• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Enthusiast Etiquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cambus731

Whenever I happen to see another bus crank taking photos somewhere, I do wonder if to say hello to him or not as while some have the air of not wishing to be disturbed, there is probably nowadays a very real possibility that our paths have crossed somewhere on the internet, so we may know of each other.
Back in summer 1991, I got chatting in Ipswich Cattle Market bus station with another crank who was a few years older than me and taking photos, and we ended up going for a pint. We never exchanged names, so I do now wonder who that may have been.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Even then. Buses dont have names or genders. Really grinds my gears when people refer to a vehicle as "she". They are vehicles, tools for business - they are non binary. They also dont have feelings, so saying a vehicle is "poorly" is a cringefest in itself, but when a vehicle is written off, exclaiming RIP is just ludicrous.

GTL in Liverpool did have a habit of putting names on their buses, here's a prime example with the name above the registration plates

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
the amount of time on facebook groups people say that and ive told them its a vehicle is unreal, people who refer to inanimate objects as “she” are definitely on the registser
Don’t know if that’s quite fair; many people ascribe that sort of pronoun to inanimate objects. Also, I’ve known many women (sadly, not as impressive boast as I’d like) who give names to THEIR cars.

I get that you can have a fondness for a particular vehicle; that bus that took you to school, or something else distinctive. It’s where people anthropomorphise buses so that they have some sort of identity or even emotions that I find a bit much.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Even then. Buses dont have names or genders. Really grinds my gears when people refer to a vehicle as "she". They are vehicles, tools for business - they are non binary. They also dont have feelings, so saying a vehicle is "poorly" is a cringefest in itself, but when a vehicle is written off, exclaiming RIP is just ludicrous.

Sometimes I just say it ironically, like when Cardiff Bus SPD 389 was scrapped I posted a mock memorial on an enthusiast page saying it had gone to the bus depot in the sky. I'm sure some people are being serious when they stuff like that though :lol:. In this case it was mainly to wind up one of the local veg who was obsessed with it, even having a profile picture of himself next to it.

carlberry

Established Member
Sometimes I just say it ironically, like when Cardiff Bus SPD 389 was scrapped I posted a mock memorial on an enthusiast page saying it had gone to the bus depot in the sky. I'm sure some people are being serious when they stuff like that though :lol:. In this case it was mainly to wind up one of the local veg who was obsessed with it, even having a profile picture of himself next to it.
It's a Dart, it would have gone the other way!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with naming vehicles. Many coach companies have done so over the years, and there'e Eddie Stobart which names all its trucks as far as I'm aware. I know friends who have had pet names for their cars (I acquired "Lucy" from one of them, and the name stuck), and I don't think there's any harm in it. I've given my cars names from time to time - usually beginning with the letter B and on cold mornings... :)

Mills444

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with naming vehicles. Many coach companies have done so over the years, and there'e Eddie Stobart which names all its trucks as far as I'm aware. I know friends who have had pet names for their cars (I acquired "Lucy" from one of them, and the name stuck), and I don't think there's any harm in it. I've given my cars names from time to time - usually beginning with the letter B and on cold mornings... :)
Nor do I however I guess it depends what the name is I think only one of my local buses has a name and it was named after a driver who sadly lost his life. oh and one more called "Thunderbolt" which is what it sounds like anyway !

When I worked for Stagecoach 50129 was the last Neoplan Skyliner on the Megabus network. The mechanics named her 'Betsy' and used different types of letters to put on her front panel. Then somebody decided to get nicely styled vinyl lettering and replace the old lettering.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As long as the naming is not offensive I can't see why anyone would be offended by it, but then some people are seemingly looking to be offended at the drop of a hat these days. Just because it may not interest you (and such things hold no interest for me) then why denigrate those for whom it's important? It's all essentially harmless.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
As long as the naming is not offensive I can't see why anyone would be offended by it, but then some people are seemingly looking to be offended at the drop of a hat these days. Just because it may not interest you (and such things hold no interest for me) then why denigrate those for whom it's important? It's all essentially harmless.
For most people, it's relatively harmless but for some folk, they do get borderline obsessive. Even then, if they're not bothering anyone then...they're not bothering anyone.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Don't Brighton and hove name their buses?

