Bus replacement train service

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by nuneatonmark, 21 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuneatonmark

nuneatonmark Member

So we're all used to buses replacing trains but does anyone know of any examples recently when trains replaced buses temporarily?

2. EM2

EM2 Established Member

I understand that Workington North was built so that people could travel between both halves of Workington, the rail bridge being the only way of crossing the River Derwent after flooding damaged the road bridges.

3. TheNewNo2

TheNewNo2 Member

True, but that was more a Car replacement rail service.

4. arfortune

arfortune Member

Prreciate its not the national network, but a few years back the Ffestiniog ran a bus replacement rail service due to flooding on the road. Operated for a few days between Porthmadog and Pont Croesor iirc.

5. tsr

tsr Established Member

Southern occasionally accept Brighton & Hove bus tickets due to road incidents but I can't think of any additional services ever having been put on.

I have heard about the odd planned bus replacement being cancelled and replaced by a reinstated train.

6. Quakkerillo

Quakkerillo Member

I think I read on here recently (last week or the one before that) that Northern were accepting bus tickets between Leeds and Bradford Interchange because of some incident on the road (was it gas-related) causing major gridlock.

7. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

How about this Sunday morning between Shenfield and Ilford. Trains replace The regular early morning Sunday buses this Sunday?

8. Tom B

Tom B Established Member

On occasions of major disruption in central London, TfL will announce that bus ticket holders can use the Tube. Of course, nobody is actually able to hold a bus "ticket" anymore, they will touch in and touch out on the tube and thus incur a tube fare which, perhaps, a handful of people will reclaim.

9. SaveECRewards

SaveECRewards Member

I assume there's still bus only passes though?

10. londiscape

londiscape Member

Yep, think there still are bus passes. Couple of months ago saw a bloke get a PF for trying to use a bus pass on the DLR.

11. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

I've seen engineering work being cancelled at short notice, technically trains replacing buses......

12. M28361M

M28361M Member

There was a half marathon in Liverpool one Sunday last year which blocked the road used by the 82, one of the major bus routes into the city centre.

The buses were diverted to terminate at Brunswick station, with bus tickets accepted on Merseyrail between there and Liverpool Central. I think Merseyrail even ran some extra trains to handle the additional passengers.

13. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The irony is that a bus pass is valid on Croydon tramlink rail services, which are of course light rail.

The DLR is also light rail, but is not valid on bus passes.

I once had someone ask "is this a train or a tram?" while on the DLR. I paused, as I was unsure who he was asking. I came to the conclusion he was asking anyone who'd listen, so I simply said "it's a train", which seemed to satisfy him.

I now wonder if he was asking for ticketing purposes :lol:

14. Michael.Y

Michael.Y Established Member

Surely the OP's question relates perfectly to Pacers?

<D

15. snowball

snowball Established Member

When the rail element of the rebuilt estuary bridge Pont Briwet in west Wales opened last autumn after months of closure, according to some reports there was confusion about the opening date, and no replacement buses had been ordered for the last couple of days of closure, so some planned driver refamiliarisation runs were converted to public services.

16. 181

181 Member

I seem to remember reading that on the Isle of Man bus strikes or road closures have occasionally resulted in steam-hauled bus replacement train services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.