Bus Service Numbers

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by EbbwJunction1, 3 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philthetube

philthetube Member

On Burnley and Pendle Colne depot used to run what was known as the 5 hour cycle, the numbers were as follows.
    from pickup

X28 Burnley limited stop
    Sycamore ave service
    Worsthorne service Cant remember numbers for these 2 but were nowhere near X28
    X28 Earby limited stop
    Barnoldswick, again cant remember numbers.
    294 Colne
    15 Colne town service
    294 Barnoldswick
    Earby
    X28 Burnley limited stop

9 Changes in 5 hours, what fun, especially if you got a coach in the rain where the destination and numbers had to be changed from outside.

2. Statto

Statto Established Member

Just had a look at the current 202 timetable, that's now a commercial service, think has been for a couple of years, not sure what the current Merseytravel fare is can't find it on there site.

Arriva renumbered the services 2000-2001, after they brought MTL, Arriva Wirral routes were renumbered in the 4xx series, although the 401 became the 2 when that became a QBP with Stagecoach, Arriva withdrew the 2 last September, Stagecoach still operate the 2. Stagecoach don't really compete with Arriva on Merseyside as most routes that were operated by Stagecoach & Arriva have become QBPs.

3. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

Think we cannot be far from having displays that automatically update themselves based on GPS positioning; would usefully overcome destinations that still display via points when they have been passed as well as changing the destination when appropriate, something that often seems to get overlooked by drivers when busy taking fares and running late.

4. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

TfL buses already do after the first run (though it can be overuled by the driver or control) - though of course most of these are just running with 2 destinations on 1 route.

5. edwin_m

edwin_m Established Member

Metrolink trams update their displays en route so they only show one "via" point. For example I think "Rochdale via Market Street" becomes "Rochdale via Oldham" somewhere in the centre of Manchester. Not sure but I think this is automatic.

6. Gareth

Gareth Member

Much of the classic numbering system is largely the same though. 10, 12, 13 etc. We used to have a 75 in West Derby but Arriva changed this to 15 to fit with the rest of the Green Lane depot East Liverpool operations. The Fareway & Liverbus numbering disappeared more or less entirely though.

Don't get the Wirral number change. Seem unnecessarily high numbers.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2017
  7. Andyh82

Andyh82 Member

I'm sure we've already been there and presumably it somehow didn't work?

I think I recall Transdev doing that when they launched the "Spot On" B7RLEs at Lancashire United, or maybe when the similar Mainline buses were new?

8. Cambus731

Cambus731 Member

Colne has or had a town service? I didn't think Colne was big enough.

9. bradford758

bradford758 Member

The old WYRCC did use the letter suffices, and on many routes, but these were usually limited to A, B or M (= main road route ?) as those were the only letters available on most "desti's" ? For example, the local Keighley- Morton- Bingley service had four variations in the route into and out of (East) Morton.
    Some routes didn't have a unique number, but used a variation of a main road route, eg Leeds- Kirkstall- Farsley used 31A.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

10. extendedpaul

extendedpaul Member

There are "town services" in places a lot smaller than Colne, eg Kington in Herefordshire with a population of 3240 has town service 460 operated by Sargeants Brothers, though it only operates on certain days.

Any suggestions of towns with even fewer inhabitants offering an every weekday town service ?

Last edited: 9 Feb 2017
  11. Colly405

Colly405 Member

There is now the strange situation in South Glos where the subsidised 625 has recently been taken over by Wessex Mon-Sat, but they have just lost the Sunday part-route contract on it to Stagecoach who have renumbered it as 628.

Also the 622 (Mon-Sat contracted to Severnside) Sunday part-route contract has also moved from Wessex to Stagecoach, who have renumbered it 627.

12. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Are you defining a place with a town charter? In which case there's a lot of villages with a higher population than Kington!

A number of 'not every day' services were originally market day services but in my area most have been replaced by a flexible bus service.

13. extendedpaul

extendedpaul Member

Anywhere that has what is officially called a town service, whether a designated town or a village. Fishguard in West Wales with a population just slightly higher than Kington has a near half-hourly town service Monday to Saturday operated by Richards Brothers (410) but I suspect there are towns/villages with fewer inhabitants than either of these with a town service

Last edited: 10 Feb 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.