• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

Where do you see possible bus extensions for your local network or other places that you know of?
X53 Exeter-Poole Express (First)
I would extend from Poole to Bournemouth, maybe the train station for a backup route if the SWML faulters, and this would allow for more connections as a result.
A Plymouth extension may be worth considering, and who said the X53 had to serve solely the Jurassic Coast?
31 Axminster-Weymouth local (First)
I would extend to Taunton on the Axminster side and Portland on the Weymouth side, to start a more frequent service using spare stock caused by merging with the 30 Axminster-Taunton and 10 Dorchester-Portland.
31 Preston-Lea via Savick (Preston Bus)
I would split the bus into two, 31 and 32, the 32 being a peak-only service to Salwick BNFL and the 31 extending to Clifton, freeing up a need for the 68 to serve Clifton, this would lower journey times but I would still run a couple a day down Clifton to allow people to still access Blackpool and the area.

These are my ideas, make sure yours are viable and it will be okay from there onwards. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
I would split the bus into two, 31 and 32, the 32 being a peak-only service to Salwick BNFL and the 31 extending to Clifton, freeing up a need for the 68 to serve Clifton, this would lower journey times but I would still run a couple a day down Clifton to allow people to still access Blackpool and the area.

The Stagecoach 68 doesn't serve Clifton, it's the 61 that does that.

What about some sort of low-frequency Preston Bus service extension to Clifton, Newton-with-Scales and Kirkham & Wesham (possible further to Wrea Green)? All places which feature "Preston" in their addresses, but there may be demand when Stagecoach run their additional 'Preston College' bus from the area.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Well, I'd like to see an Exeter-Poole Express; the X53 certainly isn't, it's aimed at Tourists. Perhaps an Exeter-Axminster-Bridport-Dorchester-Poole limited stop service might be useful, since it's a very long way round by Train.
Extending the 31 to Taunton would be useful, to be sure, though that would take it into S&A territory, and First companies are never very good at acknowledging the existence of their neighbours. Perhaps if the Weymouth side was taken under S&A it might encourage a bit of coordination.

VTPreston_Tez

The Stagecoach 68 doesn't serve Clifton, it's the 61 that does that.

What about some sort of low-frequency Preston Bus service extension to Clifton, Newton-with-Scales and Kirkham & Wesham (possible further to Wrea Green)? All places which feature "Preston" in their addresses, but there may be demand when Stagecoach run their additional 'Preston College' bus from the area.

That would work, with another service down towards Salwick certainly would be a hit.

I would have a service operating from Preston to Barton Grange via the Orbital route up to the Black Bull, then via the 40/41 route to BG where it would terminate. Summer smash.
Maybe divert the Orbital via Ainsdale Drive, that would be another popular idea *tezneeds* and would serve another school, and linking Savick DIRECTLY to like 6 more schools and a hypermarket, something we've longed for since the 88C diversions last year (and one that turned the wrong way earlier this week, I saw the full thing through my window)
Maybe extend the 22 Preston-Fulwood to Ribbleton/Longridge via Preston College and make it an express, college link + Longridge + high school link = winner.

Ivo

Established Member
Well, I'd like to see an Exeter-Poole Express; the X53 certainly isn't, it's aimed at Tourists. Perhaps an Exeter-Axminster-Bridport-Dorchester-Poole limited stop service might be useful, since it's a very long way round by Train.
Extending the 31 to Taunton would be useful, to be sure, though that would take it into S&A territory, and First companies are never very good at acknowledging the existence of their neighbours. Perhaps if the Weymouth side was taken under S&A it might encourage a bit of coordination.

Is there a 53 or similar, hence the use of "X"? If not, why not introduce a faster X53 and drop the X from the existing route?

Established Member
Where do you see possible bus extensions for your local network or other places that you know of?

I'd propose an addition to Lothian's Nightbus network with the N36.
The majority of the route would remain unchanged, except for the Ocean terminal end not being the terminus.
It would still stop there, but the route would be extended from there along Lindsay Road, Pier Place, Starbank Road and Lower Granton road to Granton Square, where it would terminate.
This would fill the gap in the Nightbus map on the North side of the city.
It would run with a 30 minute frequency, as the day route does, and use the green buses like the 36 does, but would probably need to use all of them (the 36 uses all but one).

VTPreston_Tez

Is there a 53 or similar, hence the use of "X"? If not, why not introduce a faster X53 and drop the X from the existing route?

Nope. Most of the X53 route (Portesham-West Bay) is exclusive. I do agree though, a 53 would work and the X53 just Plymouth-Exeter-Bridport-West Bay-Burton Bradstock-Dorchester (new town served)-Weymouth-Wareham-Poole-Bournemouth. The 53 would serve all the villages Exeter-Weymouth and 2 per day Plymouth-Bournemouth local (that'd take about 7/8 hours and would need breaks at Exeter, Bridport, Weymouth (new service station needed) and probably Poole.

