• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus strikes could hit Merseyside, Greater Manchster and Cheshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Liverpool Echo said:
Bus drivers in Merseyside could go out on strike in a row over pay.

Driver and engineers at Stagecoach’s Gillmoss depot have voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action.

And drivers and engineers at Arriva in the North West are also being polled over industrial action after they rejected a pay offer from the company.

John Boughton, regional industrial organiser at Unite, said Stagecoach workers had not yet decided what – if any – action they would take.

He said: “Given the fact that almost 98% of people voted in favour of action, one would hope that management would want to get around the table to resolve our differences so that industrial action would be averted.”

Ballot papers have been sent to hourly-paid workers at 11 Arriva locations across the North West.

A Unite spokesman said any action would affect depots in Runcorn, St Helens, Speke, Green Lane, Birkenhead, Bootle and Southport.

Howard Farrall, area managing director Merseyside for Arriva, said: “We have been in discussions with our trade union colleagues for a number of months in relation to the drivers pay review for Merseyside.

“Arriva has put forward a final offer of 2.3% rising to 2.6% after 9 months. Whilst this has not yet resulted in a recommended offer, we remain committed to working with the Trade Union to reach a mutually agreeable position.

“Any pay increase must be at a level that the business can sustain.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/bus-drivers-liverpool-vote-industrial-13678143

The way things are going there won't be any transport operators serving Liverpool who aren't striking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

M28361M

It has been confirmed. Stagecoach drivers at Gillmoss depot will walk out on 14th, 19th, 23rd and 30th October. Arriva drivers at Merseyside depots will walk out on three of those days: 19th, 23rd and 30th October.

Liverpool Echo said:
Bus passengers across Merseyside face three days of chaos this month after workers at Arriva and Stagecoach revealed they would strike at the same time.

Engineers and drivers at Stagecoach’s Liverpool depot had already confirmed they would walk out for four days this month , starting on Saturday, in a row over pay.

But unions Unite and the GMB have now confirmed that their members at Arriva across the whole North West will strike on three of the same days as Stagecoach staff – on Thursday, October 19, Monday, October 23, and Monday, October 30.

Unless the dispute is resolved, most Liverpool buses won’t run on those days. In the wider region, Stagecoach buses would still run in Wirral and Cheshire, but many Arriva buses would face cancellation.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/arriva-stagecoach-bus-drivers-set-13742951

Stagecoach have already said this Saturday they intend to focus on running the 20/21 route and 917 matchday service. I assume they will be drafting in management from other areas to run a skeleton service, as they have done in the past.

Arriva have posted a note on their Facebook page saying they hope to have talks with the unions to resolve matters.

If the strike goes ahead, I'm expecting my train to work to be a bit busier than usual on the above dates!

Polarbear

Established Member
It appears that the Stagecoach strikes have now been called off, following productive talks;

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travel-updates/Pages/Industrial-Action.aspx

People travelling in the Liverpool City Region are being urged to plan their journeys and check before they travel ahead of planned industrial action by members of Unite and GMB unions on Arriva bus services and some Stagecoach bus services in October.

Strike action is due to affect some Stagecoach bus services on Monday 23rd October and Monday 30th October.

Strike action is due to affect Arriva bus services on Thursday 19th October, Monday 23rd October & Monday 30th October.

Previously announced strike action on Saturday 14th October and Thursday 19th October affecting Stagecoach services has now been cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarbear

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has heard any more regarding the proposed Arriva Merseyside strike action? It all seems to have gone very quiet (which may be a good thing if there are ongoing negotiations).

M28361M

Chester depot will be operating but that's it. Merseyrail will accept Arriva prepaid tickets on Thursday.

The current rail replacement bus service to Hunts Cross is operated by Arriva, and Merseyrail are advising that "different vehicles to usual" may be used on Thursday.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member

I wonder if other operators will try to use larger vehicles on routes which part duplicate Arriva services. The Howards Travel 27 Macclesfield service is normally operated by a 28 seater Enviro 200 which is really the smallest size bus they can get away with at peak times, if a number of passengers for AstraZeneca, Broken Cross and Macclesfield Hospital passengers who normally use the Arriva 130 start trying to get on the 27, some people are going to get left behind.

pemma

Veteran Member
Obviously a number of North West drivers are still working despite the strike.

