• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses and the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I get the impression that Cardiff Bus is leaving it up to the passengers to decide for themselves how full the bus can get. If some one doesn't want to get on because the bus is too full, that's up to them. Anyone already on board has the option of getting off if they want to. There were a few people in consecutive rows today, no one seemed bothered by this. The real test will be next week when the shops open.
Shame that other operators don't adopt this policy, it works much better imo! Unfortunately the Twitter teams would be inundated with "you're putting lives at risk" messages, probably from people not even on the bus.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
Shame that other operators don't adopt this policy, it works much better imo! Unfortunately the Twitter teams would be inundated with "you're putting lives at risk" messages, probably from people not even on the bus.
Yes, I'd be grateful if all bus companies had the same idea as Cardiff buses, just let the passengers decide things for themselves.
I get the impression that Cardiff Bus is leaving it up to the passengers to decide for themselves how full the bus can get. If some one doesn't want to get on because the bus is too full, that's up to them. Anyone already on board has the option of getting off if they want to. There were a few people in consecutive rows today, no one seemed bothered by this. The real test will be next week when the shops open.
Indeed but I guess if anyone does get off mid-journey who doesn't have a day (or longer) ticket then they'd have to pay again on the next bus.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Yes, I'd be grateful if all bus companies had the same idea as Cardiff buses, just let the passengers decide things for themselves.

Indeed but I guess if anyone does get off mid-journey who doesn't have a day (or longer) ticket then they'd have to pay again on the next bus.
That's a fair point although anyone planning to make a return journey in Cardiff will probably have an all day ticket. The mobile app has a 10 single journey ticket. You have to board the bus within 30 mins of activating the ticket. I'm sure that if they ran out of time but explained that the previous bus was too full, they would be allowed on. I don't think this will happen very often. Will anyone that is seriously at risk, or just nervous, go near a bus in the first place?

route101

Established Member
That's a fair point although anyone planning to make a return journey in Cardiff will probably have an all day ticket. The mobile app has a 10 single journey ticket. You have to board the bus within 30 mins of activating the ticket. I'm sure that if they ran out of time but explained that the previous bus was too full, they would be allowed on. I don't think this will happen very often. Will anyone that is seriously at risk, or just nervous, go near a bus in the first place?

I think Ensignbus stated that if you decided to get off mid journey , you can get the next bus with your ticket.

adc82140

Established Member
Salisbury Reds (Go Ahead group) is encouraging those who cannot wear a face covering to download the exemption card. However they are requiring a name and reason to be written on it to present to "our drivers or other passengers". I can't begin to describe what's wrong with that.

PG

Established Member
Salisbury Reds (Go Ahead group) is encouraging those who cannot wear a face covering to download the exemption card. However they are requiring a name and reason to be written on it to present to "our drivers or other passengers". I can't begin to describe what's wrong with that.
If I was a bus driver there I certainly wouldn't think it's any of my business, never mind other passengers, to know the specifics of why any individual can't wear a face covering.

After all does a disabled persons railcard specify why they qualify for one...

anthony263

Established Member
Adventure travel are beginning to increase services due to an increase in demand with shops reopening.

I'm helping out today driving the 320/321 Cardiff-Talbot green - Llantwit major service

anthony263

Established Member
Adventure travel are looking at further increases of bus services in South Wales the 304 Cardiff to Llabtwit Major is getting particularly busy same with the 102/106 & 112 services around pontypridd. With rail replacement on Sundays from August with early finishes of train services I cannot see the late trip I fo on a Sunday night from Pontypridd to Blaencwm getting busier

317 forever

Established Member
In London there is a restriction of around 20 passengers on double-decks, 10 on single-decks and 7 on minibuses.

I noticed examples of 9.3 metre and 10.8 metre Enviro 200s both having limits of 10 despite the different lengths. It was quite considerate of HCT to put a 9.6 metre Enviro 200 - MMC on route 309 in place of a Solo, as this facilitated up to 3 extra passengers if it got busy.

Last edited by a moderator:

hassaanhc

Established Member
In London there is a restriction of around 20 passengers on double-decks, 10 on single-decks and 7 on minibuses.

I noticed examples of 9.3 metre and 10.8 metre Enviro 200s both having limits of 10 despite the different lengths. It was quite considerate of HCT to put a 9.6 metre Enviro 200 - MMC on route 309 in place of a Solo, as this facilitated up to 3 extra passengers if it got busy.
The single deck capacity depends on the number of doors. Dual door ones have a capacity of 10, and single door ones have a capacity of 8. As the 309 uses dual door Solos, there shouldn't be a difference in capacity with the similar length MMCs that also appear on it.

