• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Pass Validity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S&CLER

English ones aren't valid in Wales anyway.
I was once told by a friend whose mother lives in Tarvin that residents in certain CH postcodes near the border (e.g. places like Farndon and Holt) receive passes valid in both countries. Maybe someone can confirm this?

RobShipway

Established Member
I was once told by a friend whose mother lives in Tarvin that residents in certain CH postcodes near the border (e.g. places like Farndon and Holt) receive passes valid in both countries. Maybe someone can confirm this?
If the local bus services cover both England and Wales, then that would be correct. Generally, you apply to the main council body for your area. So for me, if I am still living in Seaford in East Sussex in 2036, I would be applying to Lewes-Eastbourne Council, I believe that would allow me to travel free within Sussex. But certainly would be the areas covered by Brighton & Hove buses who is the local bus operator for me.

YorksLad12

Established Member

If the local bus services cover both England and Wales, then that would be correct. Generally, you apply to the main council body for your area. So for me, if I am still living in Seaford in East Sussex in 2036, I would be applying to Lewes-Eastbourne Council, I believe that would allow me to travel free within Sussex. But certainly would be the areas covered by Brighton & Hove buses who is the local bus operator for me.
That might be a local arrangement. The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme allows passholders to travel free on local bus services anywhere in England between 9.30am and 11pm, Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and Bank/Public Holidays. Local transport authorities can vary this, but all must allow the core times. In West Yorkshire we start at 9.30am and end at the end of the day's service; in South Yorkshire they start at 9am and end at 11am, but both are only for holders of passes issued by that authority (WY holders can't travel in SY before 9.30am, for example). Some areas include trams, some don't. It might have changed during the current kerfuffle, of course, I'm going back almost five years now.

It's not operator-specific though. If the bus services for those people on the border mostly run Wales-ward than in England there might be a local arrangement if that's where their local hospital is, say.

RobShipway

Established Member
That might be a local arrangement. The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme allows passholders to travel free on local bus services anywhere in England between 9.30am and 11pm, Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and Bank/Public Holidays. Local transport authorities can vary this, but all must allow the core times. In West Yorkshire we start at 9.30am and end at the end of the day's service; in South Yorkshire they start at 9am and end at 11am, but both are only for holders of passes issued by that authority (WY holders can't travel in SY before 9.30am, for example). Some areas include trams, some don't. It might have changed during the current kerfuffle, of course, I'm going back almost five years now.

It's not operator-specific though. If the bus services for those people on the border mostly run Wales-ward than in England there might be a local arrangement if that's where their local hospital is, say.
Okay, I was just going on the basis of what my parents who are in their mid 70's informed me about when they got their bus passes. I believe it was just for the area around Sussex, which is where both they and I live. They cannot use it for example to travel on a National Express coach service up to London after 9:30am, not that there is many coaches running at the moment.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Okay, I was just going on the basis of what my parents who are in their mid 70's informed me about when they got their bus passes. I believe it was just for the area around Sussex, which is where both they and I live. They cannot use it for example to travel on a National Express coach service up to London after 9:30am, not that there is many coaches running at the moment.
What I should have added is that, in some non-Metropolitan areas, it's quite possible that they only have the one bus company!

In the early days people (newpaper reporters with space to fill) used to try and work out how far away you could travel just on local buses. You probably could do Leeds to Chester... certainly Leeds-Huddersfield, Huddersfield-Manchester. But I'm taking things off-topic, sorry.

M60lad

Speaking of validity I know a ENCTS pass issued by TfGM is valid on all modes of transport in/around Greater Manchester so you can use your pass on Buses, Trains and the whole Metrolink system.

daodao

Established Member
Speaking of validity I know a ENCTS pass issued by TfGM is valid on all modes of transport in/around Greater Manchester so you can use your pass on Buses, Trains and the whole Metrolink system.
Incorrect. The free Greater Manchester transport pass for OAPs permits:
  • Travel for free on all buses within Greater Manchester between 9.30am and midnight, Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays.
  • Travel for free on all local buses within England between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays.

