• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Route Confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Hi, the Simplibus 6 bus route in Grimsby is causing alot of confusion.
Back in February the route temporarily dropped the Asda & Freeman Street extension that most daytime services used, as roadworks in the western part of the town centre caused too much delay.

Last week however the 6 began running the full route again, but today the 6 isn't running the route again alledgedly as Asda demanded 56 days notice. This has resulted in people waiting eternally for the bus at Asda as no info about the 6 being re-instated or 're-withdrawn' has been made available.

Anyway, bus routes aren't always followed correctly, I was on the 4 last week which went via Lock Hill roundabout way off the route for example.
So what examples of bus route confusion have others seen?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
That's what I thought, but the comment came from a bus driver as he explained it to a woman kicked off the 6 onto the 3.

pemma

Veteran Member
VOSA require 56 days notice to make bus service changes unless they meet the criteria for a short term change so I imagine there's been crossed wires and they needed to give 56 days notice to serve ASDA again. I can't see a supermarket not wanting a bus bringing customers!

PeterC

Established Member
Hence Asda's ability to impose conditions.

I would guess that somebody at Asda H/O is treating this as a new request and the "56 days" is for their own engineers to report that there are no safety issues and for their insurers to OK things.

Antman

Established Member
Hence Asda's ability to impose conditions.

I would guess that somebody at Asda H/O is treating this as a new request and the "56 days" is for their own engineers to report that there are no safety issues and for their insurers to OK things.

I very much doubt whether Asda are imposing any conditions. I don't know the store in question but I know another Asda store in Chatham and they are more than happy to have buses coming in full of customers.

Marc

I very much doubt whether Asda are imposing any conditions. I don't know the store in question but I know another Asda store in Chatham and they are more than happy to have buses coming in full of customers.

attititudes of store manangers vary widely. one asda store in bristol has loads of bus services calling, another will only allow their own shopppers buses in to the car park.

ooo

attititudes of store manangers vary widely. one asda store in bristol has loads of bus services calling, another will only allow their own shopppers buses in to the car park.
Is that the Longwell Green store that only lets their buses in? I'm also guess that it is the Cribbs Asda that lets buses in.

Boothby97

Established Member
The 6 in Grimsby is still running into Asda, just been past said store and watched a service 6 pull in!

Thanks, Sam

swifty

Established Member
Is that the Longwell Green store that only lets their buses in? I'm also guess that it is the Cribbs Asda that lets buses in.

To be honest they don't need to let service buses into the car park when the stops are on the road at the bottom of the car park anyway!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Does anyone remember when buses often used to terminate at pubs? Not sure they used to bring loads of customers but in any case as car ownership grew from the 1960s onwards they gradually declined as pubs preferred to use the space for cars/ delivery vehicles etc and there must be very few that survive today. The attitude of supermarkets to buses seems to vary greatly, but I'm sure the layout of the car park and its entrances/exits is a factor. For instance the Sainsbury opposite Streatham Common used to have a local bus service which used it as a terminus, but it got chucked out, I would think because its car park is quite small and the only entrance/exit is a bit tortuous.

vicbury

Do buses actually leave the public highway when serving Asda Cribbs Causeway?

ooo

Do buses actually leave the public highway when serving Asda Cribbs Causeway?
From a brief look at Google Street View it isn't too clear although the road has ASDA speed limit signs etc if that has any significance.

vicbury

From a brief look at Google Street View it isn't too clear although the road has ASDA speed limit signs etc if that has any significance.

Definitely not public highway - the boundary will be where the road surface and street light type change by the roundabout. You also can't have 10 mph speed limits on a highway.

However maybe the bus loop isn't owned by Asda and is in the ownership of the landlord / management company given that it also serves McDonald's etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.