The single deck capacity being based on number of doors only means that even the long 12m buses found on the 108, 203, 358, 507 and 521 have a capacity of 10!

Enthusiast

The single deck capacity being based on number of doors only means that even the long 12m buses found on the 108, 203, 358, 507 and 521 have a capacity of 10!
Which of course is utter madness. Should the schools ever go back to teaching their pupils there will be chaos where I live. A number of schools chuck out at about the same time and on one route it takes 3 double deckers (normal capacity about 80) to clear the queue. If the schools were currently operating it would take twelve. The service frequency is about every ten minutes, so that means the last pupils will be cleared in two hours. During that time, of course, one or two other people may have joined the queue (well, in fact, it's normally a melee).

anthony263

Established Member
Adventure travel do the late evening trip on Sundays on service 130 pontypridd to Blaencwm via Porth Tonypandy and Treorchy. Used to be busy pre lockdown but went dead quiet yet the last 2 Sundays I've done it and passengers starting to come back. Would help if stagecoach would start running su day daytime services again

anthony263

Established Member
I've noticed buses are starting to get people co.ing back in pontypridd and Cardiff but I think companies are going to have to work hard to win others back.

johnnychips

Established Member
Which of course is utter madness. Should the schools ever go back to teaching their pupils there will be chaos where I live. A number of schools chuck out at about the same time and on one route it takes 3 double deckers (normal capacity about 80) to clear the queue. If the schools were currently operating it would take twelve. The service frequency is about every ten minutes, so that means the last pupils will be cleared in two hours. During that time, of course, one or two other people may have joined the queue (well, in fact, it's normally a melee).
Yes, this is quite an elephant in the room! On my morning commute, two big schools’ students use a mixture of special and service buses and all are packed out between half-seven and eight.

AdamWW

Established Member
I've noticed buses are starting to get people co.ing back in pontypridd and Cardiff but I think companies are going to have to work hard to win others back.

They might do better once they've stopped telling people to stay at home if their journey isn't essential.

So far as I can see the Welsh Government advice is now that public transport is available to all, but the operators I've looked at haven't been taking that line.

I would imagine that most "winning back" would be getting people to be happy to travel as opposed to stay at home, because I suspect the majority of passengers are on buses round here because they don't have an alternative.

WM Bus

National Express West Midlands will be operating a full pre - COVID timetable from the 5th July according to their website.

28 (Heartlands Hospital to Great Barr), 65 and 67 are remaining at the current every 15 minutes, rather to a pre - COVID every 12 minutes, so seemingly an exception to this.

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
National Express West Midlands will be operating a full pre - COVID timetable from the 5th July according to their website.

It does seem like there has been one casualty - the 54 north of i54 has been withdrawn due to lack of funding from the business park (demand will be right down I imagine). This removes the link between Stafford and Wolverhampton - a shame because I had planned to do that journey at some point!

duncanp

Established Member
28 (Heartlands Hospital to Great Barr), 65 and 67 are remaining at the current every 15 minutes, rather to a pre - COVID every 12 minutes, so seemingly an exception to this.

Same with the 82 (Bearwood - Cape Hill - Dudley Road - Birmingham) which is still every 12 minutes, rather than every 10 minutes as it was pre - COVID.

Do make sure they haven't uploaded the incorrect timetable, as when I looked at the 13/13A (Blackheath/Oldbury - Bearwood - Birmingham) I discovered that the Sunday service had been withdrawn completely. A quick phone call to NXWM established that this was a mistake, and the correct timetable has now been uploaded.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
In South Yorkshire there a a number of services that were suspended during Covid that will not be reintroduced:

Barnsley 93a, X2, X20
Doncaster 14, 70, 86, 86a, X6, X20
Rotherham X2, X6, X7
Sheffield 51a, X6, X7

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It does seem like there has been one casualty - the 54 north of i54 has been withdrawn due to lack of funding from the business park (demand will be right down I imagine). This removes the link between Stafford and Wolverhampton - a shame because I had planned to do that journey at some point!

So anybody wanting to do Stafford to Wolverhampton has to do it by train or change buses? The trains on that route aren't the best under normal circumstances - XC and LM/LNWR can only get away with doubling up atm because of reduced frequencies.

