• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Stop Relics

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Spotted this and wondered if there’s anything comparable in the UK? This stop (somewhere in Somerset - no locations given) has a timetable and also a range of tours and excursions dating from 1998!!

Can anyone provide anything else that rivals this - no exact locations please in case someone then removes it so it adorns their shed!

Attachments

• C12D8973-3F9B-40B8-A331-27466D2A0495.jpeg
    C12D8973-3F9B-40B8-A331-27466D2A0495.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 516
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James101

Some I’ve spotted, still up around Staffordshire today4D0FA9AD-4A54-4C4F-B4ED-2FB4037592DF.jpeg A232C736-F828-4F69-8B3F-1B4E7E883B64.jpeg 4D0FA9AD-4A54-4C4F-B4ED-2FB4037592DF.jpeg A232C736-F828-4F69-8B3F-1B4E7E883B64.jpeg 95513EB7-BE73-4ECC-8C20-2E2F77EF925A.jpeg ]47439[/ATTACH]

Last edited:

vlad

No photo I'm afraid but there's a Stevenson's branded bus stop sign (not the one mentioned in the post above) somewhere in North Staffs.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This relic in Newmarket referring to the Stagecoach Express X10, X11 and X12 (formerly Bury St Edmunds/Mildenhall-Cambridge). From what I can figure bit the dust well over 10 years ago (or at least morphed into the present day 11 and 12, no longer reaching Mildenhall)

Attachments

• 20180402_141633.jpg
    20180402_141633.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 170

6Gman

Established Member
There was a North Western enamelled bus stop sign in the Leek area up to quite recently (may still be there).

There were at least two Crosville (blue) Limited Stop signs in S Cheshire up to the last 3 or 4 years - one of them at a location which was never on a Limited Stop route. (One has gone - now in the possession of a friend.)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I thought for a minute from the heading that someone had spotted me at a bus stop.

TAS

No idea how old this flag in Dedham is, but it's obviously of some age. The bus stop itself has shifted just down the road, where it is marked by a much more modern flag, as you can see.

CatfordCat

There is a short section of bus route on the Berkshire / Hampshire borders that got left without a bus service after Tillingbourne went pop in 2001 - there were certainly a few stops complete with timetable a few years ago. Haven't been that way for a while.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Dai Corner

Established Member
I've seen flags still showing Glyn Williams in their former operating area in South Wales. I believe they were taken over by Stagecoach in 2006.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I did the 376 and 126 in Somerset today and I can't remember where but I saw one of the signs which were common in Bristol Omnibus days. Rectangular with rounded corners and BUS STOP in raised black letters on a white background.

Incidentally, the 126 was operated by a bus in Badgerline livery.

James101

Unfortunately I've lost it now, but I once worked on a project that showed 40% of bus stops in existence in Hartlepool are disused. All of which have had their flags replaced in recent years, complete with 'No Services' labels, presumably at grotesque expense.

The 'relic' infrastructure I love to hate is the Hartlepool Interchange. Opened in 2010 at a cost of £5million, it's only every been used by a single, hourly, supported service. It's 4 stands and taxi facilities may be a tad excessive.

The other that stands out for me is the Greatham (Hartlepool) Sharwoods Factory Terminus. The factory itself was demolished in 2002, but services weren't withdrawn until 2010. Meaning the 527 service trundled more than a mile away from the main village to serve a baron wasteland and a disused rail station.

alex397

Established Member
I have no pictures, but off the top of my head -

* Old CountyBus/TownLink bus stops around the Chigwell Row (Essex) area.
* Inside Loughton Station is an original wood/glass timetable display from the LT era, and possibly from when the station was first built in the 1940s. The timetables inside are not that old, but still at least 5 years out of date - great for bus passengers!!!
* Despite Kent CC actively removing old 'East Kent' and 'M&D' era concrete bus stop poles in recent years, some still remain in use. There are some in Chatham, and a few others in east kent which I can't think of right now. The ones most likely to survive are those which are no longer a bus stop, so not in KCC's data - one in Kingsgate near Broadstairs comes to mind. There are also a few concrete bus shelters still in existance - such as the one in Dunkirk (Canterbury), and Rough Common (Canterbury) and another in Thanet.
* There were some Hastings & District bus flags in the Hastings area, but these have apparently all been removed recently.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Some bus stops (top bit on the side glass here) and the signage at Bridge Of Don Park & Ride still carry the old CityQuick branding which dates to the early 90s. Some of the arched shelters (see here) have little squares with route numbers on which date to when ever the bus shelters were erected back in the 90s (afaik). Many stops in the Cove area of the city have old fare info and maps dating from the 00s, i'll have to get photos next time i'm down!

W-on-Sea

Established Member
A couple of years ago, I saw a bus stop (on a road that still has a bus service) in Chesham that had timetables that were over 20 years old (a give away was that the phone numbers given for the operators were in the version that predated the "phONE day" of 1995. I can't remember the exact details, but the operator of the services listed hadn't existed for quite some time, too.

bnm

Established Member
Another one from Somerset, photo taken a few weeks ago:

Attachments

• rps20180501_225307.jpg
    rps20180501_225307.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 136

Strathclyder

Established Member
From my local area (West Dunbartonshire; Kilbowie Rd in Clydebank to be precise):
39899464742_499d44fce8_z.jpg

175mph

On Moderation
There are a few bus stop flags here in Scunthorpe that have the RoadCar branding on them, including a few 'SuperBuzz' type ones, one or two even on roads not even served by any bus routes anymore.

