Bus Service Numbers

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by EbbwJunction1, 3 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Very annoying - sometimes no information is better than the wrong information.

2. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

This wasn't meant to be policy, but Western National made a lot of use of what were called "shunting blinds" when vehicles were moved around between garages. They had some proper blinds in stock for each garage, all vehicles could show destination and double deckers had another for intermediate points as well, while the numbers were shown with each digit separately. But when buses were transferred into Taunton garage, they either didn't have any left, or they didn't fit, so there were standardisd blinds at every garage that just showed "Service Number", "Town Service", "Private", and "Western National". So you might get "Western National" "Service Number" "204" turning up. It mainly seemed to afflict the town service double deckers rather than the country routes. The silly thing was, with only a few town routes (about six), nobody really knew numbers like 204 or 276, just destinations.

When a bus was to be moved on elsewhere the garage took out their own blinds and substituted shunting blinds. When you received one it was pretty easy just to leave them as they were. Crews like them too because you didn't have to wind them round at each end.

3. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

There was also R, presumably for rural. There was an evening Harrogate-Otley service oddly numbered R4A, never did find out why 'A; nor where R1-R3 were.

4. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

I don't remember the A in that number when I used to catch it around 16 years ago. It was fairly short lived. It replaced evening journeys on the 653. I've no idea why it had an R, but there were no other R services in Harrogate or the Otley area and I don't remember any others in West Yorkshire. I did wonder if NYCC subsidised other R services somewhere. I should have an old timetable for it somewhere.

South Emsall did briefly have S local routes - I don't think any of these still survive - I don't know the area well so I'm not sure if the routes have been incorporated into longer distance routes or have disappeared.

Nowadays, most of the prefixed routes have been replaced by routes in the 9xx series - apart form those in Hebden Bridge which went from Hx routes to individual letters on routes to 59x route numbering.

Honley and Todmorden retained their Hx and Tx numbering. Elland still has E routes but they're all completely different.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2017
  5. Statto

Statto Established Member

4xx is allocated to some Wakefeild/Castleford/Pontefract area services
    7xx is also allocated to Ilkley & Otley services as well as already mentioned Keighley services, until most were renumbered into the K series last year.

6. Deerfold

What Ilkley and Otley services start with a 7?

7. Statto

There used to be, i remember the 762 Ilkley-Keighley, 733 Otley-Leeds think there was a 734 Ilkley-Leeds, of course the X84 was 784

8. Deerfold

I mentioned there were a few 7xx that were not Keighley.
    The 762 is now the 62 and is a Keighley route, whilst the 733 and 734 are no more.

I don't think there are any 7xx routes remaining in Otley and Ilkley, though the 747 comes close.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2017
  9. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

My first summer (of three) working in Minehead in 1966: a solitary rear entrance single decker remained, which worked solely on Town Service 289(?) and, as you say, bore that blind. The only crew I ever saw working it seemed to have a combined age of about 150, but I was looking through the eyes of an eighteen year old! Passengers seemed few and far between, and I believe by 1968 the route had disappeared, if memory serves.

10. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

It was renumbered 904 and as such NYCC withdrew their contribution to the Metro contract in 2006. It was originally worked by Harrogate & District then Aztecbird and then Pegasus; the latter companies both ceasing operation.

11. Andyh82

Andyh82 Member

At the time of numbering in the 70s/80s, 7xx would all have had in common, being run by WYRCC. It seems this was the case, except for those WYRCC services that ran into Bradford itself which used the 6xx numbering.

12. Deerfold

Sounds broadly right, but there were the similar 655/755 routes each hourly Leeds-Guiseley-Bradford services which both meet bother criteria. Now the somewhat shorter 97.

13. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

There's one 7xx service that terminates in Otley and that is the 781. The Elland E services are probably hanging on for a fair while yet, although I wouldn't be too surpised if they ended up filling in bits of the 50x range. I did have a funny feeling that one day a 547 would arrive to fill in for the missing 546 and 548, it turned out that the then 380 was changing operating centre from Huddersfield to Halifax and out comes the 547.

