• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses in the Aberdeen area taking bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A couple of years ago, we were most pleasantly surprised to see that many of the buses between Aberdeen area took cycles. We took advantage of this by having our bikes carried between Ellon & Peterhead and, the next day, between Fraserburgh and Mintlaw. The rest of the journey we cycled.

I'm interested in cycling from Aberdeen to Banchory, but I'm not sure we want to (or have time to) cycle there and back, so was wondering if there are any buses between Aberdeen and Banchory would take bikes too. Does anyone on here know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A couple of years ago, we were most pleasantly surprised to see that many of the buses between Aberdeen area took cycles. We took advantage of this by having our bikes carried between Ellon & Peterhead and, the next day, between Fraserburgh and Mintlaw. The rest of the journey we cycled.

I'm interested in cycling from Aberdeen to Banchory, but I'm not sure we want to (or have time to) cycle there and back, so was wondering if there are any buses between Aberdeen and Banchory would take bikes too. Does anyone on here know?

Well the routes in questin are stagecoach bluebird opperated, as your run to Peterhead would have been. The difference here is I think Banchory may be a service bus route, where as I think the peterhead etc stuff is coach worked. ↲ ↲
Id give them a call as should a service bus, most likely a MAN or ADL Inviro E300 turn up I doubt youd get on where as the runs to Peterhead and points that way are I think Volvo Plaxton Panther Coaches with luggage lockers. For refference also Aberdeen Left Luggage are excillent with Cyclists wishing to leav there machines for a bit whilst there owners go for dinner etc, even sleaper Pax. The 170 opperated Scotrail services to and from dont have many bikers but do get wedged esp Glasgow trains. Finally if your overnighting and want to sleap dont book the Travelodge just up from the station at Bridge Street, v noizy. The one at Justice Mill is not only nicer but quieter. Hope this helps, would be happy to assist further.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Great, thanks to both of you for your replies.

Any idea how many bikes they accept?

I'm thinking we could perhaps take the 0710 Leeds - Aberdeen HST, arriving 1257, and then 1315 / 1345 bus, arriving 1414/1446ish.

We'd then cycle back to Aberdeen, say 2 hours, arriving by 5pm. Then a meal in Aberdeen, and finish with the 2012 to Inverness, stay overnight there, and then the Chieftain back.

Alternatively, a stop could be made at Keith, if the Keith & Dufftown Railway do any evening trips? (this would be in Spring/Summer!)

Ben.A.98

Alternatively, a stop could be made at Keith, if the Keith & Dufftown Railway do any evening trips? (this would be in Spring/Summer!)

At the moment we don't usually do evening trips unless its a charter or one of our special nights eg. Pie + Pint.

Liam

Established Member
Great, thanks to both of you for your replies.

Any idea how many bikes they accept?

I'm thinking we could perhaps take the 0710 Leeds - Aberdeen HST, arriving 1257, and then 1315 / 1345 bus, arriving 1414/1446ish.

We'd then cycle back to Aberdeen, say 2 hours, arriving by 5pm. Then a meal in Aberdeen, and finish with the 2012 to Inverness, stay overnight there, and then the Chieftain back.

I'm not sure, try emailing or phoning them. Unfortunately Bluebird don't have a Twitter account.

Volvodart

Established Member
The daytime Monday to Saturday service from Aberdeen to Banchory has recently been reduced from 3 to 2 buses an hour. These are usually Profile coaches, but ALX300 MAN and Enviro300 buses are also appearing on both the short workings and also the longer workings to Ballater.

Status
Not open for further replies.