• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses and the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

markymark2000

On Moderation
That's not what Rishi Suvak said, including when he was freezing business rates to help smaller businesses during this time

But funny how the Tories doling money out left, right and centre is just Good Economic Sense :lol:
Freezing, not reducing. Plus that doesn't overly help bus operators.

FWIW, I do not support either party. The comment made was my opinion on some of the policies at the time of the election.
Anyway, way off topic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

175mph

On Moderation
I could have sworn Rishi Sunak was pulling leaves off the magic money tree left, right, and centre last Thursday.

Biggest budget giveaway for 30 years, wasn't it, including huge wedges of dosh for buses and businesses affected by Covid-19!

It's been a long time since I've been on a bus in the UK without attack screens on the cab. If a driver's going to get Covid-19 it's most likely to be off the hard surfaces in the cab they touch all the time, such as the ticket machine or the steering wheel, rather than the punters (though handling lots of cash is undoubtedly risky).

That will be the real issue with buses- I could see Covid-19 going through a depot like a dose of salts. All those lovely hard surfaces for the virus to live on, and spread to colleagues, and not many chances to wash your hands.

The health risks are small, but good luck getting public liability insurance!
In Scunthorpe, Stagecoach have some Wright Eclipses, without anti attack screens, apparently one reason why they are rarely seen on the roads in the evening!

Established Member
The vast majority of people don't pay, they're on passes. This being the case, foresaking the income may actually make sense to protect the staff, if the Government will step in and fund continuation of service if necessary.

Anecdotal, but the buses I've been on this week seemed to have unusually low numbers of older passengers, and if the reports doing the rounds that over 70s are to be asked to stay at home are true there aren't going to be many pass holders using the buses.

I don't think a government suspension of bus services is likely, in the short term at least, but operators are likely to be facing a prolonged loss of revenue, so it wouldn't be surprising to see marginal services cut and other routes reduced in frequency. Any operators already struggling are going to be in a very difficult position.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I don't think a government suspension of bus services is likely, in the short term at least, but operators are likely to be facing a prolonged loss of revenue, so it wouldn't be surprising to see marginal services cut and other routes reduced in frequency. Any operators already struggling are going to be in a very difficult position.
I don't necessarily have a problem with that, if it's a temporary measure to meet demand. My concern is that any frequency cuts will be permanent, and this one virus could decimate the bus network for years to come.

Snow1964

Established Member
In London, there is more concern over the cleaning, and possible germs.

Some Operators (and some garages are particularly bad), are pretty poor, more like a quick drive through a bus wash (often not done if frosty), then get some low paid person to collect litter in a bin bag and cursory wipe with dirty rag. No attempt to clean it between journeys at end of route.

You only have to look at patches of mould around corners of windows to know it hasn’t had intense sanitisation. Anyone touching a grab pole is risking life and limb (choice of risk of falling over by not holding on, or risk of catching some infection by holding it). Maybe Government should be introducing a minimum cleaning standard and frequency

Last edited:

PeterC

Established Member

Some Operators (and some garages are particularly bad), are pretty poor, more like a quick drive through a bus wash (often not done if frosty), then get some low paid lazy person to collect litter in a bin bag and cursory wipe with dirty rag. No attempt to clean it at end of route.

You only have to look at patches of mould around corners of windows to know it hasn’t had intense sanitisation. Anyone touching a grab pole is risking life and limb (choice of risk of falling over by not holding on, or risk of catching some infection by holding it). Maybe Government should be introducing a minimum cleaning standard and frequency
I have started wearing gloves when I need to use public transport for that very reason.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Some Operators (and some garages are particularly bad), are pretty poor, more like a quick drive through a bus wash (often not done if frosty), then get some low paid lazy person to collect litter in a bin bag and cursory wipe with dirty rag. No attempt to clean it at end of route.

I'm not sure if I agree with your view that low-paid staff are lazy. Maybe a quick litter pick and wipe down is all they have time to do before moving on to the next bus. Perhaps they might be able to spend more time doing a thorough clean if passengers took their rubbish with them and disposed of it correctly, rather than relying on someone else to clean up after them.

Megafuss

I am relativley confident about cleaning being increased at main depots. I wonder what is happening at outstations though

Rod Harrison

I think one of the knock on effects could be a large number of smaller operators going to the wall. Independents have taken on a significant proportion of the less profitable services. Their margins are thin anyway and they often boost their income with tours, excursions etc. which could melt away very quickly. Sadly this scenario will apply to large sections of the economy, quite worrying what will be left once this truly real ‘crisis’ (a word used for every minor problem by a certain section of the political establishment over the past 10 years) is finally over. This could take a year before a vaccine is available.

Aictos

Established Member
I'm not sure if I agree with your view that low-paid staff are lazy. Maybe a quick litter pick and wipe down is all they have time to do before moving on to the next bus. Perhaps they might be able to spend more time doing a thorough clean if passengers took their rubbish with them and disposed of it correctly, rather than relying on someone else to clean up after them.

Indeed, on the trains that I have used this week the number of used tissues just chucked on the floor has skyrocketed, people seem to think it's acceptable to use tissues and once used just leave them on seats and on the floor because someone else will clean up after them.

