• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus roof ripped off

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4324300.stm

_40890332_buscrash203.jpg
:shock:

Lucky there were only minor injuries.

As usual, it's only a minor story hardly worthy of mention, as it was on the roads not rails.

Aren't there strict controls about what routes buses (and, indeed road vehicles in general) can use? Are they not properly gauged/cleared for the routes? :?

No wonder the Government wants to replace trains with buses - they're cheaper, and why are they cheaper? because they're much less safe and much more likely not to follow proper procedures. it's not a level playing field.

Will there be an investigation? Nope. If 4 people had died, as in Hatfield, would there be a £8m investigation then? Nope. Is this a major story? Nope. Does the HSE care? Nope.

:roll: :x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Couldn't have said it better myself, although I may have used a parody to do it.

The playing field is so unlevel you could stand at one end of it, drop a ball down from there and it would never touch the playing field (I'm basically saying that there is essentially one set of rules for roads, one for rail, with the 'playing field' being dead vertical (hence it not touching it if you drop it from one end).

I hope someone can understand what I'm saying.

Guinness

Established Member
Looks like a Streamlined Eclipse Gemini to me ;)

All Buses and Coaches are required to have a MAX HEIGHT sticker in the Cab but there aren't any proper restrictions regarding Low Bridges and Double Deckers.

I suspect that bus either got diverted or was used on a non double decker route.

tramboy

I can remember...back in the days of yore, when the Robin Hood Line was first opened from Nottingham-Newstead, an NCT decker ripped it's roof off going under the now emergency exit to Hucknall station (back then the entrance was off Station Road, now it's off Baths Lane). It was full of school children making their way to Newstead abbey. Fortunately, only two were injured.

The bridge never had a warning sign...but the driver always had the height of the bus to look at in the cab...is it no wonder i never felt safe on NCT school buses!

Cheers

Dave

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Buses and coaches are required to have Max Height/Width/Length stickers in the cab. Roads with length/width/height restrictions are clearly signposted as to what the maximum vehicle dimensions may be. It is then upto the driver to ensure that his/her vehicle is within the limit. There is also responsibility with somebody else at the bus company in charge of allocating vehicles to routes to ensure that only appropriately sized vehicles are allocated to each route to reduce the need for drivers to double check height etc every time they approach a bridge. If a bus then manages to hit a bridge or whatever, I should imagine both the bus driver and allocater are in deep ****.

As for "Will there be an investigation?", there probably will be an investigation of some sort. It may not be as high profile and expensive as a railway enquiry, but I am pretty sure there WILL be an inquiry of some sort. A couple of years ago a bus at a bus station shot forward, onto the pedestrian area, crashing through a waiting shelter and critically injuring an elderly lady, who died in hospital a few days later. An investigation followed. As for action being taken against bus companies, VOSA check the road worthiness of bus companies vehicles, and if a large number are found to be of unsatisfactory standard, VOSA can and will take action, such as reducing (often by a huge number) the amount of vehicles that the operator is licenced to operate.

Jim

Established Member
On Wessex's Rail Replacment's There are only 2 route you can go & Deckers are clear for both (With a lot of tree bashing :lol: )

David

Established Member
Another bus minus a roof? Then the road lobby go on about how unsafe the railways are...

By saying that, they are really extracting the urine....

The need to re-train all their drivers first.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chaz said:
I suspect that bus either got diverted or was used on a non double decker route.

It says in the report that it was a rail replacement bus. Surely the diversionary route should have been checked first? :?

Bighat

yorkie said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4324300.stm

_40890332_buscrash203.jpg
:shock:

Lucky there were only minor injuries.

As usual, it's only a minor story hardly worthy of mention, as it was on the roads not rails.

Aren't there strict controls about what routes buses (and, indeed road vehicles in general) can use? Are they not properly gauged/cleared for the routes? :?

No wonder the Government wants to replace trains with buses - they're cheaper, and why are they cheaper? because they're much less safe and much more likely not to follow proper procedures. it's not a level playing field.

Will there be an investigation? Nope. If 4 people had died, as in Hatfield, would there be a £8m investigation then? Nope. Is this a major story? Nope. Does the HSE care? Nope.

:roll: :x

Oh well....another candidate for Arriva's London Sightseeing fleet. :? :?

Jordy

Established Member
Royalscot said:
Couple more bus mishaps:

Passengers hurt as bus hits house

Five people were injured when a bus crashed into a terraced house on Sunday morning, police have said.

The Metrobus was driving through Crawley in West Sussex when it veered off the road.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4390306.stm

Road tunnel closed after bus fire

Part of a road tunnel has been shut after fire ripped through a bus.

The double-decker was in the Limehouse Link tunnel, east London, when it broke down and a fire started in the engine.

The driver, who was heading towards Upton Park bus depot after the night shift, escaped before flames engulfed and destroyed the bus.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4389964.stm

They both look like very bad accidents, there seems to be alot of Buses crashing into buildings recently.

Jordy

OTS

Chaz said:
Article said it was on a rail-rep! :roll:
Wonder what maps SWT gave the drivers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.