• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus or Rail Work Experience around London

Status
Not open for further replies.

galwhv69

Hi all :)
I'm currently a Year 11 student living in Putney, London. My exams are finishing soon and my school has suggested that we do work experience (most likely next month but can be whenever until September). I was originally set to do Work Experience with London Tramlink (First Group Tram Operations) however that got cancelled due to Covid and them having many vulnerable staff working there. I was wondering whether companies are now willing to do work experience once the May or June restrictions ease? I've been reading a bit about GWR, however I don't know whether it would be better to contact them online or visit them in person at a station (probably Paddington)? What other rail or bus companies are known for doing work experience (anywhere in or near London)? (Not Abellio London & Go Ahead London as they have told me they don't offer a public scheme (most likely only for family of employees)) I've read that GTR do, however they don't have any listings on their careers page.
Thanks,
galwhv69

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Hi all :)
I'm currently a Year 11 student living in Putney, London. My exams are finishing soon and my school has suggested that we do work experience (most likely next month but can be whenever until September). I was originally set to do Work Experience with London Tramlink (First Group Tram Operations) however that got cancelled due to Covid and them having many vulnerable staff working there. I was wondering whether companies are now willing to do work experience once the May or June restrictions ease? I've been reading a bit about GWR, however I don't know whether it would be better to contact them online or visit them in person at a station (probably Paddington)? What other rail or bus companies are known for doing work experience (anywhere in or near London)? (Not Abellio London & Go Ahead London as they have told me they don't offer a public scheme (most likely only for family of employees)) I've read that GTR do, however they don't have any listings on their careers page.
Thanks,
galwhv69
Definitely worth contacting companies online or by phone, that’s probably what’s most likely to work. Probably not worth asking at stations as they’ll most likely tell you to ring the company or contact them online anyway. Any company you’d be interested in doing work experience with, contact them, quite a few companies won’t advertise work experience opportunities online but will be happy to offer them if you contact them.

I did my Y11 work experience with Northern in Newcastle and I had an excellent time there, although my school arranged that for me so I didn’t have to go through the process of organising it myself. Hopefully you manage to get work experience on the railway, good luck! :smile:

galwhv69

Definitely worth contacting companies online or by phone, that’s probably what’s most likely to work. Probably not worth asking at stations as they’ll most likely tell you to ring the company or contact them online anyway. Any company you’d be interested in doing work experience with, contact them, quite a few companies won’t advertise work experience opportunities online but will be happy to offer them if you contact them.

I did my Y11 work experience with Northern in Newcastle and I had an excellent time there, although my school arranged that for me so I didn’t have to go through the process of organising it myself. Hopefully you manage to get work experience on the railway, good luck! :smile:
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at past threads such as this and this one, where members mentioned going to the station in person as the manager would need to authorise it. I will try contacting GWR online this evening. Unfortunately, due to the end of term arrangements etc. at my school this year, I generally have to sort it out on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.