IMO, this is disgusting and spreads the virus even more!

carlberry

Established Member
I have started wearing gloves when I need to use public transport for that very reason.
Whilst the virus is likely to last longer on hands than gloves if you touch your face at any point whilst wearing them the difference is zero and, of course, you're less likely to wash gloves.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
low paid lazy person

What a thoroughly obnoxious thing to say. Cleaners are many things- underpaid and overworked, mainly- but they are not lazy.

Bus operators don't give cleaners time to do more than a quick once over during the day. And even at night they don't get time to do much more.

Funny, I often find cleaners are the hardest grafters in places I have worked, I won't give an opinion of those who look down on them as I don't want to be banned.

Fisher tours of dundee have suspended their scottish Express services from tomorrow until further notice

jkkne

The biggest risk is sickness rates themselves. They reckon at a peak an average of a fifth of the workforce could be off sick or in isolation. That’s where problems will occur for larger businesses and transport operators

I think everyone from cleaners to drivers and even passenger need to be extra vigilant in cleaning. I take some dettol wipes and do a once over on poles , stop button window ledges, seat heads etc as well as in cab area . This takes about 10 mins on top doing the first use checks . Then if I can I’ll try to give another quick wipe at a terminal point . Other drivers I’ve seen doing just the cab and ticket machine .Then you do all that and someone comes on and coughs all over you while trying to find their pass or money . I had this happen and everyone ran to the back of the bus to give the front seats so they not coughing behind them .

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I think everyone from cleaners to drivers and even passenger need to be extra vigilant in cleaning. I take some dettol wipes and do a once over on poles , stop button window ledges, seat heads etc as well as in cab area . This takes about 10 mins on top doing the first use checks . Then if I can I’ll try to give another quick wipe at a terminal point . Other drivers I’ve seen doing just the cab and ticket machine .Then you do all that and someone comes on and coughs all over you while trying to find their pass or money . I had this happen and everyone ran to the back of the bus to give the front seats so they not coughing behind them .
People coughing all over you from the seat behind was not pleasant, even before the current situation.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
As for service cuts, they need to be properly advertised, and then run to that timetable. Reference to TC having to process applications etc seems to be bureaucratic rather than practical. Simple general guidance would be best: an operator needs to give 7 days notice of it's intention to introduce an emergency timetable. That timetable needs to be on their website (and traveline etc) the same 7 days in advance, and available as a printed timetable as soon as possible and certainly before it is introduced.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
As for service cuts, they need to be properly advertised, and then run to that timetable. Reference to TC having to process applications etc seems to be bureaucratic rather than practical. Simple general guidance would be best: an operator needs to give 7 days notice of it's intention to introduce an emergency timetable. That timetable needs to be on their website (and traveline etc) the same 7 days in advance, and available as a printed timetable as soon as possible and certainly before it is introduced.

I'm sure that the DVSA has any revised arrangements in hand but many operators don't now issue printed timetables at all.

delt1c

Established Member
Why has the Westminster been so slow in acting with regards to this. Here in Malta the goverment introduced measures in advance to try and contain and limit the virus before it took a hold. Flights were stopped from Italy, Germany, Spain, France and Switzerland. Then on Friday it was announced everyone entering the country would have a mandatory quarantine of 14 days. On the buses standing has been banned. Last week all large venues were banned. The UK seems to lagging well behind the rest of the world in preparing and dealing with this. Germany is closing borders which are land yet UK flights and international travel continue

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Why has the Westminster been so slow in acting with regards to this. Here in Malta the goverment introduced measures in advance to try and contain and limit the virus before it took a hold. Flights were stopped from Italy, Germany, Spain, France and Switzerland. Then on Friday it was announced everyone entering the country would have a mandatory quarantine of 14 days. On the buses standing has been banned. Last week all large venues were banned. The UK seems to lagging well behind the rest of the world in preparing and dealing with this. Germany is closing borders which are land yet UK flights and international travel continue

If you are in Malta then I guess you didn't see our Press Conference where all this was, very carefully, explained.

borage

Local press article about diminished passenger numbers in an area with a disproportionate number of older people:
Charles Sanders, managing director of Norfolk firm Sanders Coaches, has said he fears the bill of the pandemic's impact on the company will be 'enormous', with Covid-19 already having a visible impact on his business.

He said that February 2020 saw 20,000 fewer senior citizens making use of bus services than 2019 and this downward trend would likely continue in March - with vulnerable people opting not to venture out amid continuing health concerns.

Mr Sanders also said the firm was already losing business from private hiring of its coaches as large events go by the wayside and that he was making contingency plans for any eventuality.

delt1c

Established Member
If you are in Malta then I guess you didn't see our Press Conference where all this was, very carefully, explained.
I follow the BBC news daily. We do have internet and world news here.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I follow the BBC news daily. We do have internet and world news here.

I'm well aware of that, I've spent quite a bit of time in Malta.
.....but, despite that, you still didn't see that lengthy press conference ?

Andyh82

Established Member
The first step would be to change to run a Saturday service through the week. Maybe with early morning extras if there isn’t such a service on a particular route on a Saturday.

Similar to the sort of service that runs 27-30 December

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The first step would be to change to run a Saturday service through the week. Maybe with early morning extras if there isn’t such a service on a particular route on a Saturday.

Similar to the sort of service that runs 27-30 December

Round where I am the Saturday service is very similar to the weekday service on most routes. Somewhere I worked recently had a half hourly service 0600-1900 Monday to Friday but no service on a Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.