• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Programmes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
BBC First Sight

TVS/ITV Forces South: 1987

How to drive a semi automatic

Commercial break: NO idea who made this:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent footage, I enjoyed watching them. :)

plcd1

thank you for sharing all those videos and clips. Most enjoyable to watch them and be transported back 30 years. A shame that is so little news coverage of buses these days despite the fact that they are in crisis in many places with cuts leading to much greater hardship than what we saw in the late 80s and in to the 90s.

There are quite a lot of bus / transport news clips on the Thames News youtube channel. Plenty about London bus restructuring and all the strikes as LT closed garages like Norbiton. Obviously there is a strong London emphasis to these reports.

overthewater

Established Member
What also helped back then was the local ITV station now well its Tonight and that it.

alex397

Established Member
Thanks for posting these. I was particularly interested in the top Stagecoach one, as a lot of it was filmed around East Kent. Interesting to see the coverage on the Thanet Bus company - photos of this company are rare.
Thankfully Stagecoach are a more professional company these days!!

Its rare to see any modern-day videos of bus operations aimed at non-enthusiasts, especially with so much detail. News seems far too dumbed down now.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
There must be other out there. It strange in the 90s it was stagecoach that got all the bad press, during 00's it was Arriva, while now its FIRST. Has anyone else seen any other bus programmes? The two I would like to see are Frontline scotland from 1997 and one from BBC south West from 1999. What I could never understand was why did there go after Stagecoach when at the same time First group held a massive monopoly in the Central belt.

Here some others,

Lrd

Established Member
These all look great, I look forward to sitting down and having mini marathon at some point 8-)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If you look around on company websites etc you can find quite a number of videos about services and bus types but there's sadly very few about the bus industry or companies.

One i found quite an interesting watch was the launch video for the "New-Generation " Enviro400.

6Gman

Established Member
S4C (the Welsh Channel 4) has a series starting next Wednesday (15th) at - I think - 8.25pm "Ar y bysus" ("On the Buses") about three operators in West Wales - Midway Motors, Richards Bros and a third the name of which I didn't catch.

Just in case any of you don't understand Welsh ( :D ) there are subtitles available.

(S4C can be viewed outside Wales on Channel 134 - Sky; not sure of the Channel on other platforms.)

Andyh82

Established Member

........is the rest of this programme around somewhere ?

I take it you didn't get people turning up at the last moment in Sheffield at that time, as there is no way they'd all set off bang on time otherwise.

I bet the number of buses leaving Sheffield Interchange at 11pm these days could probably be counted on two thumbs.

overthewater

Established Member
If you have facebook you should be able to see this clip, which is a promo for that World in Action programme about stagecoach

The style is in a Black and white Cowboy westerns:

Dai Corner

Established Member
S4C (the Welsh Channel 4) has a series starting next Wednesday (15th) at - I think - 8.25pm "Ar y bysus" ("On the Buses") about three operators in West Wales - Midway Motors, Richards Bros and a third the name of which I didn't catch.

Just in case any of you don't understand Welsh ( :D ) there are subtitles available.

(S4C can be viewed outside Wales on Channel 134 - Sky; not sure of the Channel on other platforms.)

Thanks for the heads-up.

http://www.s4c.cymru/en/access-services/page/5865/how-to-get-s4c/

Virgin TV – 166

Freesat - 120

plcd1

Fantastic to see that T&W PTE related That's Life clip. I have vague memories of seeing this at the time. There were, of course, endless examples of services interworking in Tyne and Wear in a similar fashion to the example in the clip and many, but not all, allowed travel across termini and had through fares. The old 33/36 in Newcastle was a classic and the old 37/38 used to work across the Benton terminal but didn't have through fares.

alex397

Established Member

Sadly there are still drivers who are like this, including new ones (not just the 'old school' ones). Jobsworths are in any industry though.
But the vast majority of drivers have good customer service skills and use common sense. Training is more customer focused now (it was at a bus company I worked at).

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Sadly there are still drivers who are like this, including new ones (not just the 'old school' ones). Jobsworths are in any industry though.
But the vast majority of drivers have good customer service skills and use common sense. Training is more customer focused now (it was at a bus company I worked at).

