• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Road Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

I have taken up road miles recently diverting from rail miles, a much MUCH cheaper way to rack it up especially when all I need is a £7 South West ticket or £7.50 Wiltshire Day Rover (which would take me as far as Oxford if I wanted to!)

Am I probably the only one in this planet who is taking this up? I have actually set up another RailMiles account, james33417 (33417 being the best E400 Trident I've been on so far) and here is the link:

http://james33417.railmiles.org/

So far, over 1,000 miles from April to July, and I hope to have another First Day South West trip (or maybe a Wilts Day Ranger, can't decide yet!) on Friday, though I may take up a Stagecoach pass and head to Oxford, but I don't know if I can get one that will cover me to Oxford and beyond.

Oh, and if you are wondering, the mileage is worked out from Google Maps, and there is maybe .1 of a mile missing here and there, so it's a rough estimate (mainly as some routes don't pass through one way systems that the bus uses, so I have to split the route search in half and add up the miles).

Anyone else wish to join in? Maybe we could have another mileage league!

Cheers,

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
A friend of mine logs the miles he travels by bus, and I believe also on what vehicles. I've never thought to do it myself, but would hate to think how many miles I do cover. I did once log all my travels in my local area, but that was to work out how much my MegaRider was saving me - and it did turn out to be worthwhile.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not looked at your link yet, but here's what I've got on my commuting/leisure bus mileage since 23rd March 2011:

YJ05 WCW - 3,132.2
YE52 FHA - 1,474.3
Y876 PWT - 768.7
Y877 PWT - 1,507.7
YJ59 GFZ - 153.2
YJ58 CFG - 304.1
VA51 SAR 678.1
W408 UCJ - 317.9
VX12 FBO - 1,478.2
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite a funky lot on there for your bus mileages, although I see some moves have apparently taken several weeks to do! ;)

starrymarkb

Established Member
All I have is a couple of miles on the P&R MAN E300s, Citaros around Bristol Airport & Car Parks, 2 Cobus 3000s to and from planes and a return trip on the Glasgow Flyer.

I tend to walk or bike locally and drive the longer distances that for the most part haven't been doable by Public transport

Hello all,

I have taken up road miles recently diverting from rail miles, a much MUCH cheaper way to rack it up especially when all I need is a £7 South West ticket or £7.50 Wiltshire Day Rover (which would take me as far as Oxford if I wanted to!)

Am I probably the only one in this planet who is taking this up? I have actually set up another RailMiles account, james33417 (33417 being the best E400 Trident I've been on so far) and here is the link:

http://james33417.railmiles.org/

So far, over 1,000 miles from April to July, and I hope to have another First Day South West trip (or maybe a Wilts Day Ranger, can't decide yet!) on Friday, though I may take up a Stagecoach pass and head to Oxford, but I don't know if I can get one that will cover me to Oxford and beyond.

Oh, and if you are wondering, the mileage is worked out from Google Maps, and there is maybe .1 of a mile missing here and there, so it's a rough estimate (mainly as some routes don't pass through one way systems that the bus uses, so I have to split the route search in half and add up the miles).

Anyone else wish to join in? Maybe we could have another mileage league!

Cheers,

James.

Using wheelchair friendly bus services, I have done Leeds to Newcastle (via Whitby and Middlesbrough). Also (in London) Euston to Barnet; Barnet to South Norwood (via Streatham). South Norwood back to Euston (via Brixton); Euston to Canning Town; Canning Town to Shepherd's Bush (via Aldgate and Oxford Street); Shepherds Bush back to Euston via Camden. At Easter, did a run from Ayr to Stranraer. Now there's a bus journey and a half. Not a bus enthusiast as such; but all in the name of research, to see if it's feasible in a wheelchair? No idea of the mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.