• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses and the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Oh and Sunday service on routes 23, 93, 98 and 270 are also being withdrawn. This leaves Horsham (where I live) with only 24/7 route 200 in operation on Sundays, unless if Sussex Coaches are also going to run their Sunday 17 which seems extremely unlikely.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class195

First Bradford are moving to 20 minutes (currently 15 minutes/Sunday service) on all routes from Monday.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Every 80 minutes has to be one of the most bizarre frequencies I’ve ever seen.
Stagecoach South are running a good one on their normaly hourly route 10 between Farnborough and Church Crookham - every 140 mins! Near hour-long turnarounds at the Farnboorugh end to facilitate offering three return trips on circular route 9 (normally hourly between school runs, with a gap for a driver break at lunchtime).

One bit of positive news is Falcon Buses' route 461 between Kingston and Addlestone, in Surrey. Normally running every 30 mins, it was extended westwards to offer a direct link to St Peter's Hospital (brought forward from May), but dropped to just every two hours. It is now rising back up to hourly.

Andyh82

Established Member
First Bradford are moving to 20 minutes (currently 15 minutes/Sunday service) on all routes from Monday.
What do you mean currently 15,moving to 20?
Many routes are not operated to that frequency

PG

Established Member
I wonder if the latest government announcement will mean that routes which have had drastic frequency cuts over the last two to three weeks will have improved frequencies soon
Not a chance!

The government money is helping companies survive so that they are there once the situation improves to restore services. It isn't enough to fund additional journeys which don't even come close to covering their costs.

Class195

What do you mean currently 15, moving to 20?
Many routes are not operated to that frequency

The 15-minute gap is the Sunday service, so from Monday they are going to lose a few services and go to a 20-minute gap.

The main routes are what used to be the colour lined services so there's quite a few.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The 15-minute gap is the Sunday service, so from Monday they are going to lose a few services and go to a 20-minute gap.

The main routes are what used to be the colour lined services so there's quite a few.
I can't think of any Bradford routes that have as a good a service as every 15 minutes on a Sunday. The 72 is usually every 20 minutes.

Class195

I can't think of any Bradford routes that have as a good a service as every 15 minutes on a Sunday. The 72 is usually every 20 minutes.

Check the colour routes like the 640/641, 645 etc...

Going to 20 minutes from Monday.

The loadings are still justifiable if these services during the morning and day/early evening.

After 7:00pm they’ve been dead.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Check the colour routes like the 640/641, 645 etc...

Going to 20 minutes from Monday.

I'm not saying they're not going to be every 20 minutes. I'm saying that's not worse than a normal Sunday service.

The 640/641 runs every 30 minutes on a Sunday. The 645 runs every 20.

Sir Hateley

I'm here in Salisbury as a bus driver and a new timetable starts today, slightly less than 50% of normal. This is being matched by how many drivers have been asked to furlough. For the remainder of us that have opted to work there is sense of astonishment that the promised screens for the drivers are not fitted despite management claims that they are on all operational vehicles. They're not.

PG

Established Member
I'm here in Salisbury as a bus driver and a new timetable starts today, slightly less than 50% of normal. This is being matched by how many drivers have been asked to furlough. For the remainder of us that have opted to work there is sense of astonishment that the promised screens for the drivers are not fitted despite management claims that they are on all operational vehicles. They're not.
Are you in a union?
Even if you're not I'm sure the union would be looking to get this addressed immediately.

Why does this not surprise me? I wouldn't touch a bus like that with a badge pole, drivers need to stand their ground.

Still seeing Arriva North East claiming drivers have access to hand gel etc, they don't.still handling cash and giving out change.

Lack of toilet and rest facilities is a problem too, most rest areas are tiny box rooms to save money.

dgl

Established Member
More updates from First in Dorset, correct as of Sunday the 5th of May
https://www.firstgroup.com/wessex-d...dates/coronavirus-covid19-service-information

• 1, Portland to Weymouth, busses running at 30min intervals with the first bus to Portland being the 04:48 and the last being at 22:15. First bus to Weymouth at 05:22 and the last one being the 22:52

