• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus hits bridge in Bristol (10/9/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

father_jack

And one in the centre of Bristol today, a road over road bridge....
DOUBLE-DECKER BUS ROOF RIPPED OFF AFTER CRASHING INTO BRIDGE
By MARTIN BOOTH, Thursday Sep 10, 2020

Close to Banksy’s Hanging Man, a double-decker bus’ roof was hanging off on Thursday evening.

The crash happened as the bus was being inexplicably driven underneath a low bridge from Frogmore Street towards Frog Lane.
The blue bus ended up wedged underneath Park Street, with its white roof hanging off close to Sergio’s Italian restaurant.

Fortunately, nobody was injured in the crash, which resulted in the section of Park Street closest to the bridge being temporarily closed, and Frog Lane remaining closed until Friday morning at the earliest.
The vehicle is thought to be an out of service school bus, with a sign for St Bede’s seen in the front window.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Blimey, this is happening on almost a weekly basis somewhere.

fgwrich

Established Member
9/10 times they just tidy up the upper deck edges and make it an open topper, ready to ply its trade on some seafront

First Glasgow should have some open top MMCs soon then

Given the age of this one though, and the flood of ex Lothian open toppers on the market, I would be surprised if this one becomes an open topper. I believe it was another owned by Dawson Rentals and leased to First (LR52BLK - Ex Metroline).

carlberry

Established Member
First Glasgow should have some open top MMCs soon then

Given the age of this one though, and the flood of ex Lothian open toppers on the market, I would be surprised if this one becomes an open topper. I believe it was another owned by Dawson Rentals and leased to First (LR52BLK - Ex Metroline).
This was leased to First last Christmas and went back in January.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any stats out there for the number(s) of just how many unscheduled conversions there are of double deckers into open top buses? (And do such incidents tend to gain more media attention than other RTCs might, being decidedly newsworthy?)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Blimey, this is happening on almost a weekly basis somewhere.
Possibly a spike in September when the schools go back and new operators start running the contracts - or existing operators have changed personnel or everyone's just forgotten where you can't send a decker?

father_jack

TOTALLY uncorroborated rumours of it being the driver's first day and of insurance misgivings for the vehicle are doing the rounds.....

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm sure that the truth will come out in due course, but until then let's not start pointing the finger or get bogged down in speculation.
If any further, verifiable, information comes to light, feel free to report this post and we'll consider reopening the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.