• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Enthusiast Etiquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMc7

Established Member
quite a large amount of people into buses/trains have some form of disability and tbh is probably the most common (among the younger people anyway).

Certainly I was more into buses when I was younger as it was part of helping me cope with my Aspergers. My gran used to take me on random services across Glasgow just to get out. It's definitely dropped off a lot though despite fresh air still being something that helps me

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stan Drews

Established Member
I find that most enthusiasts have their favourites, which seems to also mean that any perceived rival is bitterly hated. This seems to result in them concocting wildly inaccurate stories about those they dislike, whilst eulogising about their favoured operator.
Having been fortunate to have held management positions at a number of operators, and therefore privy to commercially sensitive facts and figures. I am frequently amused at the stories I read about the companies I have been working for, and how adamant they are when you challenge them.
I can fully understand that those not working in the industry won’t understand all the finer detail of how things work, particularly when it comes to the financial side of things, but the way some then insist that service X, Y, Z etc is profitable/loss making* when they haven’t got a clue is quite entertaining at times!

(*delete as appropriate)

DunsBus

Established Member
quite a large amount of people into buses/trains have some form of disability and tbh is probably the most common (among the younger people anyway).

I myself have Aspeger's and recall many holidays with my grandparents in Edinburgh in the decade following deregulation. I would often travel on the LRT out of town runs both with my grandad and latterly by myself, not just to see the scenery but as a form of escapism as well. It had to be the front seats upstairs and I would often let a bus go past and wait for the next one if both front seats were taken. Even now I still prefer to sit at the front upstairs on a double decker, whenever possible - even if it means being at the start point long before the bus is due.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Most definitely.

And yes, I'm not sure why these people are in these groups if it's just to ridicule others/colleagues for having a hobby.

On another topic I was a long time lurker on this forum and only signed up to correct another enthusiast-driver who posted as fact that Cardiff Bus (who run most of the local services in and to the town of Barry) were pulling out of the town entirely due to low patronage and unsustainable losses or something along those lines. In fact the total opposite was true - bigger buses were solely needed on two of the routes but the union were firmly blocking it.

Nowadays I see complete wibble being posted about Lothian as fact on Facebook (one example XLBs being sold to Stagecoach or Musselburgh being sold back to First) but it's really best not to get involved with these people. There's no educating some folk so just leave them to their bus fantasy world.

Indeed, never made any sense to me at all!

Rumours can spread easily, and they're normally started by the same people who don't read sentences properly. There's nothing wrong with speculation, it's part of the fun of the "hobby" and i can guarantee every member on here has done it at some point, the issue arises when speculation is presented as fact. I won't name names but there was someone on a Facebook group claiming First Scotland East were going out of business on one post, then on another post they were claiming First are buying 20 new double deckers for West Lothian, obviously neither were true! With the latter entirely contradicting the first claim!

Not to be pejorative, and this is said with the greatest sensitivity, but I think that buses (along with trains and planes) are attractive to people who may be a further way along the autistic spectrum than others. The attraction of numbers, sequences etc.... That might be a horrible stereotype but think there is some credence in it and may explain certain behaviours.

I don't think that's unfair to say, there is definitely a higher proportion of enthusiasts who are autistic, dare i say it there's probably more who are than aren't!

The sort of enthusiasts who wear old uniforms and stuff are part of the reason why I don’t bother with rallies anymore, it just gives the hobby a bad name, a bad name it already has

There's also enthusiasts who wear company uniform (often Stagecoach...) as regular clothes. I tend to find the smaller more local rallies are better

That's a fair view but it should be said that if anyone proffers an opinion on a notice board like this, then they are by that act asking people to review and put forward alternative views that may challenge yours.

As long as contrary views and questions are put forward in a constructive manner that does respects the individual and siterules, then that too is valid criticism.

Sadly due to the negative stereotypical view the general public have of people with an interest in buses/trains you do get people who are embarrassed and/or ashamed to call themselves an enthusiast.