SS4

Established Member
Some night buses for Birmingham would be nice.
To Sutton Coldfield via Aston and Erdington
To West Bromwich via Handsworth
To Birmingham International Airport via Castle Bromwich and Chelmsley Wood
Or express to the Airport

Not sure how feasible it'd be especially since few, if any, would be profitable

Ivo

Established Member
I do agree though, a 53 would work and the X53 just Plymouth-Exeter-Bridport-West Bay-Burton Bradstock-Dorchester (new town served)-Weymouth-Wareham-Poole-Bournemouth. The 53 would serve all the villages Exeter-Weymouth and 2 per day Plymouth-Bournemouth local (that'd take about 7/8 hours and would need breaks at Exeter, Bridport, Weymouth (new service station needed) and probably Poole.

Plymouth is too far. In my opinion any 53 idea should run no further east than Weymouth and neither should run west of Exeter. I see no reason why a revised X53 couldn't run to Bournemouth though (probably non-stop between Poole and Gervis Place; then the Interchange).

martinsh

Established Member
Too many possibilities to mention but how about a Nantwich - Crewe - Hanley express services via A500 ? Would be much quicker than existing services via Kidsgrove or Newcastle.

Ivo

Established Member
If they were operated by the same company I would say that the 55 and 231/232 routes in Chippenham could be merged to provide a Bath to Swindon through route. But the 55 is 3bph, whereas the 231/232 are only 2bph and tend to use smaller vehicles. There is certainly a market out there; the 55 is even advertised at Bath Bus Station! But as long as Stagecoach run the 55 and First run the 231/232 it will never happen (unless alternate journeys as on the X14 are introduced). Speaking of the 55, it would make a good candidate for Gold status (unlike the recently upgraded 66, which doesn't), but I can't see it happening any time soon. Some of the 55-branded Enviro 400s are 61-reg as it is - would they really replace them so soon?

I would say the 173 in Bath could be extended to Street, providing 1bph from Street to both Bath and Bristol - but from what I can tell, the 376 extension is being withdrawn, making it rather pointless :|

Schnellzug

Established Member
The X53 is limited stop in places (Leaving Poole comes to mind)

Yes, and in the Exeter area, but otherwise the only thing X about it is the X-cessive fares ..

... sorry, it was just an attempt at a Pun.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would say the 173 in Bath could be extended to Street, providing 1bph from Street to both Bath and Bristol - but from what I can tell, the 376 extension is being withdrawn, making it rather pointless :|

I'd have thought there'd be a market for a Bath-Glastonbury/Street through service.
the 376 extention is being withdrawn? The extension to where?

Ivo

Established Member
The 376 runs Bristol to Wells every 30 minutes, with alternate journeys continuing to Street. The Street section is being withdrawn.

376 Wells to Bristol – First
Timetable is amended to improve reliability. The route between Wells and Street has been withdrawn.

http://www.travelbristol.org/sites/default/files/Bus - Service Change - 1st April 2012 d.pdf

They always say "to improve reliability" - but how often is this true...?

N.B.: There are still three other buses between Wells and Street every hour.

pemma

Veteran Member
Route 88 Knutsford-Wilmslow-Altrincham and Route 200 Wilmslow-Styal-Manchester Airport should be revised to give a Knutsford-Wilmslow-Manchester Airport service and a Wilmslow-Altrincham bus service.

Also extend the Friday and Saturday Manchester-Altrincham night bus to Knutsford via Hale as a lot of people complain about the rail not staying in operation longer on Friday and Saturday night.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTPreston_Tez

How about extending the Stagecoach in Lancashire/Manchester X61 Blackpool-Manchester to the Airport?
I would extend a few 31/44 Preston Bus services via Preston City Trampolining Club, this would ease walking times down the road and behind it there's new station potential (hmm?)
I'd make a new bus station at the Lea Gate, or make one just west of the old Lea Road station with a re-opened station, that linking to London/Brum/Glasgow/Edinburgh a few times day with direct links to Blackpool Airport by train or bus would be a fantastic step for the bus companies and even for Northern/TPE and Virgin if they choose to extend their Voyagers that way (Pendos would require electric but at least there's a spare loco which could help)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Nope. Most of the X53 route (Portesham-West Bay) is exclusive. I do agree though, a 53 would work and the X53 just Plymouth-Exeter-Bridport-West Bay-Burton Bradstock-Dorchester (new town served)-Weymouth-Wareham-Poole-Bournemouth. The 53 would serve all the villages Exeter-Weymouth and 2 per day Plymouth-Bournemouth local (that'd take about 7/8 hours and would need breaks at Exeter, Bridport, Weymouth (new service station needed) and probably Poole.