We currently have some services running out of our North West Depots;

Macclesfield

All services in Macclesfield area running to normal timetable (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 21, 38 and 130).

Winsford

Limited service is running (approximatly hourly) on the 1, 2, 4, 6 and 29.
Short journey on service 84 (Crewe to Nantwich only)
Limited service on 31 and 37 but only running between Crewe, Sandbach and Middlewich.

Wythenshawe
The following service will operate

Service 19
0840 Altrincham to Wythenshawe Bus Station
1136 Wythenshawe Hospital to Wythenshawe Bus Station
1200 Wythenshawe Bus Station to Altrincham
1320 Altrincham to Wythenshawe Hospital

Service 263
0910 Altrincham to Manchester
1153 Altrincham to Manchester
1258 Manchester to Altrincham
1408 Altrincham to Manchester
1513 Manchester to Altrincham

Service 247
0800 Trafford Centre to Altrincham
0910 Altrincham to Trafford Centre
1015 Trafford Centre to Altrincham

Southport
Park and Ride services only

No other services are currently running.

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-west/Floating/strike-update-page/#59e857e4358f4

M28361M

Further strike dates - every Monday in November (6th, 13th, 20th, 27th).

Haven't seen any official announcement, but Arriva's Twitter rep confirmed the above in reply to a passenger enquiry.

Polarbear

Established Member
Probably as well the first of those proposed dates wasn't 8 November - that really would have gilded the lily! ;)

sjb-2812

Further strike dates - every Monday in November (6th, 13th, 20th, 27th).

Haven't seen any official announcement, but Arriva's Twitter rep confirmed the above in reply to a passenger enquiry.

Almost making Day tickets worthwhile instead of 4-weekly ones now then (apart from the hassle of sorting change everyday). Is this available anywhere?

pemma

Veteran Member
Almost making Day tickets worthwhile instead of 4-weekly ones now then (apart from the hassle of sorting change everyday). Is this available anywhere?

Although, if Arriva have ticket acceptance on Northern again and you need to use the train for at least part of your journey on a strike day, then the weekly ticket will probably be cheaper than 4 x bus day tickets and 1 x rail return ticket.

M28361M

Probably as well the first of those proposed dates wasn't 8 November - that really would have gilded the lily! ;)

Unite/GMB have now announced they will also be striking on 8th November in addition to the Monday dates.

8th November will be a fun day for public transport in Liverpool if the strike isn't called off.

sjb-2812

Although, if Arriva have ticket acceptance on Northern again and you need to use the train for at least part of your journey on a strike day, then the weekly ticket will probably be cheaper than 4 x bus day tickets and 1 x rail return ticket.

True - but when a return is £3.50 and a 4-weekly £61.50 with little co-validity 5 days off does make things tip one way rather than the other. I checked the page at around 3 on Monday, things were apparently fine but between then and leaving work at 5:30 things kicked off a bit on the 10.

pemma

Veteran Member
The unions have called strike action for 4, 7, 12 ,13, 14, 20, 21, 22 and 23 December after Arriva said their final offer is 2.6% rise increasing to the equivalent of a 3% rise after 6 months - they want 3% from day 1.

Allegedly a driver manning an unofficial Unite Facebook page posted the 13th December strike had been moved to the 10th to disrupt the Merseyside Derby. Arriva believed it was genuine and attacked Unite, with the union now even more furious with Arriva.

Polarbear

Established Member
The unions have called strike action for 4, 7, 12 ,13, 14, 20, 21, 22 and 23 December after Arriva said their final offer is 2.6% rise increasing to the equivalent of a 3% rise after 6 months - they want 3% from day 1.

Allegedly a driver manning an unofficial Unite Facebook page posted the 13th December strike had been moved to the 10th to disrupt the Merseyside Derby. Arriva believed it was genuine and attacked Unite, with the union now even more furious with Arriva.

It's certainly getting rather tetchy in & around Merseyside regarding the ongoing dispute. There was also an article in the Liverpool Echo a few days ago where a driver was retaliating against some of the comments made by customers inconvenienced by the strikes.

Also from the Echo, was a report of police being called to more than one depot where there's been some unrest.

