• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Busy single platform stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAPS2034

As Croydon Tramlink has been mentioned, Manchester Metrolink has a few single platforms with frequent tram services. Navigation Road, Newton Heath and Eccles (the latter a terminus) come to mind. In the case of Navigation Road, in normal times there will be trams every 6 minutes in each direction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plugwash

Established Member
That raises the other question of where one draws the line between a single station served by multiple transport operators and two separate stations near each other. I would consider Navigation road to be the former while I would consider Eccles to be the latter.

Wikipedia seems to have some figures for usage of metrolink stations but they seem to be "daily borders and alighters surveyed", so it's not obvious how comparable they are to the DFT figures for rail stations. If we multiply them by 250 (roughly the number of weekdays in a year) then we get about 0.7 million for eccles and about 0.3 million for Newton Heath.

Wikipedia quotes tower gateway as 4 million, but as I mentioned earlier whether it counts depends on the exact defintion of "platform" you use.

johntea

Established Member
Castleford?

Indeed...then Covid came along! (Source : Wikipedia)

Also in the process of knocking up 'Platform 2' again - wonder how many other single platform stations have had another platform added or bought back into use

2016/17
Increase
0.599 million
Interchange
Decrease
2017/18
Decrease
0.579 million
Interchange
Decrease
2018/19
Decrease
0.539 million
Interchange
Decrease
2019/20
Steady
0.539 million
Interchange
Increase
2020/21
Decrease
0.121 million
Interchange
Decrease

mike57

Established Member
! tph each way, when TPE are not in meltdown. Well used but not busy I would suggest most of the time, two occasions I've seen it really busy is during the Malton Food and Drink festival, which is usually one weekend a year, and going back a few years the day the Tour de France was starting in York.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
While not that busy by passenger levels, Penarth is rather busy in terms of services for a single platform as it gets four trains an hour from Bargoed/Rhymney, when TfW haven’t cancelled them all…

Whisky Papa

While not that busy by passenger levels, Penarth is rather busy in terms of services for a single platform as it gets four trains an hour from Bargoed/Rhymney, when TfW haven’t cancelled them all…
Glossop also manages 4tph off-peak in normal circumstance - 2 tph to Piccadilly and 2 tph to Hadfield. Oddly, the normal peak service only had 3tph (to Piccadilly am, Hadfield pm), I suspect this must be a rare example of a station with less departures at peak times?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Glossop also manages 4tph off-peak in normal circumstance - 2 tph to Piccadilly and 2 tph to Hadfield. Oddly, the normal peak service only had 3tph (to Piccadilly am, Hadfield pm), I suspect this must be a rare example of a station with less departures at peak times?
Though that's not the whole story- the 4tph off-peak is both directions, so 2tph per direction. The peak 3tph used the triangle (Dinting/Hadfield/Glossop) as a one-way system in order to boost overall capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.