• 2, Littlemoor to Weymouth, First bus to Littlemoor at 05:45 with buses running every half an hour until 17:45 where it changes to every 45 mins, the last bus to Littlemoor being at 22:15, buses from Littlemoor start at 06:04 and follow the same pattern changing to every 45 mins at 18:04 with the last bus back to Weymouth at 22:32
  • 4, Preston to Weymouth, A very limited service with buses to Weymouth leaving Seven Acres Road at 09:42, 11:14, 12:44, 15:14, 16:44. Buses from Weymouth leave at 09:30, 11:00, 12:30, 15:00 16:30.
  • 8, Chickerell to Weymouth, A very limited service with buses to Weymouth at 08:56, 10:26, 11:56, 14:26 and 15:56. Buses from Weymouth leave at 10:00, 11:30, 14:00, 15:30. All number 8 services terminate/start at Kings Statue rather than Debenhams but on the outward journey will still stop at Debenhams.
  • 10, Weymouth to Dorchester/Poundbury, again every 30mins until the 18:00 to Dorchester/Poundbury and the 18:31 back where it reverts to hourly. First bus to Dorchester/Poundbury at 06:00 and last bus at 21:05. First bus back from Poundbury at 06:33 and the last one at 21:35 (that's 21:38 at the hospital)
  • X51, Bridport/Axminster to Dorchester, again a very limited service with the first bus from bridport only at 7:25 and Axminster at 10:30 and 15:40 (11:22 and 16:32 at Bridport). Buses from Dorchester to Axminster at 08:20 and 13:20 with the last bus at 17:30 only going as far as Bridport
No other services will run!

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
Why does this not surprise me? I wouldn't touch a bus like that with a badge pole, drivers need to stand their ground.

Still seeing Arriva North East claiming drivers have access to hand gel etc, they don't.still handling cash and giving out change.

Lack of toilet and rest facilities is a problem too, most rest areas are tiny box rooms to save money.
TBH in those circumstances I'd be tempted to say free bus, grab a seat just to avoid unnecessary contact.
I'm sure management would have a fit but what do you value more - your health or your boss?

dgl

Established Member
TBH in those circumstances I'd be tempted to say free bus, grab a seat just to avoid unnecessary contact.
I'm sure management would have a fit but what do you value more - your health or your boss?
Yes, hit them where it really hurts, their pockets.
Frankly if employees are not given the protective equipment needed to stay safe at work then they shouldn't be working, I imagine the HSE would be very interested if people aren't being properly protected at work from coronavirus.

They haven't got enough ppe for the health workers, transport workers won't be getting it before them.

Management would jump at the chance to sack you.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To me, with reduced service in London, it would still make a lot of sense to move two-doored London buses to the provinces temporarily so the driver's area and front door can be sealed off.

Failing that, getting in a load of charity style cashboxes and moving to exact change only if paying cash would also be sensible, then the driver does not have to handle it at all.

Mikey C

Established Member
To me, with reduced service in London, it would still make a lot of sense to move two-doored London buses to the provinces temporarily so the driver's area and front door can be sealed off.

Failing that, getting in a load of charity style cashboxes and moving to exact change only if paying cash would also be sensible, then the driver does not have to handle it at all.

Few people pay with cash now anyway, I assume, or HAVE to pay with cash, seeing that most bus operators accept contactless and pensioners will have their OAP passes

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Few people pay with cash now anyway, I assume, or HAVE to pay with cash, seeing that most bus operators accept contactless and pensioners will have their OAP passes

True.

I'd go with a similar line to the trains.

Can you pay on your phone without overpaying? If so use that.
If you can't, use contactless (or your pass if you have one)
Only if you still can't, use cash

Though bus passengers are probably disproportionately represented in the number of people who only use cash.

FWIW it's well known here that I'm anti cash, but in this sort of situation I would support the other way round too - in a hypothetical emergency where using cash was the safest option, I would support that over card. It's more about greater good than personal preferences at this time.

I would say in the area I am used to, Newcastle, with the exception of pensioners around half of all passengers use cash, kids have no choice and some of them still need to travel.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I would say in the area I am used to, Newcastle, with the exception of pensioners around half of all passengers use cash, kids have no choice and some of them still need to travel.

In my area Transdev lets me buy a ticket on my phone and transfer it to a child's phone.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Prentice Coaches - who run the council contract from East Lothian to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary - have announced free travel for NHS workers on the route. A fabulous gesture from them, I really hope they survive this as they are a great company.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...9783&id=202360753156339&anchor_composer=false
Free Travel for NHS Workers

In recognition of the outstanding work being carried out by the NHS at this time from 1st April all NHS workers can travel FREE on our 111 route until further notice.
Staff simply need to show your NHS ID to the driver when you board

londonbridge

Established Member
Sadiq Khan saying TFL are considering making bus passengers board through the middle doors rather than the front in order to reduce contact with drivers....okay, but then the passenger will still have to approach the drivers area in order to touch in with an oyster/bank card or show the driver their paper travelcard.....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sadiq Khan saying TFL are considering making bus passengers board through the middle doors rather than the front in order to reduce contact with drivers....okay, but then the passenger will still have to approach the drivers area in order to touch in with an oyster/bank card or show the driver their paper travelcard.....

If this is on Borismasters I don't believe the middle and rear door touch pads have been removed yet.

My mate who drives for TFL says apart from behind very quiet in the touristy areas London is much the same as normal, numerous people ignoring distancing rules and just pootling about at will, going for picnics for example.

Mikey C

Established Member
I can only go from what I see in my area, but all the off peak buses I've seen have all been virtually empty, certainly no obvious signs of "pleasure travel"

Status
Not open for further replies.