Wouldn't have thought there would be much in it :D

Not sure that Brighton & Hove naming their buses is quite the same issue. They merely allocate the name of a worthy local dignatory to each of them.

LowLevel

Established Member
I don't really have an issue with people becoming attached to vehicles. Anything with an engine, no matter how bland and boring, is a bit of a miracle of science. I spent 20 years using West Midlands Travel Metrobuses from my earliest years with my mum to commuting to my first job - I wouldn't say I was obsessive about them but even now when I come across one of the few remaining with a private operator or at a rally or similar I feel a little bit of excitement pop up. Otherwise for buses I would just say that I enjoy old, noisy machines or curiosities - and I rarely advertise the fact bar posting some well cared for preserved beast on Facebook from time to time. Bus cranks seem to be get the mick taken more than railway enthusiasts.

On the other hand as a railway guard myself I've always found the attitude of some transport employees towards enthusiasts regardless of the interest in question a little bizarre - some go out of their way to be unpleasant towards them for no good reason. It often seems to be the ones who have a bit of a closet interest in their trade who are least pleasant.

Even worse is the attitude of some preservationists who seem to resent interest in their assets from anyone outside of their own "circle", questions or interest in their charge from anyone other than a fellow 'operator' being treated with disdain.

There are plenty of oddballs about and no mistake though :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
For most people, it's relatively harmless but for some folk, they do get borderline obsessive. Even then, if they're not bothering anyone then...they're not bothering anyone.
Not too many BORDERLINE obsessives on this forum, of course....:)

LUYMun

The sort of enthusiasts who wear old uniforms and stuff are part of the reason why I don’t bother with rallies anymore
Quoting from another person, I thought you were there to enjoy the bus, not other enthusiasts! :lol:

traction22

I've just read through this thread, and quite frankly, I'm not sure why some of you are members of this forum.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I've just read through this thread, and quite frankly, I'm not sure why some of you are members of this forum.

Because thats exactly why forums exist. People have different views and different interpretations of their hobbies and past times, its hugely subjective.

Thats the great thing, people are allowed opinion and forums exist to share opinion. They exist as a place to ask questions, share knowledge and opinion and different views.

But people are also allowed to not like your opinion, but that is entirely fine, because it is just that, it's your opinion.

There is no right or wrong answer. We dont live in a communist state, no matter how much it may feel like it.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please do share your views, and maybe offer some explanation as to why others are wrong. :)

Pat1105

Because thats exactly why forums exist. People have different views and different interpretations of their hobbies and past times, its hugely subjective.

Thats the great thing, people are allowed opinion and forums exist to share opinion. They exist as a place to ask questions, share knowledge and opinion and different views.

But people are also allowed to not like your opinion, but that is entirely fine, because it is just that, it's your opinion.

There is no right or wrong answer. We dont live in a communist state, no matter how much it may feel like it.
I think forums are an excellent way to just talk buses. It’s a place where people understand what you’re saying and a place where you don’t feel embarrassed to talk about your hobby freely. Much of my knowledge has been gained by other people sharing it.
I have to say, this forum has to be the best forum that i’m on. Ever since I joined, I was made to feel welcome. The members here can have civilised discussions (apart from maybe one or two!) and you won’t be put down for having an opinion. People don’t make ridiculously stupid comments (mostly!) and the moderators are friendly, helpful and won’t slate you for doing something wrong. I’ve seen moderators on other forums/groups be quite rude, belittle or believe they are above everyone else. Yes, arguments may arise from time to time, but I think it’s only natural to either defend your opinion, or correct someone for providing incorrect information or making wildly stupid comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.