There can be reason behind it though - the bus may not be insured to carry passengers for that short 'out of service' stretch and should any injury befall a passenger then the individual driver would be liable. A jobsworth reaction from staff can often be the result of earlier passenger complaints or claims after bending the rules to help out passengers. The answer is of course as eventually happened in getting the bus company to make it an official service.

SEClass375

Isn't 'On The Buses' shown on ITV3 in the afternoon. Oops, sorry wrong type of bus programme.

alex397

Established Member
There can be reason behind it though - the bus may not be insured to carry passengers for that short 'out of service' stretch and should any injury befall a passenger then the individual driver would be liable. A jobsworth reaction from staff can often be the result of earlier passenger complaints or claims after bending the rules to help out passengers. The answer is of course as eventually happened in getting the bus company to make it an official service.

I can certainly understand that, drivers shouldn't put themselves at risk if they feel like that. But drivers should be able to explain this to passengers in the politest way possible, even if it is ridiculous.

Last year I went on a open-top bus route (a public registered bus service, which anyone could use). Most passengers were tourists who would use that route for a round-trip. When it reached the terminus, in the middle of no where, it had to go 'round the block' to be the right way around for the return journey. Most passengers (including myself actually) assumed we could just remain on the bus for the return trip. However, at the terminus, we were sternly ordered off the bus, and told to wait on the opposite side of the road - at a stop with no shelter, in the wind and rain.

It was agony watching a partially disabled person struggle to get themselves off the top deck, cross the road, wait in horrible weather, only to have to get back on again 5 minutes later (and remain downstairs because they didn't want to do it all over again) just because of this bizarre rule. This wouldn't have been so much of an issue if the driver explained why he had to do it - he could have just said he couldn't legally keep them on and could be disciplined etc etc. Most people would be understanding. Instead, most of the passengers had a bit of a grumble, because they quite rightly couldn't see the point of it all.

I can understand the legal difficulties in running 'round the block' out of service on an unregistered route, but it would surely be easy enough for management to register this section, or just allow people to stay on. In fact, towards the end of the season, most drivers just allowed passengers to stay on 'round the block', which would seem to be the sensible thing to do if you want to encourage return custom on a tourist route.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I can certainly understand that, drivers shouldn't put themselves at risk if they feel like that. But drivers should be able to explain this to passengers in the politest way possible, even if it is ridiculous.

Last year I went on a open-top bus route (a public registered bus service, which anyone could use). Most passengers were tourists who would use that route for a round-trip. When it reached the terminus, in the middle of no where, it had to go 'round the block' to be the right way around for the return journey. Most passengers (including myself actually) assumed we could just remain on the bus for the return trip. However, at the terminus, we were sternly ordered off the bus, and told to wait on the opposite side of the road - at a stop with no shelter, in the wind and rain.

It was agony watching a partially disabled person struggle to get themselves off the top deck, cross the road, wait in horrible weather, only to have to get back on again 5 minutes later (and remain downstairs because they didn't want to do it all over again) just because of this bizarre rule. This wouldn't have been so much of an issue if the driver explained why he had to do it - he could have just said he couldn't legally keep them on and could be disciplined etc etc. Most people would be understanding. Instead, most of the passengers had a bit of a grumble, because they quite rightly couldn't see the point of it all.

I can understand the legal difficulties in running 'round the block' out of service on an unregistered route, but it would surely be easy enough for management to register this section, or just allow people to stay on. In fact, towards the end of the season, most drivers just allowed passengers to stay on 'round the block', which would seem to be the sensible thing to do if you want to encourage return custom on a tourist route.

If the bus was at or near capacity and/or there were lots waiting at the return stop I could see that it would be fair to make arriving passengers get off and wait their turn to go back.

alex397

Established Member
If the bus was at or near capacity and/or there were lots waiting at the return stop I could see that it would be fair to make arriving passengers get off and wait their turn to go back.

There were about 6 other people on board, and no one waiting for the return journey.

philthetube

Established Member

In both this and the that's life clip the drivers should be fully aware of what is expected of them, it is strange that with buses the driver is expected to work this out for him/herself whereas on the railway there would be no question of not following set p;procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.