RustySpoons

Have to admit I find some of the Transdev enthusiasts can be pretty intense at times, especially the ones that seem to worship the ground on which the CEO walks on and won't allow any sort of criticism about the company. I used to regularly get abusive messages threatening me with violence because I dared to offer my personal opinion on the new liveries. At the other end of the scale there are 'enthusiasts' that seem to hate the company and are hoping it's destined for failure.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Thank god - I thought it was just me! One visit to Showbus and that was enough for me o_O
I think I first attended a rally in the late 1970s, and I doubt if I've been to as many as a dozen in the intervening years. I'm very happy that almost everyone else there knows more about the individual buses than I do, but I'm not interested in mixing with them generally speaking. Even photographing some of the buses in my own imperfect way has been spoiled by the would-be David Baileys demanding that everyone else get out of their way. And don't get me on the subject of portaloos!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
[/QUOTE]
I don't think that's unfair to say, there is definitely a higher proportion of enthusiasts who are autistic, dare i say it there's probably more who are than aren't!
id say over 3/4 of bus/train/plane veg are either above 50/60 years old or have a disability

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by how good the mods are on here. It's good to know things get dealt with quickly and helpfully
Awfully nice of you to say so :) (cheque's in the post...)

think I first attended a rally in the late 1970s, and I doubt if I've been to as many as a dozen in the intervening years. I'm very happy that almost everyone else there knows more about the individual buses than I do, but I'm not interested in mixing with them generally speaking. Even photographing some of the buses in my own imperfect way has been spoiled by the would-be David Baileys demanding that everyone else get out of their way. And don't get me on the subject of portaloos!
There are portaloo spotters? ;)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think I first attended a rally in the late 1970s, and I doubt if I've been to as many as a dozen in the intervening years. I'm very happy that almost everyone else there knows more about the individual buses than I do, but I'm not interested in mixing with them generally speaking. Even photographing some of the buses in my own imperfect way has been spoiled by the would-be David Baileys demanding that everyone else get out of their way. And don't get me on the subject of portaloos!

Nothing gets on my nerves at a rally more than the enthusiasts who think it's their right to tell you to get out their way so they can get a photo!

id say over 3/4 of bus/train/plane veg are either above 50/60 years old or have a disability

I'd disagree with the first part, there's a surprisingly higher amount of younger enthusiasts. When i went to school there was about 10 of us that were a bus and/or train enthusiast of some sort! I think the reason there's a perception that most are older is because younger enthusiasts are less likely to join clubs or trusts.

There are portaloo spotters? ;)

If it's anything close there's a hand dryer spotter (yes the air blowing contraptions you get in public restrooms) who's also a bus enthusiast...

Andyh82

Established Member
Thank god - I thought it was just me! One visit to Showbus and that was enough for me o_O
You’d be browsing a stall, and then a bloke would join you browsing smelling like he last had a bath before deregulation. Then someone else would appear and start talking in an overly loud voice that Stagecoach are buying Arriva or some other obvious nonsense and go on for about 5 mins. So many of the old anorak ‘Roy Cropper’ stereotypes in evidence that are sadly often true.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Stagecoach/First/Cardiff Bus/Newport Bus* are closing/withdrawing etc and NAT are going to go in all guns blazing.

It’s been the same wibble from him for the past decade, still waiting for Stagecoach to buy First Cyrmu :lol:

*delete as appropriate.

Your post put a smile on my face, and indeed. Not really for this forum but that person once tried to get me in work trouble over a personal disagreement nothing to do with buses/my job - the bizarre complaint was met with much amusement by management and myself when they showed it to me.

The people you meet in this hobby, eh? :lol:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
You’d be browsing a stall, and then a bloke would join you browsing smelling like he last had a bath before deregulation. Then someone else would appear and start talking in an overly loud voice that Stagecoach are buying Arriva or some other obvious nonsense and go on for about 5 mins. So many of the old anorak ‘Roy Cropper’ stereotypes in evidence that are sadly often true.

I laughed at that harder than i should have. But it's sadly all too true... Particularly the first part!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

You’ve summed it up. Some bloke shambling about wearing a 1982 Wallace Arnold blazer, but otherwise looking like Tracey Emin’s bed, twittering on about AEC Reliance 670s..... I felt my very life force leave me. First time I’d had an out of body experience without prescription drugs....

carlberry

Established Member
You’ve summed it up. Some bloke shambling about wearing a 1982 Wallace Arnold blazer, but otherwise looking like Tracey Emin’s bed, twittering on about AEC Reliance 670s..... I felt my very life force leave me. First time I’d had an out of body experience without prescription drugs....
I only talked to you because you were posing in a 1988 Tees and District T shirt! And you started on about 670s!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Going into pedantic mode (which is perfectly fine in a thread discussing the more anorakish side of things), are they not Reliance 760s?

(Maybe we can share that taxi, TGW)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I only talked to you because you were posing in a 1988 Tees and District T shirt! And you started on about 670s!

<edges away from @carlberry citing something other to do> ;)

Going into pedantic mode (which is perfectly fine in a thread discussing the more anorakish side of things), are they not Reliance 760s?

