• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus services with appropriate numbers (real or proposed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Can anyone think of examples of bus services where the number signifies something to do with the route? Either as a marketing tool or by coincidence? Or indeed suggest any that could exist, just for fun...

To start off, there's various airport services numbered 747/757 etc., and in the past Yorkshire Rider had M1 (Huddersfield to Meadowhall and Sheffield) and M62 (Halifax to Leeds) both of which used the motorway of the same number. Less planned, there was the 55 in Leeds, of which short runs were 55A and terminated, fittingly, at Holbeck!
If ever there was a shuttle bus from Sheffield to Hillsborough it really should be the 282 (think about it!)...

Any others?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Can anyone think of examples of bus services where the number signifies something to do with the route? Either as a marketing tool or by coincidence? Or indeed suggest any that could exist, just for fun...

To start off, there's various airport services numbered 747/757 etc., and in the past Yorkshire Rider had M1 (Huddersfield to Meadowhall and Sheffield) and M62 (Halifax to Leeds) both of which used the motorway of the same number. Less planned, there was the 55 in Leeds, of which short runs were 55A and terminated, fittingly, at Holbeck!
If ever there was a shuttle bus from Sheffield to Hillsborough it really should be the 282 (think about it!)...

Any others?

Examples on this thread http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=94495&highlight=Doncaster&page=5

National Express West Midlands provide buses to the i54 business park in Wolverhampton numbered 54 and 154.

me123

Established Member
The Glasgow to Ayr express bus goes down the M77, and latterly the A77. It's appropriately numbered "X77". Another route, the X76, heads down the M77 initially before taking the A76 to its ultimate destination of Cumnock. Similarly the X74 to Dumfries from Glasgow journeys down the M74 motorway (and onto the A74(M)). The X75 runs along the A75 between Stranraer and Dumfries (it previously ran the whole length of its namesake road and on to Carlisle). One of the many buses from Glasgow to Cumbernauld is the X80, which runs along the M80. Here in Livingston, there is a 71 bus that runs along the route of the A71 to Shotts, although it does deviate as it approaches its Western terminus.

There's allegedly an M8 bus between Glasgow and Edinburgh running along the M8, although I've certainly never seen it despite regularly traveling along that road. I do wonder if it's died a death. Its frequency is only a quarter that of the 900, which it almost exactly duplicates. And it's slower.

You've already alluded to the 7x7 series of buses around the country running to airports, in homage to Boeing's passenger aircraft. I've also come across the 320 if we leave the UK, serving Halifax Airport which may (or indeed may not) be a reference to a certain Airbus aircraft.

An interesting missed opportunity - the X99 bus in the North of Scotland runs from Inverness to Thurso along the A9. It, sadly, does not run along the A99 to Wick, a route which is served instead by the X97.

Last edited:

Cambus731

there are quite a few routes about where the number corresponds with the A, or M route, usually deliberately.
A shortlived couple from 1995 was Budget Busways 12/12A from Colchester to Chelmsford and their 120 from Colchester to Braintree

One accidental one was when TGM Colchester as it was then, merged the 133 with the X22 so the 133 which for a long time ran only between Braintree and Stansted Airport was extended eastward to Colchester using the route of the X22 which meant it went into Colchester along the A133

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Carousel Buses has the A40 route from High Wycombe to Heathrow which runs along the A40 from High Wycombe to Junction 1 of the M40.

pemma

Veteran Member
There used to be occasional H50 buses from Congleton to Altrincham via the A50

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is an X66 in my area that runs between Darlington and Middlesbrough using the A66 road for most of it's route.

overthewater

Established Member
There's allegedly an M8 bus between Glasgow and Edinburgh running along the M8, although I've certainly never seen it despite regularly traveling along that road. I do wonder if it's died a death. It's frequency is only a quarter that of the 900, which it almost exactly duplicates. And it's slower.

That bus is still ruining every day, but it will be gone by the end of the month? as you say its at death door, but its been said the owner came to agreement with Citylink to get some work back.

Strathclyder

Established Member
First Glasgow's X8 (Pollok Circular Express) briefly runs along the M8 (from Junctions 18 to 22, where it diverges off onto the M77).

charley_17/7

Some former routes:

Stagecoach (Ribble) express used to have the X61, using the M61, and likewise the X60, which used the M60!

X62 Leeds - Hull, using the M62

MK1 Milton Keynes - Canary Wharf, using the M1

Current ones:

LHR Oxford - Heathrow

LGW Oxford - Gatwick

Ianno87

Veteran Member
X61 used to operate between (Blackpool), Preston and Manchester on the M61
X60, formerly Preston-Trafford Centre partly via the M60
X59, formerly Preston-Southport partly via the A59

Apparently, the 428 used to run between Bedford and Cambridge (long before the introduction of the X5) the A428 road now running between these two points.

757 used to be the Manchester City Centre-Airport express bus in GM Buses days, before the Airport rail link (and I believe 757 is still the number of the Leeds-Bradford Airport shuttle bus!)

My personal favourite is that at one point in time, the number 999 ran to Walsall Hospital!

That's all the ones I can think of!

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Apparently, the 428 used to run between Bedford and Cambridge (long before the introduction of the X5) the A428 road now running between these two points.

Actually the number was 128 (and 129) and ran Northampton- Bedford- Cambridge. The service ended with deregulation and the introduction of the Coachlinks network.

Rapidash

Possibly not the same.... but in Exeter the suburban services use letters, which occasionally match up to a destination.

A to Alphington, D to Digby, H to Hospital, R to Rifford Rd and so on.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Then there's the X7 which crosses the River Severn between Bristol and Chepstow.

David57

Stagecoach Kettering X43 Northampton Kettering service follows the A43 for most of its route.

Kingsbury Jn.

Arriva Midlands runs an AV1 bus service to and from Villa Park on match days. I think it may be sponsored by the Samaritans, judging from the miserable faces at the windows when it passes thru' Kingsbury!

Statto

Established Member
41 Woodchurch-Mill Park uses the A41, also 41 Chester-Whitchurch uses the A41 as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Arriva Midlands runs an AV1 bus service to and from Villa Park on match days. I think it may be sponsored by the Samaritans, judging from the miserable faces at the windows when it passes thru' Kingsbury!

Not surprising they're miserable with Villa's position bottom of the table, with only 3 wins in the league all season

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Possibly not the same.... but in Exeter the suburban services use letters, which occasionally match up to a destination.

A to Alphington, D to Digby, H to Hospital, R to Rifford Rd and so on.

Preston Corporation used to do the same - the Ashton A for example. Mind you, the part of Ashton where my parents-in-law lived was served by the P1!

Status
Not open for further replies.