There's no S services left in South Elmsall so no idea when they were withdrawn, but they use to be two that ran from Meadowhall around a decade ago - the S1 and S2 Brightside Link.

As with the 90x range. You've got the 900 which runs from Huddersfield to Hebden Bridge. Then there's the 901 which was added later and rus via Stainland, the 902 is only a recent addition, 903 runs around Silsden, there's no 904 or 905 (maybe one day), the 906 is the Widdop / Hardcastle Crags bus, the 907 and 908 were used for the Colne Valley Taxibus and rounding off with the long withdrawn 909 which ran from Rishworth to Brighouse.

14. Deerfold

Ah yes! Forgot that one a day route - surprised that still survives (apart from on Otley market days when it can get quite busy).

Which bits? The only 50x buses around there are the 501 and 503 Halfax to Huddersfield. Or do you mean renumbering them? It'd be tricky as the free numbers are 502, 504-6, 509.
    Of the current E routes, only the E3 bears any resemblance to any 1980s E routes.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

These are a more recent introduction - The 901 was originally a once a day short run on the 900x until the service increased in frequency but they wanted to speed most of the journeys up a bit. The 902 to/from Rishworth has run for a long time, but was a once a day variation of the 900 until it was renumbered last time the tender changed hands.

I don't remember a 909 from Rishworth, though the current E7 Barkisland to Brighouse used to extend to Ripponden via Krumlin.

Many of the lower numbered 9xx routes were started with Rural challenge grants.

The higher 9xx routes largely replaced prefixed routes - though there doesn't seem to be any pattern, with some areas retaining them and others being renumbered differently.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2017
  15. Statto

TWPTE area developed the system from the old Corporations, that they became
    1-49 Newcastle services
    50-59 & 90-96 Gateshead services
    60-89 TWPTE Newcastle to Northumberland services
    97-100 Night services
    100-199 Sunderland services
    200-299 Sunderland to County Durham services
    300-399 North Tyneside services
    400-499 Northumberland services mainly to Blyth-Morpeth-Ashington
    500-599 South Shields services, also Newcastle-Berwick/Bamburgh or Galashiels
    600-699 Tyne Valley services
    700-799 County Durham services
    800-899 services operated by independents
    900-999 Industrial services

Busways the successor to TWPTE got rid of the system & reintroduced low number system.

16. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

In reply with the Elland E services, I mean with renumbering them. e.g. The E3 could become the 504 (as the 503 is already taken), E5 could become the 505 and the E7 & E8 could be merged to become the 506. The E1, E2, E4, E6 and the E9 have all since been withdrawn so it would make soem sense into renumbering the E services into the 50x range.

The 909 use to be operated by Ryburn Taxibus (using one of two custom built Renault Master minibuses in MetroConnect livery) until the service was scrapped around eleven or twelve years back, as it ran along Cromwell Bottom to Brighouse. I think when it was introduced it use to serve Rishworth and a pub heading out towards the M62 junction 22 before being cut back to Ripponden. I'll have to dig out an old timeatable that I've got to see if it did serve Rishworth or if it was a request / bookable bit of the route.

17. bradford758

bradford758 Member

There IS currently a 504 Halifax to Denholme (variation of the 502) see other thread, possible return of a route

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

18. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

I forgot about the Denholme 504.

19. bradford758

bradford758 Member

others include
    701-799 were used for the old WYRCC routes (kept on when Yorkshire Rider took over some routes)
    800-899 some long-distance routes and local minibus routes
    900 some rural routes
    A,B,C,L prefix for school routes
    P,S yellow buses
    N night buses
    T Todmorden network
    W Wharfedale network (minibus)
    X limited stop

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

20. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

A lot of NBC areas got three figure bus routes in the late 1970s / early 1980s replacing single digit or two digit route numbers with the first digit representing a local area. Nowadays we are left with a mixture of those three digit numbers and simpler shorter numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.