Non Multi

Having travelled on a bus for the first time since coverings were made mandatory, I have literally no idea how those in the Far East put up with wearing them all the time. A 40 minute round trip was a depressing, uncomfortable experience I don't want to repeat any time soon.

AdamWW

Established Member
Just seen this on the First Leeds web site:

"Essential travel
The government advice is to considering (sic) other forms of transport before using public transport and to travel safely. People intending to travel should check the appropriate government advice for the region of the UK they live in.

There are currently no restrictions on passenger type and everyone is welcome on our buses if their journey is necessary, they follow government and First Bus guidance, and they are not feeling unwell. Anyone who is suffering from coronavirus symptoms including a persistent cough or high temperature, should not travel, and should follow public health guidelines.

With operators and customers working together we will provide a bus network, for those who need it, that is safe and allows everyone to complete their essential journeys."

(My underlining)

So somehow they appear to have intepreted "consider other forms of transport" to mean that if you can't travel any other way and you don't absolutely have to travel, you should just stay at home for the indefinite future. I don't think that's what the government had in mind.

So you can use National Express to travel if you like, but you're not welcome on the bus into town to get to the coach station unless you absolutely have to make the journey.

(Or could I argue that given I'm going to travel with National Express and it's too far to walk to the coach station, the bus there is essential?)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Just seen this on the First Leeds web site:

"
Essential travel
The government advice is to considering (sic) other forms of transport before using public transport and to travel safely. People intending to travel should check the appropriate government advice for the region of the UK they live in.

There are currently no restrictions on passenger type and everyone is welcome on our buses if their journey is necessary, they follow government and First Bus guidance, and they are not feeling unwell. Anyone who is suffering from coronavirus symptoms including a persistent cough or high temperature, should not travel, and should follow public health guidelines.

With operators and customers working together we will provide a bus network, for those who need it, that is safe and allows everyone to complete their essential journeys."

(My underlining)

So somehow they appear to have intepreted "consider other forms of transport" to mean that if you can't travel any other way and you don't absolutely have to travel, you should just stay at home for the indefinite future. I don't think that's what the government had in mind.

So you can use National Express to travel if you like, but you're not welcome on the bus into town to get to the coach station unless you absolutely have to make the journey.

(Or could I argue that given I'm going to travel with National Express and it's too far to walk to the coach station, the bus there is essential?)
The First comment on 'anybody can travel for necessary journeys' has been there for a while. They clearly still wish to deter journeys which are 'not necessary' journeys.

As I live within walking distance of a large supermarket, few of my bus journeys were 'necessary'.

They will change their tune when the funding tap is turned off. Or more likely, they will drastically reduce services because 'no-one is using them' which translates as 'you did as you were told, now you lose your services because you did so'. Can't win, Amazon delivered twice to my house one day last week!

AdamWW

Established Member
The First comment on 'anybody can travel for necessary journeys' has been there for a while. They clearly still wish to deter journeys which are 'not necessary' journeys.

As I live within walking distance of a large supermarket, few of my bus journeys were 'necessary'.

They will change their tune when the funding tap is turned off. Or more likely, they will drastically reduce services because 'no-one is using them' which translates as 'you did as you were told, now you lose your services because you did so'. Can't win, Amazon delivered twice to my house one day last week!

Indeed.

Rather like the suggestion from the Welsh Transport minister that to permit "non essential" travel we should prioritise key workers and the disabled on public transport.

So...you did what we used to say we wanted and went everywhere by public transport...now we're saying that because you could have learnt to drive and bought a car and didn't you shouldn't expect to use the public transport you've been supporting for years. (Of course that also isn't very nice to people who are able bodied but can't afford a car either).

Was happy to see this tweet by Konectbus.

Heading into Dereham this weekend? Jump on board with us. With two *** NEW*** later journeys now leaving Swanton Morley at 18.05pm and 18.45pm, it's the perfect way to revisit the pubs and restaurants as the reopen this weekend

carlberry

Established Member
This isnt to do with Covid however, the service was only extended because of funding as part of the planning permission for the business park. Now it's finished the service is cut back. Select bus services still run between Stafford and Wolverhampton as before.

317 forever

Established Member

It represents the phrase Use it or lose it replaced by Don't use it and lose it anyway :'(

Conversely, nearby East Yorkshire, a fellow Go-Ahead subsidiary like KonectBus, are returning to normal on Sunday. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.