• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses and the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If that's the case then why does every single bus in Continental Europe (With pretty much the exception of very short minibuses) have at least two doors?

It's a legal requirement in Germany for emergency exit purposes (rather than our offside door they have two nearside and roof hatches) so even minibuses have one. The Blankeneser Bergziege (Blankenese mountain goat) minibuses in Hamburg looked a bit comedy as a result.

vhh_Bergziege-1974-Foto_Egon-Ihde_Sammlung-HOV-1024x683.jpg

Blankeneser Bergziege bus, from VHH, the operator

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I always use the middle door to get off wherever possible.

I have found on some operators with dual doors outside London there is a reluctance to actually use them. I was once on a Reading Buses 17, the rear door opened then the drive slammed it straight back shut asking me to get off at the front door.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
P.S. This thing on dual door buses was just a prediction of mine. I do agree that the middle door is no use on interurban routes (for example in my area, the 23 Metrobus, or 17 Stagecoach South, or 63 Arriva Guildford) and it's better suited to town/city operation, maybe that's something that Continental Europe could learn from us.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
One thing I also noticed about city buses in Continental Europe (this is mainly based in Italy, where I go there every now and again as I'm partially Italian and some of my family live there) is that most tend to at least 3 doors (4 on bendy buses). It's a bit too much to be fair, 2 just sounds perfectly good (3 for bendy buses). Also the problem for me about 3 door buses on rigid vehicles (4 on bendy buses) is that it can encourage fare evasion, especially that in Italy you can use both the first and third door to board.

Non Multi

I have found on some operators with dual doors outside London there is a reluctance to actually use them. I was once on a Reading Buses 17, the rear door opened then the drive slammed it straight back shut asking me to get off at the front door.
Reading Transport gave up on dual door buses after a fatality, IIRC. They've only just been reintroduced in the last few years.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Reading Transport gave up on dual door buses after a fatality, IIRC. They've only just been reintroduced in the last few years.

Same with Lothian Buses lol. Dual door buses only came back to Edinburgh thanks to the introduction of the E400XLB.

Llandudno

Established Member
Might be a bit time consuming and costly to extend the raised kerb area at bus stops though.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I still think it's using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. If the aim is solely to protect the driver, then better bandit screens would be a lower cost alternative.

I can see the point of having dual doors in large towns and cities where boarding and alighting is separated, but we're no longer in the position where we have separate city operators, except in a few cases. You'd have to either have dedicated urban fleets which would reduce the flexibility for larger companies to move buses around.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Single deckers round here can hold two prams or a pram and a wheelchair. They often do. That's lost with an extra door.

overthewater

Established Member
Is there a full update list of bus companies that have thrown in the towel? if social distancing is to carry on until Autumn they is NO way bus companies will break even on the routes, and the govermenet will have to provide further assistance, I think we will see a few more compaines going to the wall.

carlberry

Established Member
Is there a full update list of bus companies that have thrown in the towel? if social distancing is to carry on until Autumn they is NO way bus companies will break even on the routes, and the govermenet will have to provide further assistance, I think we will see a few more compaines going to the wall.
Have any bus companies closed? Several coach companies have however I'm not aware of any bus companies that have recently other than retirement.

carlberry

Established Member
If that's the case then why does every single bus in Continental Europe (With pretty much the exception of very short minibuses) have at least two doors?
Every bus in Continental Europe has doors on the right, perhaps we should do that?

carlberry

Established Member
Not being reported as far as I am aware, in any case they could just claim to be going shopping. Drivers do know who the bus spotters are, they stand out even during normal times.
I'm not aware of the specific legislation stopping bus spotters traveling, or anything preventing them holding key worker positions or letting them buy food. If they're insulting/threatening drivers or passengers, getting too close to people or threatening the emergency services then the police should be contacted, otherwise it's unlikely they're actually causing more trouble than other sections of society that have decided the rules don't apply to them and are willing to do most of the prove their entitlement as well.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Every bus in Continental Europe has doors on the right, perhaps we should do that?

Haha, good point. Some people were actually thinking that it would be a good idea for the UK to start driving on the right instead of the left, a bit like what they did in Sweden and Iceland in 1968. But I personally wouldn't bother, because it doesn't really matter for me on what side you drive.

Sorry for the off topic.

alex397

Established Member
Have any bus companies closed? Several coach companies have however I'm not aware of any bus companies that have recently other than retirement.

There is Swallow Coaches, who operated a few Essex County Council bus services. They specifically mentioned coronavirus. However, mostly known for their coach work. I can't think of any operators who just ran buses, apart from TJ Walsh. Hopefully there will not be many more casualties from this, but it is early days.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Service increases are beginning to be announced, with Arriva, Metrobus and Stagecoach across Surrey and Hampshire having fairly significant increases from this coming Monday.

Trackman

Established Member
Service increases are beginning to be announced, with Arriva, Metrobus and Stagecoach across Surrey and Hampshire having fairly significant increases from this coming Monday.

Diamond NW have done it already on some busy 10 minute frequency routes from last Tuesday.

Dstock7080

Established Member

London’s buses to return to front-door boarding
29 May 2020
Analysis by UCL (University College London) has found that safety improvements made to screens by TfL has made it possible to return to front-door boarding along with collaborative work with UNITE and bus operators

Mikey C

Established Member
Double-decker buses with multiple doors will have a capacity of 20 people. Drivers will have the discretion to allow up to 25 passengers, if households are travelling together. Single-decker buses will have a capacity of between 6 and 10 people. Drivers will have the discretion to allow up to 7 or up to 14 passengers if households are travelling together, depending on the size of the bus

20 people on a double decker won't shift many people! The "non essential" shops may be reopening soon, but public transport won't be able to take many of them to Westfield, Brent Cross or Oxford Street

Status
Not open for further replies.