• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Managment Game

What do you think of the idea

• Would play it

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Sounds intresting

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Plain NO

• You should be banned for saying that

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

morgantyreman

Im thinking of starting a fourm baced bus managment game and i was wondering if people where intrested. Im looking at maps and stuff now and im thinksing of the uks biggest citys. There is a game already like this on another fourm but i would like to make my own. So what do you think? I still need to talk to the he fourm manament people but this is just like registered intrest.

Thanks morgan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

morgantyreman

what even if it way totaly diffrent to the other game ?
Having second thought now .
ooo what about a truck managment game. there isnt one of them iv checked
*Buy lorries
*bid for contracts
* ect ect

T

Tom

Depends on the format really ... the only reason why we have RailNetwork on here is because another one shut down and some of us wanted to continue with it.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I'm not sure it would work too well tbh. Having been involved with at least 4 different games of similar format, it is clear that London based games work easier and are more popular than games based around other areas. It's also very difficult to keep all parties interested and develop a set of rules that are realistic enough for one group of participants but fun and felxible enough for another group. Having a scout around on Yahoo groups should bring up a few such games. One things for certain though, you can pretty much guarantee a fairly big argument every couple of months and a load of people who will start playing and then just dissapear, leaving only a handful of 'regulars', so to speak.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Tom said:
Depends on the format really ... the only reason why we have RailNetwork on here is because another one shut down and some of us wanted to continue with it.
And completely cloned Inter-Network Rail too. Who was the one that always wanted that bit of power in I-NR Tom? Now he's got it in RailNetwork and that's even quieter than I-NR.

Judgement! ;)

T

Tom

It's actually quiet because we have a few things planned for it - but then again... I was always complaining about the bias in it (which did exist!), not so much in RN.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Tom said:
Am I allowed to start a strike for no apparent reason and try to get other members to join in by lying to them? ;)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Tom said:
It's actually quiet because we have a few things planned for it - but then again... I was always complaining about the bias in it (which did exist!), not so much in RN.

Yes unfortunately we had some sensible people in our ranks that thought your ideas such as a Bournemouth Airport underground Rail Link was a stupid idea.

So yeah, we were biased, against stupid ideas. But we were by far a better setup than you, we went into detail, whereas you dont even have the definition of detail in your dictionary.

T

Tom

Hmm, I also remember the fact that the Watford Junction Metropolitan Line link took around 4 months to organise and we still got no-where, whereas you installed a crossover at Nottingham station and got it approved same day as application... oh the wonders of bias.

Tomnick

Established Member
Oh, please! There's much more worthwhile things going on in the world today - let's argue about them instead.

Tom, for the record, I think you'll find that your project, involving several miles of new railway with a dubious cost/benefit ratio, was considerably larger than a single crossover at Nottingham ;).

Guinness

Established Member
Tom said:
Hmm, I also remember the fact that the Watford Junction Metropolitan Line link took around 4 months to organise and we still got no-where, whereas you installed a crossover at Nottingham station and got it approved same day as application... oh the wonders of bias.

Let me add a couple of points in before this gets any further.

There was a previous thread about this a while back and I seem to have received a Strike for it and you personally never explained to me why I got it. And to add to that the thread and post in question have been deleted from public view. Biased? Perhaps. Resorting to using Moderator Control Panels wrongfully? Perhaps.

The post I quoted above I and other have explained to you numerous times and yet ignored it. An entire extension of the Met Line does require some discussion whether it's economically viable or not. Engineering staff can't say "Yes. Go ahead" straight away and it requires more thinking and looking at plans you provided. You provided little detail and drew a map based on the current LU to extend the line via Watford High Street. The Engineering staff then have to find out what exactly you are doing because you have failed to post details etc. The engineering team don't have 12 hours a day to run I-NR!! Since you haven't provided sufficient detail the engineering team have to find the plans themselves. Time consuming.

Now this crossover. Very little work and planning is needed for a additional crossover. IIRC The crossover plans had a Simple Diagram and reasons for it been built. Nothing major a crossover and it went ahead because it increased efficiency in Nottingham.