What I can't understand is that given that there's seemingly a small gap between the two parties (2.6% as against 3%), this seems to be a rather bitter & protracted dispute? I realise that not everything at issue will be in the public domain, and I'm generally supportive of the drivers given the stressful job they do. That said, I still find it surprising that this has gone on so long and has become so entrenched.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
What I can't understand is that given that there's seemingly a small gap between the two parties (2.6% as against 3%), this seems to be a rather bitter & protracted dispute? I realise that not everything at issue will be in the public domain, and I'm generally supportive of the drivers given the stressful job they do. That said, I still find it surprising that this has gone on so long and has become so entrenched.

Just from reading one of the reports, I got the impression that the union was simply saying '.......the operation is profitable, so we want more money......'.

I'm not sure that's how businesses usually work.

Polarbear

Established Member
Just from reading one of the reports, I got the impression that the union was simply saying '.......the operation is profitable, so we want more money......'.

I'm not sure that's how businesses usually work.

Agreed that it's not how businesses normally work. I'm aware that some of the routes in question are, shall we say, marginal so I'm not convinced there's that much money available. Even more so given the hit they are probably taking due to the ongoing strikes!

pemma

Veteran Member

From what's been posted on a buses forum, the 3% rise isn't the annual pay review it relates to an additional award so that all drivers working for all Arriva North West depots get the same rate of pay. Apparently drivers at former MTL depots get 3% less than the drivers at the former Stevensons depot in Macclesfield, which is why some former MTL depots have had no services on strike days while Macclesfield has had a full service - their drivers don't get anything whatever the outcome of the dispute.

Agreed that it's not how businesses normally work. I'm aware that some of the routes in question are, shall we say, marginal so I'm not convinced there's that much money available. Even more so given the hit they are probably taking due to the ongoing strikes!

Apparently Arriva make their depots bid against each other for work, which could affect the Runcorn depot if the staffing cost increases as the nearby Chester depot belongs to Arriva Wales not Arriva North West and work has transferred between the two depots before.

Statto

Established Member
Apparently Arriva make their depots bid against each other for work, which could affect the Runcorn depot if the staffing cost increases as the nearby Chester depot belongs to Arriva Wales not Arriva North West and work has transferred between the two depots before.

Runcorn have recently lost, or about to lose the X30 Chester-Warrington to Chester Depot, quite odd Arriva call it Chester depot when it's not even in Chester, & it's is not even in England.

pemma

Veteran Member
Runcorn have recently lost, or about to lose the X30 Chester-Warrington to Chester Depot, quite odd Arriva call it Chester depot when it's not even in Chester, & it's is not even in England.

They seem to like calling depots after the nearest place of significant, whereas other operators refer to them by the place they are actually in, however small e.g. D&G have Wincham and Adderley Green depots rather than Northwich and Stoke-on-Trent depots.

Polarbear

Established Member
Is anyone aware of any ongoing talks to settle this dispute, or is the impasse still ongoing?

itsonlyme

I am not able to verify this at the time of posting, but I am informed that the strike planned for Thursday, 7 December is cancelled.

Polarbear

Established Member
I am not able to verify this at the time of posting, but I am informed that the strike planned for Thursday, 7 December is cancelled.

Apparently, the two sides are holding further talks today (Wednesday), and Thursday's strike was called off as a good will measure whilst talks were ongoing. I understand a revised offer may be made, but I don't have any more detail than that.

Fingers crossed this gets resolved before the strikes ramp up before Christmas - that won't do anyone any good.

turboslug

The best way to sort this out is Crosville > Wrexham > c1990

Close the depots, crosville closed their liverpool depot in 1987 due to a strike & the company never recovered, it was broken up in 1989, i remember crosville wales closing wrexham depot, independent operators had a field day even pmt crosville started on wrexham route, it took crosville wales years to be major operator again plus oswestry took over a few routes & was transferred to midland red north, i wouldn't close depots i would sort it out, stagecoach have the capacity at gillmoss & Wigan to take over any withdrawn routes if arriva did that

when crosville closed Liverpool depot it was a disaster for everyone passengers and drivers alike as crosville won a lot of tendered services from mersey travel both sides of arriva management and drivers need to sort this mess out quickly or depots will close

Polarbear

Established Member
Apparently, a fresh offer is to be put to the staff early next week. Hopefully, this dispute can be resolved sooner rather than later?

Status
Not open for further replies.