To extend the route you will need the permission of both Devon and Dorset county councils. X53 used to run to Bournemouth, however with the Explorer being accepted on W&D buses, I can't see there being much of a need for Poole-Bournemouth running.

Running an express is a good idea. I'm not sure about the extensions at either end, although extending to Torquay in competition with Stagecoach could be an idea. The express can run along the same route to Wareham, A352 to Dorchester, then A35 quite merrily and provide a joint service between Dorchester and Bridport with the 31, then Charmouth, Axminster, Honiton, then the A30 to Exeter Airport and into town via Heavitree. Unfortunately I can't see it being viable at the eastern end without going that way as there would not be much custom at all along the way via Bere Regis.

The only issue with this proposal is funding. Can such a service be viable commercially? Maybe a trial run of 3/4 journeys each way can be done to gauge public opinion, winded down to 2 journeys a day during winter months. I do agree that this provides a very well-planned link between the two branches of the SWT network, which is currently only served by the 31.

Finally they need to use coach stocks if they expect people to use the express route for long journeys. I have done day returns for end-to-end journeys on the very first Scanias, and it was not fun.

Yes, and in the Exeter area, but otherwise the only thing X about it is the X-cessive fares ..

They are expensive for short journeys, however the Explorer was, and still is, exceptional value for longer journeys. I used to hop onboard just to buy the ticket before hopping off to use a W&D bus. Used to save me £2.99. (First £5, W&D £7.99.)

Ivo

Established Member
They are expensive for short journeys, however the Explorer was, and still is, exceptional value for longer journeys. I used to hop onboard just to buy the ticket before hopping off to use a W&D bus. Used to save me £2.99. (First £5, W&D £7.99.)

A bus fare that ends in .99? Never! :lol:

I may have to give the X53 a go before my mad run in the Summer. So I know what I'm letting myself in for on the longest single planned journey...

VTPreston_Tez

A bus fare that ends in .99? Never! :lol:

I may have to give the X53 a go before my mad run in the Summer. So I know what I'm letting myself in for on the longest single planned journey...

The ride is absolutely fantastic between West Bay and Portesham. I'd more than happily come with you...:P

bb21 said:
The only issue with this proposal is funding. Can such a service be viable commercially? Maybe a trial run of 3/4 journeys each way can be done to gauge public opinion, winded down to 2 journeys a day during winter months. I do agree that this provides a very well-planned link between the two branches of the SWT network, which is currently only served by the 31.

Trials are always the best thing, and all my ideas must be trialled first. Dorset travel is dominated by the X53, 31, and to a degree the 45, 47 and 71 (Lyme Regis Orbital and Bridport-Maiden Newton Station)
I do agree, at least these buses are my strong point so I can provide decent information/extensions lmao :D

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I would like the TrawsCambria X50 (Cardigan - Aberystwyth) to be extended to Aberystwyth (despite being known as a Cardigan - Aberystwyth service, only 4 trips a day actually go to Aberystwyth, the other services are Cardigan - Aberaeron only). Better yet, refurbish the two X40 (Cardiff) TrawsCambria buses (still sitting unused behind Arriva's Aberystwyth depot I think, since the X40 stopped) and give them to Richards Bros (who work the X50) and extend the X50 to run between Aberystwyth and the new Fishguard & Goodwick station (extending from Goodwick to St. Davids would be better still, but there aren't enough Tempos to have a spare (though the X50 doesn't currently have spares anyway, if one of the two goes missing it has to be replaced with something with insufficent leg room)).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How about extending the Stagecoach in Lancashire/Manchester X61 Blackpool-Manchester to the Airport?

I am surprised that someone with an intimate knowledge of Preston bus services is not aware that the X61 no longer operates from Manchester to Blackpool.

What has replaced it is service X25 from Preston to Manchester Shudehill Interchange that takes in the Trafford Centre on certain journeys, but has not the same number of services by any means as did the X61.

Last edited:

VTPreston_Tez

I am surprised that someone with an intimate knowledge of Preston bus services is not aware that the X61 no longer operates from Manchester to Blackpool.

What has replaced it is service X25 from Preston to Manchester Shudehill Interchange that takes in the Trafford Centre on certain journeys, but has not the same number of services by any means as did the X61.

I would re-extend the X61. I thought it was reinstated anyway...?
Where does the X61 go nowadays then, or is it not in service? If not, reinstate.
A third Park&Ride also, running from Barton Grange or Garstang P&R (new area, with train link?) to the UCLAN roundabout, up via Brook Street to turn back around and have its terminus outside the Mad Ferret. Sadly the 3's already been taken...

mbonwick

Established Member
X60/1 have been cancelled, they were making huge losses. The X25 is an attempt to see if the route can ever turn a profit, and at the moment that doesn't look likely, so I doubt it will last much longer.