One bus stop flag even has a very faded NBC-era Lincolnshire logo on it, although it's on a road still regularly served by buses.

On Chancel Road, there are two bus stops with timetables not updated since 2005 and referring to long since withdrawn bus routes.

James101

A different slant: across Tees Valley all the bus stop flags were replaced a few years ago for a new style version. Included were dozens of stops which have had no service for decades and are unlikely to ever revive service. One such stop on The Lanyard, Hartlepool is positioned as such road access is impossible by bus, yet it has been replaced anyway, such is the logic of the public sector.

There is an 'East Notts' Bus Stop sign on Trinity Street in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire harking back to the 1970/80s.
bWVkaWFJZDozMjEwNTkzMQ==
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/mitch7532/media/bWVkaWFJZDozMjEwNTkzMQ==/?ref=1
My own bus stop here in Nottinghamshire still had a late 1980s Camms Coaches yellow bus stop sign on the lamp post until quite recently.
bWVkaWFJZDo2MDYyNTc2NQ==
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/mitch7532/media/bWVkaWFJZDo2MDYyNTc2NQ==/?ref=1
When I camped in the hamlet of Alport in the Peak District in the early 80s there was an upside down timetable(out of date) in a wall case dating from the late 1960s for Silver Service routes! The case has now gone.

Last edited:

James101

A different slant: across Tees Valley all the bus stop flags were replaced a few years ago for a new style version. Included were dozens of stops which have had no service for decades and are unlikely to ever revive service. One such stop on The Lanyard, Hartlepool is positioned as such road access is impossible by bus, yet it has been replaced anyway, such is the logic of the public sector.

40145 Panther

We still have a few of these knocking about in Stockport, Tameside and Oldham:

Known in Greater Manchester bus circles as 'idiot boards', a number of route markers were placed at junctions to aid Greater Manchester Transport and GM Buses drivers. The earliest date from the late 1970s with stencilled numbers, whereas 1980s and early 1990s examples used Helvetica Bold numbers. This example above are the two plaques on the junction of Riverside and Crescent Road in Dukinfield. Both the 338 and 351 routes via Tame Valley have long gone whereas the 346 is in rude health.

This second one was seen on Friarmere Road, Delph. Today's 355 route does not go that way and only runs on Sundays and Bank Holidays. The previous 355 route was replaced by an upgraded 350 route in October 2004.

vlad

Something slightly similar is a rather battered road sign I spotted in Wokingham a couple of years ago - I'd assume it's still there as there's no reason to remove it.

On the approach to one of the low railway bridges there was a sign telling all buses to turn into a side street to avoid the bridge. Now, the bridge was more obvious than the sign so your mind would have to be elsewhere if you actually went under the bridge.

I'm not familiar with buses in Wokingham so I don't know whether the sign is even relevant any more.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
We still have a few of these knocking about in Stockport, Tameside and Oldham:

Known in Greater Manchester bus circles as 'idiot boards', a number of route markers were placed at junctions to aid Greater Manchester Transport and GM Buses drivers. The earliest date from the late 1970s with stencilled numbers, whereas 1980s and early 1990s examples used Helvetica Bold numbers. This example above are the two plaques on the junction of Riverside and Crescent Road in Dukinfield. Both the 338 and 351 routes via Tame Valley have long gone whereas the 346 is in rude health.

This second one was seen on Friarmere Road, Delph. Today's 355 route does not go that way and only runs on Sundays and Bank Holidays. The previous 355 route was replaced by an upgraded 350 route in October 2004.

Recall seeing quite a few of them around Wythenshawe a few years back.

My brother drove for Blue Bus of Bolton for a while, and if you wanted a reminder of the route to follow, you were given an 'Idiot Sheet'

_toommm_

Established Member
North East Derbyshire still has bus stops adorned with First South Yorkshire logos.

How long is it since they pulled out of Derbyshire (excluding the 271/272)? I can remember the 27 (Rotherham-Dinnington-Crystal Peaks) running through Killamarsh and possibly the old 23/a/b/c (Rotherham-Sheffield via here there and everywhere) running through Derbyshire too

North East Derbyshire still has bus stops adorned with First South Yorkshire logos.

How long is it since they pulled out of Derbyshire (excluding the 271/272)? I can remember the 27 (Rotherham-Dinnington-Crystal Peaks) running through Killamarsh and possibly the old 23/a/b/c (Rotherham-Sheffield via here there and everywhere) running through Derbyshire too

Technically they did until April 2018! They had a sole journey on route 29A at 0456am From Halfway via Killamarsh to Rotherham, or they did according to the November 2017 Derbyshire timetable book - the contract to run it was taken over by TM Travel in April 2018.

_toommm_

Established Member
Technically they did until April 2018! They had a sole journey on route 29A at 0456am From Halfway via Killamarsh to Rotherham, or they did according to the November 2017 Derbyshire timetable book - the contract to run it was taken over by TM Travel in April 2018.

Bit of an interesting run that one - not sure why most of it ran as it only picked up trade in Wales and Aston towards Rotherham!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This relic in Newmarket referring to the Stagecoach Express X10, X11 and X12 (formerly Bury St Edmunds/Mildenhall-Cambridge). From what I can figure bit the dust well over 10 years ago (or at least morphed into the present day 11 and 12, no longer reaching Mildenhall)

Turns out the X11 number is to make a comback from 29th July as a renumbering of the current 11 journeys that run to/from Cambridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.