(Maybe we can share that taxi, TGW)

I did wonder who might correct me on that :lol:

Interesting thread, I think it's fair to say the enthusiasts were not held in the highest regard by many drivers, the trick was to wave at them when they took a photo as, apparently, they then didn't want the picture, at least so we were told. Each to their own, it would be a boring world if we were all interested in the same thing.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Interesting thread, I think it's fair to say the enthusiasts were not held in the highest regard by many drivers, the trick was to wave at them when they took a photo as, apparently, they then didn't want the picture, at least so we were told. Each to their own, it would be a boring world if we were all interested in the same thing.

I think as long as they’re not trespassing or endangering themselves or others, then what’s the harm.

Certainly, I’ve no interest in standing at the exit of some cold bus station ticking off numbers but if someone does, then so what.

Oddly, for years I’ve had days out (starting with Explorer trips in NBC days) and record when and where AND on what. The latter detail being utterly pointless as I don’t tick off numbers.

Journeyman

Established Member
My interest has mainly been trains, although I've gone through phases of being into buses, so I've experienced enthusiasm in several spheres. I think it's very true that autistic spectrum disorders are often the drivers for some of the more weirdly obsessive behaviours in the enthusiast community, but also some things come out of being young. I used to be a keen spotter as a teen and twentysomething, but I haven't felt the need to collect numbers for years, and my interest in most forms of transport is now driven more by my enjoyment of travel than any rivet-counting obsessions.

I think, like most things, that the degree you're drawn in and the level it takes over your life are the significant factors as to whether you harm yourself or others, if that makes sense. If you have a well-rounded life with plenty of interests and a good social life, no-one will bat an eyelid if you have a soft spot for a particular bus. If it becomes all-consuming and excludes everything else, such as a normal social life, or familiarity with soap, then that's a problem. I do have a tendency to take things very seriously, which was a problem when I was younger, but it's much less of an issue as I career chaotically towards middle age, and I'd like to think I'm pretty well-rounded.

Something that has always bothered me, though, is that if you're obsessive about football, no-one will bat an eyelid, but an equivalent level of obsession about practically anything else will get you labelled as some sort of weirdo.

carlberry

Established Member
I'd suspect that waving would be viewed as positive. Flicking the Vs was a (fairly uncommon) way of reacting, I even had a driver from one of the smaller independants in the West Midlands who managed to flick the Vs and continue his conversation on a mobile phone at the same time! (Neither of which actually showed in the photo). Such skills need to be used in some way, however I'd prefer not in a heavy vehicle!

Cambus731

I tend to to use the term 'bus crank' rather than enthusiast. What do others on here refer to themselves as, if at all?

darloscott

I feel obliged to chime in to this thread having been part of the 'community' for about 15 years, starting out as one of those who would travel around and photograph buses and then eventually working in the industry for the last 10 years, as a driver and higher. My interest these days tends to be in the operational side of things and how things run... indeed I've been in for (tho not got!) jobs in the big groups in the network planning and commercial side of things. In my previous job I did have chance to try running a little network myself and have the bug for it now!
As for how I see others, some it makes me cringe but others have a healthy interest and that's never a bad thing, I have worked for some managers who couldn't care less and some managers who would openly admit they have an interest and I could tell you there is obvious (to me at least) signs of who are the more successful.
There's a definite autistic trait in most of the community and that probably comes down to the interest in 'collecting' things whether that be numbers, photos, memorabilia etc. I try to help out as best I can with information where possible and as long as others aren't harming others or being a nuisance (as mentioned in depots etc) then each to their own as I see it.

route101

Established Member
Certainly I was more into buses when I was younger as it was part of helping me cope with my Aspergers. My gran used to take me on random services across Glasgow just to get out. It's definitely dropped off a lot though despite fresh air still being something that helps me

I love getting about on the buses, generally prefer going to new places and new routes than the same old though. Makes me happier. In addition im slowly trying to do all the lines in the uk with passenger services.

PeterC

Established Member
Something that has always bothered me, though, is that if you're obsessive about football, no-one will bat an eyelid, but an equivalent level of obsession about practically anything else will get you labelled as some sort of weirdo.
That has always got to me as well. Certainly dressing up in a bus company uniform is no weirder than dressing up in football kit to go to the pub.

carlberry

Established Member
That has always got to me as well. Certainly dressing up in a bus company uniform is no weirder than dressing up in football kit to go to the pub.
Perhaps the answer is to ensure that all bus companies have their uniforms sponsored by photo copier producers!

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I'd say that it is, and I think most would agree. It would be like buying ASDA uniform and dressing up to go shopping because it's your preferred supermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.