• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buses v Trains: The Real Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Both forms of public transport have their good and bad points. I travel by train to swansea every day which is cheaper than catching the bus, however in januray bus fares have been drecreased so i will be catching the bus.

Buses also have an advatage in that they can be easily diverted, unless you have a double decker and you try to get down a route with a low bridge (First cymru, take note!!!)

In terms of comfort trains will mostly come out on top unless u are comparing a dennis dart with a pacer in which the dart would win hands down.

so really you cannot say which one is better as we all have our opinions although i do prefers a loco hauled train to a bus unless you have a leyland lynz/national

Bayum

Established Member
The Magic Roundabout scares me....

But, imagine if that did happen. No busses were allowed on routes that competed with trains!

Death

Established Member
In terms of comfort trains will mostly come out on top unless u are comparing a dennis dart with a pacer in which the dart would win hands down.
I must admit that I prefer trains to buses...The former are heavier, faster, and manage to cover longer distances in much less time. 8)
On the other hand though, there's a lot more fun to be had if ever someone managed to build a twin-engined, turbocharged AGG 300 with a nice 'n' relaxed top end of about 600mph - And then run it on express routes along the M1 at full-thrash...Now that's the one kind of bus I'd choose over a 390 anyday! :shock::D<D

Of course...One can always have the best worst of both Worlds and choose a Pacer. Although it's intended as a rail vehicle, it's basically two Leyland buses sticky-taped together - And represents the pinnacle of budget unit design by BR! :razz:

Phoenix

Established Member
I love the "no wonder she was nationalised" pretty much bdefinatly not the case!!
But loved the program when I was little.

Status
Not open for further replies.