• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses to be fitted with wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

As you may know there have been a number of buses that have been recently fitted with wifi. I've noticed this on the Stagecoach services 40 and 41 and I think 125/126. Does anyone know why these are, when they were fitted with wifi, who was responsible (at least one 125 driver is a millionaire) and any other facts?
What other buses are to be fitted with wifi? I'd be interested to know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
When I was in Oxford a few years ago, the Stagecoach buses I went on then had WiFi fitted. Also, the new buses that came last year to Stafford/Stoke on the X1 Baker Bus route also had it from new.

exile

Established Member
Some of the inter-city coaches in Estonia not only have wifi but a computer at each seat.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Noticed last week in Glasgow that a lot of the First fleet there had wifi stickers.

In Cambridge, as yet only the Stagecoach Guided Busway fleet and the X5 have it.

It does seem to be becoming pretty common- I reckon we'll start to see it as standard on new buses

ushawk

Established Member
The Route 6 in Brighton was recently fitted with wi-fi with a couple of other vehicles fitted which pop up on any route.

Established Member
Liverpool Airport-South Parkway has had it for a while.

tbone

Trent Barton have wifi witted on:

Red Arrow
Skylink Nottingham
Skylink Derby Leicester
Xprss
X38

It's also fitted to spare bus 726 which operates Red Arrow and X38 regularly

radamfi

Established Member
Stagecoach Manchester bus 192 is about to get new hybrids with wi-fi.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As you may know there have been a number of buses that have been recently fitted with wifi. I've noticed this on the Stagecoach services 40 and 41 and I think 125/126. Does anyone know why these are, when they were fitted with wifi, who was responsible (at least one 125 driver is a millionaire) and any other facts?

Are these Preston routes you're talking about?

My mum's reported using Wifi on the Cumbria 555.

MCR247

Established Member
Trent Barton have wifi witted on:

Red Arrow
Skylink Nottingham
Skylink Derby Leicester
Xprss
X38

It's also fitted to spare bus 726 which operates Red Arrow and X38 regularly

I was wondering why 726 was fitted. I had it on the villager a month or so ago when all of the solars bar one were out of use!

I find its more common to see a solar on the Red Arrow than 726, but thats only in my experience

Lrd

Established Member
All First and Bluestar (and guessing Wilts & Dorset) have Wi-Fi down here.

burns20

Stagecoach services 2 and 2A (University-City-Morecambe-Heysham) are the routes in Lancaster with dedicated WiFi buses, these do often stray to services 40/41 (Preston) and 42 (Blackpool).

BuhSnarf

Apparently the X3 by Arriva midlands has it...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

anthony263

Established Member
The optare Tempo's used on the Trawscymru network are supposed to be fitted with
Wi-fi and will be fitted if they havent already.

Also the new Scania Saloons ordered for Trawscymru service X63 Swansea - Brecon are going to be fitted with Wi-fi from the start.

Stagecoach south wales already have Wifi on service X4 Cardiff - Merthyr Tydfil - Brynmawr - Abergavenny - Hereford & X3/X33 Cardiff - Pontypool/Abergavenny.

There is big plan by stagecoach south wales to fit the majority of the fleet with wi-fi including the new vehicles being ordered for service 120/130 Blynrhondda/Treherbert - Porth - Pontypridd - Caerphilly and service 172/172 Aberdare - Tonypandy - Bridgend - Porthcawl

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A friend at work has recently been waxing lyrical about the free wifi on some of the buses in Leeds. I wonder, will Northern have to start fitting it to Pacers etc to keep up with the opposition ?

tbone

I was wondering why 726 was fitted. I had it on the villager a month or so ago when all of the solars bar one were out of use!

I find its more common to see a solar on the Red Arrow than 726, but thats only in my experience

In theory 726 and 727 should be second and third spares for Red Arrow (after 62 which is a dedicated spare) but that can't always happen, most days there is at least one volvo on there.

Villager Solars seem less reliable than all of the others, not really sure why!

MCR247

Established Member
Oh ok. Thanks :)

I don't use the Villager very often so I can't really comment, but maybe it is due to the type of route compared to the other routes the exR5 solars ended up on?

GNER 91128

I would quite like my local service to have wifi as it takes me longer to get to work across Peterborough than it does to get an EC train to London!

jonesy3001

Established Member

The wifi buses that you see on the 40/41 might be the wifi buses they use on the 2/2A (Heysham-Lancaster uni) that sometime stray on to the preston service if there is no available scania's.

Lrd

Established Member
I meant in Southampton and surrounding areas.

VTPreston_Tez

I meant in Southampton and surrounding areas.

Fair enough. I think it's safe for us all to say though that the two aforementioned services plus the similar 253 and 753 services (provided they still operate) really do need wifi. I'd go into detail about what else the X53 needs but this thread isn't the one for that :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.