Dai Corner

Established Member
As I understand it, Welsh concessionary passes are valid for journeys over the border into England but not for journeys wholly within England and vice versa.

Welsh passes also entitle the holder to free travel on certain branch lines at certain times of the year.

If you have a Concessionary Travel Pass from a Welsh Local Authority, you can travel free on many of our trains.​

You can travel between:​

You’ll need to get a free ticket from the ticket office before you travel. If there is no ticket office or if it’s closed, you can get one from the Conductor on the train.

You’ll also get 1/3 off tickets to travel on the Cardiff and Valley network after 0930 Monday - Friday and any time at weekends and bank holidays.

Last edited:

English bus passes are valid on Sheffield trams, but not Nottingham ones (unless you live in Nottingham, or perhaps Nottinghamshire).

It's a shame they can't make passes a UK wide thing, but then they would have to address the fact that most of us will not be entitled to a pass until we are 67, but a minority can get theirs at 60. It would be a bit rough to be paying full fare on you local bus at 66 while someone from a different part of the UK travels free on the same bus at 60. But then I guess that already applies on cross boundary routes on the borders.

RHolmes

It’s £10 a year to ‘upgrade’ to use it on trams and trains after 9.30 M-F

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Only 2 hours a day in South Yorkshire? That's poor.

Any ENTCS pass holder can board in North Yorkshire from 0900. I used to regularly get a bus at 0915 in West Yorkshire that was half full of people on ENTCS passes who had boarded in North Yorkshire whilst I was paying a premium for a day ticket because it was still peak (before 0930).

L401CJF

Established Member
Merseytravel issue a 60+ local pass valid on buses and trains (possibly ferry too?) within Merseyside only plus Merseyrail across the boundary to Chester, Ellesmere Port and Ormskirk. I believe its 0930-end of service and anytime weekends/Bank Holidays.

The Merseytravel Blue pass has the same validity times and allows the same modes within Merseyside then the national basic times everywhere else.

Merseytravel Disabled (orange) passes have no time restrictions within Merseyside however after 0930 outside the boundary.

Interestingly Cheshire West have 2 orange cards which are identical to look at (or were), one being the usual disabled pass not valid until after 0930, and also a visually impaired pass (which used to only be distinguishable by the wallet it came in) however was supposed to be updated to have a symbol on the card itself. No idea if it ever was or not. This one is valid before 0930 within Cheshire only.

Edit: Also to note as a driver in Merseyside , the Arriva machines allow concession passes from 09:28. When I worked at Stagecoach Wirral their machines accepted it from 09:27. When I did a brief spell at Stagecoach Wigan the machines didn't accept them until 09:30 exactly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Merseytravel issue a 60+ local pass valid on buses and trains (possibly ferry too?) within Merseyside only plus Merseyrail across the boundary to Chester, Ellesmere Port and Ormskirk. I believe its 0930-end of service and anytime weekends/Bank Holidays.

The Merseytravel Blue pass has the same validity times and allows the same modes within Merseyside then the national basic times everywhere else.

Merseytravel Disabled (orange) passes have no time restrictions within Merseyside however after 0930 outside the boundary.

Interestingly Cheshire West have 2 orange cards which are identical to look at (or were), one being the usual disabled pass not valid until after 0930, and also a visually impaired pass (which used to only be distinguishable by the wallet it came in) however was supposed to be updated to have a symbol on the card itself. No idea if it ever was or not. This one is valid before 0930 within Cheshire only.

Edit: Also to note as a driver in Merseyside , the Arriva machines allow concession passes from 09:28. When I worked at Stagecoach Wirral their machines accepted it from 09:27. When I did a brief spell at Stagecoach Wigan the machines didn't accept them until 09:30 exactly.

Slightly before makes sense, as the restriction is presumably on an 0930 timetabled departure, and the bus will very likely arrive at the stop just before 0930 unless it's going to depart late.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I really don't think that we need another discussion about the validity of concessionary travel passes, especially when we have had many threads on the subject before.

Details of the various national schemes can be found on the relevant government websites, and local anomalies can be researched on the website of the local authority which issues your pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.