• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Stop Relics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Plenty of relics when traveling in South Wales. Old pre beach ball Stagecoach stops in Aberdare and Merthyr. Also a number of firms long gone such as Shamrock, Isley, and Gwyn Williams!

Added the second one if only for the outwardly menacing guy in the doorway
I had to take my wife to a meeting in Risca once, and had to while away three hours before picking her up in the car - I very quickly decided to while the time away somewhere else, several miles away!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
I had to take my wife to a meeting in Risca once, and had to while away three hours before picking her up in the car - I very quickly decided to while the time away somewhere else, several miles away!

If in Risca, a trip around Ty Sign on the Stagecoach R1 is a must for officianados of bus stop relics with many of the flags still showing Glyn Williams and long lost route numbers last time I did it. I wouldn't get off though; it's an estate on the steep side of the Valley where Caerphilly Council are said to house some of their more challenging tenants. The Royal Mail refused to deliver to one block of flats for a while following abuse from some of the residents.

175mph

On Moderation
Not sure if this counts as a bus stop relic, but just spotted a Travel South Yorkshire styled bus stop sign on Albion Street, Hull!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190720-172509.png
    Screenshot_20190720-172509.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 108

SCH117X

Established Member
Not sure if this counts as a bus stop relic, but just spotted a Travel South Yorkshire styled bus stop sign on Albion Street, Hull!
Presumably road works nearby, that or another is a frequent visitor to North Yorkshire, presumably has been acquired by a road works contractor.

Andyh82

Established Member
You see TSY temporary stops in West Yorks a lot as well. The roadworks contractor is obviously not familiar with public transport branding and boundaries!

There has been a Travel South Yorkshire bus stop sign abandoned in our village (they had been in use during gas renewals) - 5 miles from Nottingham City Centre - for the last year. It must be the road contractors acquired a load up that way and never gave them back!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
You see TSY temporary stops in West Yorks a lot as well. The roadworks contractor is obviously not familiar with public transport branding and boundaries!

The furthest TSY temporary stop flag I've seen was in Bramham. I've even seen them in Southwram (pronounced as Sou-thar-rum), one in Brighouse, one dumped in the River Holme in Holmfirth and one very old one in Penistone which had the old Sheffield area code on the bottom of it. I've seen a few West Yorkshire Metro ones in North Yorkshire and York, some in South Yorkshire oddly enough and even stumbled across one in Buxton!

Speaking of Buxton, I did seen an old Trent Buses lable stuck to the stop flag at the stop near to The Crescent - sadly the lable had been removed when I last went to Buxton, someone must have unpeeled it and took it as a souvernir.

richw

Veteran Member
There’s a western greyhound flag outside my kids school. I know of a western greyhound timetable still in situ at a now disused stop.
At the end of my road there is a DAC timetable, jackets and Plymouth Citybus have both subsequently operated the route that calls in my street twice daily. PCB are the current operator.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There’s a western greyhound flag outside my kids school. I know of a western greyhound timetable still in situ at a now disused stop.
At the end of my road there is a DAC timetable, jackets and Plymouth Citybus have both subsequently operated the route that calls in my street twice daily. PCB are the current operator.

There are some WG ones out towards Porthcurno IIRC

swifty

Established Member
I spotted this Bagerline flag, complete with Avon County Council sticker, deep in thier old operating area today. I believe its no longer on a bus route anymore either.

Attachments

• B5B3D039-E75F-4A94-86D6-68DC81D6B849.jpeg
    B5B3D039-E75F-4A94-86D6-68DC81D6B849.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 83

SCH117X

Established Member
Cycled pass a NBC West Yorkshire one yesterday - Gilsthwaithe Lane Cattal/Kirk Hammerton. Hoped the sports cam would have picked it clearly but sadly not so looked on Google Streetscene and the 2009 photo appears to show a completely different one as there is no red band evident for the white NBC logo and West Yorkshire lettering so has it been changed since then and if so why. Might be served by a school bus but it must be years since a service bus went along here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.999...4!1sj5R8DWn9K3uVQVWte0YkCA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:

charley_17/7

The furthest TSY temporary stop flag I've seen was in Bramham. I've even seen them in Southwram (pronounced as Sou-thar-rum), one in Brighouse, one dumped in the River Holme in Holmfirth and one very old one in Penistone which had the old Sheffield area code on the bottom of it. I've seen a few West Yorkshire Metro ones in North Yorkshire and York, some in South Yorkshire oddly enough and even stumbled across one in Buxton!

Came across a temporary TSY bus stop on the A514 Osmaston Road, just beyond Derby Litchurch Lane works the other week, just before the junction with Ascot Drive! Didn't realise it was the contractor, rather than the council putting them out.

route101

Established Member
I think there may be old Strathclyde branded bus stops if you know where to look.

Mwanesh

There is a stop I saw in Barlborough outside Chesterfield with a Firstbus sign never knew they went that far.

aliceh

There's a couple of bus stops along Charminster Road in Bournemouth (notably Markham Road) that have Dorset Sprinter stickers on them, despite that service ending in about 2011.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Up until recently three bus stops in Edinburgh still made reference to railway stations closed in the 1960's.

Granton Road,
Craigleith,
Morningside.

Taunton

Established Member
I saw one of the signs which were common in Bristol Omnibus days. Rectangular with rounded corners and BUS STOP in raised black letters on a white background.
Alas I remember those, from long ago. Black on white was for mainstream stops. Request stops had a yellow background.

The most characterful of the old style ones were Western National, in the countryside around Taunton. Buses there stopped for anyone, anywhere, but each village centre had just one green Western National large board, saying Bus Stop Both Ways at the top, but which had pasted on it underneath, closely printed on a large yellow poster, the complete bus timetables for all the routes around Taunton, seemingly assembled from all the pages in the timetable book. Your actual location was usually underlined in red biro. At a very youthful age, from waiting for the bus home, I learned a great deal about the local geography, which routes went where, which only ran on Thursdays, and the names of myriad villages I never got to. Unfortunately there was no map.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

There's a couple of bus stops along Charminster Road in Bournemouth (notably Markham Road) that have Dorset Sprinter stickers on them, despite that service ending in about 2011.
Spotted that one today. Plenty of Yellow Buses flags still around the area. Wonder if they will last as long?

Ken H

On Moderation
Not a bus stop flag but there is a Ribble timetable case still in use on the wall of the Naked Man cafe in Settle.
Someone has ground off the embossed 'Ribble' and painted it black but its obvious what it is.

SSmith2009

A new bus shelter has recently been installed on Hinckley Road (at Narborough Road junction) in Leicester, it currently has a timetable for arriva service 104 from the previous timetable case dating back to 2003!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
This relic is in the area of the old North Western Road Car Company of Stockport, although I’d rather not say where. NWRCC disappeared in 1972 and this isn’t even their final design of bus stop flag. I assume it’s still there because it’s attached to a private building?

North Western bus stop, 'somewhere', April 2019 by Paul Williams, on Flickr
Understand that; don't want some enthusiast trotting along and removing it for his/her private collection, or some faceless organisation in the name of progress. The odd relic is nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.