An additional Crossover and LUL Extensions are in two different leagues, as Tomnick has clearly pointed out.

The game format is still subject to partial Copyright to the original authors of which you never asked for any sort of permission for it to go ahead. RN is a near complete copy of I-NR.

BTW I'd be most greatful if you didn't delete this post and give me a ban for no apparent reason. That be grand! ;)

T

Tom

We did actually ask for permissions - the basis of it is dissimilar - you'll actually find that the things which are similar had nothing to do with me!

Guinness

Established Member
Tom said:
We did actually ask for permissions - the basis of it is dissimilar - you'll actually find that the things which are similar had nothing to do with me!

I got the impression that were the founder and manager of RN when it was launched and under development. I guess it didn't take you long to develop RN. Right we need an enginerring forum, a press release forum etc. No new ideas of course.....

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Call me daft, but sureley there's a limit to how far this 'copyright' nonsense can go? Hell, I'm sure this entire forum must be a copyright breach for daring to establish itself as another place for rail enthusiasts to chat... ;) :rolleyes:

T

Tom

Also the fact that it is intellectual property and NOT copyright...

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Tom said:
There are new ideas there - you just haven't seen them yet!

That's like me starting up a company called Microsoft and then when I recieve a nice letter from Bill Gates' company, replying and saying "That's not the full company name, it's just an abbreviation of a longer name you have not seen yet"

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Lewisham2221 said:
Call me daft, but sureley there's a limit to how far this 'copyright' nonsense can go? Hell, I'm sure this entire forum must be a copyright breach for daring to establish itself as another place for rail enthusiasts to chat... ;) :rolleyes:
Indeed. Of course someone should be able to do a bus game, in the same general setup as a TOC game. If it was going to be copied exactly and then re-worded for buses instead of trains, then permission should be sought, but no-one can copyright the general idea! It would never even reach court if someone tried.

However I advise against it - simply because of the arguments, as indeed this topic proves.

Morgan if you are looking for some things to do to pass time, I suggest going to school/college, go out photting, and maybe volunteer at somewhere like the KWVR. Real life stuff is better, trust me.

T

Tom

Jamie, the name Microsoft is trademark and the American legal system is mad ... they sued someone called Mike Rowe for having mikerowesoft.com

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Tom said:
Jamie, the name Microsoft is trademark and the American legal system is mad ... they sued someone called Mike Rowe for having mikerowesoft.com
I seem to remember that the legal action actually failed and they only managed to get him to hand over the domain by giving him thousands of pounds worth of Microsoft products.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I remember my teacher told me about a few of these, another was Lindows.

Anyway, as Yorkie says, real life stuff is indeed better, if there's a local foot crossing near you then you should be able to take some good photographs during the day.

Guinness

Established Member
Tom said:
There are new ideas there - you just haven't seen them yet!

What are are they then?

Also can you explain why you gave me a Strike. You still haven't told me what I did wrong and I couldn't find it in the rules either!! :happy3:

T

Tom

The ideas that are in the backroom are still being developed and will certainly change the game itself works - I'm not going to go into it that much at the moment, but it is all there and testing will start soon.

Anyway, can we now return to the subject of the thread, which is a bus management game, and not copyright/intellectual property discussions over a rail simulation game

Guinness

Established Member
Tom said:
The ideas that are in the backroom are still being developed and will certainly change the game itself works - I'm not going to go into it that much at the moment, but it is all there and testing will start soon.

Anyway, can we now return to the subject of the thread, which is a bus management game, and not copyright/intellectual property discussions over a rail simulation game
Oh excellent news!! :)

Maybe now you can tell me why I have received that lovely Strike!! ;)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Hang on, are you admitting that you copied I-NR and you have yet to implement the changes that you wanted to make to it? Even though it's a good three to four months down the line?

T

Tom

Jamie - I dare you to code a full PHP and MySQL backend system that will allow possibilities similar to the current NR site, as well as a system which will allow, on random, engineering works to be generated. You do that in a day, and I'll be darned, because it isn't possible unless you have a hand which can write at least 1000 characters a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.