You must also remember that X60/1 were operated by Chorley depot, getting them to work onto Preston local services will be difficult both for vehicle allocation and drivers hours.

VTPreston_Tez

X60/1 have been cancelled, they were making huge losses. The X25 is an attempt to see if the route can ever turn a profit, and at the moment that doesn't look likely, so I doubt it will last much longer.

You must also remember that X60/1 were operated by Chorley depot, getting them to work onto Preston local services will be difficult both for vehicle allocation and drivers hours.

They were very bad, mainly because they didn't serve the three western estates in the Lea area unlike the 68 and 61, I know the X buses used to and that's where they turned in profit.
Preston Bus running coaches on the X61 route is something I'd like to see.

mbonwick

Established Member
I fail to see what you're getting at (apart from living in the clouds).

The estates you mentioned are already well served - hence there's no need for X60/1 as it was to serve them. The X60/1 have not made a profit for many years - and that's coming from Stagecoach themselves.

Finally, if Stagecoach can't make money on the route, why would Preston Bus even bother considering starting a competing route? Incidentally, X61 did used to have coaches on it while operated by Preston.

martinsh

Established Member
Route 88 Knutsford-Wilmslow-Altrincham and Route 200 Wilmslow-Styal-Manchester Airport should be revised to give a Knutsford-Wilmslow-Manchester Airport service and a Wilmslow-Altrincham bus service.

Either that or have a Northwich - Knutsford - M56 - Airport service, and extend Airport - Wilmslow to Macclesfield via Alderley Edge, Mottram St Andrew and Prestbury (as it used to do).

I think Knutsford - Wilmslow - Altrincham as a service predates Manchester Airport ! It certainly goes back to Crosville days.

More generally, Wilmslow is in dire need of a decent bus service. There are HUGE areas with no public transport at all.

MK Tom

Established Member
I'd like to see the Arriva 100 and 300 combined to link MK to south Bucks. I'd also like to see a faster alternative to the X4, seeing as at the moment it's 90 minutes faster to take the X5 to St. Neots and the train from there. I'd also really like to see a direct Brackley-MK service, possibly running through from Banbury.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Either that or have a Northwich - Knutsford - M56 - Airport service, and extend Airport - Wilmslow to Macclesfield via Alderley Edge, Mottram St Andrew and Prestbury (as it used to do).

The existing 289 service, run by GHA Coaches, with five journeys a day on Mondays to Saturdays, runs from Northwich to Altrincham interchange, via Wincham, Knutsford, Bucklow Hill and Little Bollington. It would be a logical service extension from Altrincham to Manchester Airport, which would give the residents of the Knutsford area a direct service to Manchester Airport.

The 199 Buxton to Manchester Airport service, soon to be part of the new High Peak operation, is a good example of giving a direct bus link to Manchester Airport from outlying areas such as Stockport, Disley, New Mills Newtown, Furness Vale, Whaley Bridge, Chapel en le Frith, Dove Holes and Buxton.

The few services on the TransPeak (also soon to be in the new High Peak fold) that run direct from Nottingham/Derby to Manchester could also take the route on the M56 from Stockport to Manchester Airport (similar to that taken by the 199 service), before then using the M56/A5103 to Manchester. I am sure that this route diversion would be useful to those who live in Bakewell and Matlock.

pemma

Veteran Member
More generally, Wilmslow is in dire need of a decent bus service. There are HUGE areas with no public transport at all.

They should really look at a Wilmslow Interchange, similar to Altrincham Interchange. Having a couple of bus stops on both sides of a road is not really ideal.

The existing 289 service, run by GHA Coaches, with five journeys a day on Mondays to Saturdays, runs from Northwich to Altrincham interchange, via Wincham, Knutsford, Bucklow Hill and Little Bollington.

The 289 route was revised slightly not that long ago to take in High Legh. High Legh is also served by the 47 Warrington route but that was reduced from 3-5 return workings per day to 4 return workings per week when Cheshire County Council refused Warrington Borough Transport's request for an increased subsidy and the route was transferred to Town & District Travel - now Tomlinson Travel.

The recent change of operator has seen the unit used change to a smaller Optare Solo bus. There's just the one unit used on the 289 all day.

The 88 route has 2 x Optare Versa and a Dennis Dart allocated to it, with sometimes Dennis Darts filling in for the route branded Optare Versas. The standard pattern only requires two buses so one bus is spare most of the day - except on Wednesday when one of the buses runs empty from Knutsford to Disley after the morning peak, to run the RR3 Disley-Macclesfield service. This is despite the fact that on paper the RR3 is operated by GHA and the 88 is operated by Vale Travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.