• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Butler's Secret - Special Reserve"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

...at least that's the name on the small box that now comprises the slightly improved Virgin first-class weekend catering.

I couldn't see any other mention of it on here, so thought I'd post. Was offered this box on the COV-EUS and return trains this weekend.

Instead of the previous offering of a couple of biscuits and a packet of crisps, this new box -- 3.5cm x 8cm x 10cm -- contains:

2 Jacob's table crackers
1 small packet of pretzels
1 Speculoos biscuit
1 traditional flapjack
1 Valrhona dark chocolate stick
1 Kiri cheese spread
1 plastic spatula and napkin

As I hate the really fatty kettle crisps they used to serve, I rather like the change. Would be nice if the advertised fresh fruit would also make an appearance occasionally.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MKB

It's a small biscotti-style biscuit. Very tasty in fact.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Speculoos biscuit
That sounds just awful. Are you sure you've got the name right?

It conjures up the image of some kind of broad fitting high roughage suppository.
I assumed it was a misspelling of specious biscuit. (i.e. something presumably purporting to be a biscuit but without much supportive evidence or affirming claims that it is actually a biscuit.)

It's interestng to analyse the waste that follows from pre-assembled packages contaning items which passengers don't eat. We can assume that the cost of the waste is less than the cost of staff* who serve only the requested items. That really helps to put a value on the produce!

(*staff cost will include the costs of shore staff, real estate, equipment, etc.)

SS4

Established Member
Does this mean no more rekorderling :cry:

Are the pretzels the Penn State ones? If so are they the delicious cheese and onion?

Asian Demon

Does this mean no more rekorderling :cry:

Are the pretzels the Penn State ones? If so are they the delicious cheese and onion?

Weekdays and alcohol is still the same. This box is only on the weekend and is only when they have it in stock. When not in stock it will be substituted with crisps and biscuits and on the odd occasions (mornings), with pastries. It seems popular enough and this isn't the only variant of the box. Another one has:

1 Red Leicester cheese
1 Cheddar cheese
2 Jacob's table crackers
1 Deans Shortbread

MKB

Penn State sour cream and chive flavour. Nice, but make your breath stink!

Good to hear that there are variations on the new box.

rail-britain

Established Member
Would be nice if the advertised fresh fruit would also make an appearance occasionally.
At weekends, I have had to make my way to the shop to obtain the fresh fruit
Never had any problem either and usually get advised to take two or three

Lad Brookes

Weekdays and alcohol is still the same. This box is only on the weekend and is only when they have it in stock. When not in stock it will be substituted with crisps and biscuits and on the odd occasions (mornings), with pastries. It seems popular enough and this isn't the only variant of the box. Another one has:

1 Red Leicester cheese
1 Cheddar cheese
2 Jacob's table crackers
1 Deans Shortbread

The spatula and napkin sounds like the tastiest item in there!:D

chuckles1066

...at least that's the name on the small box that now comprises the slightly improved Virgin first-class weekend catering.

I couldn't see any other mention of it on here, so thought I'd post. Was offered this box on the COV-EUS and return trains this weekend.

Instead of the previous offering of a couple of biscuits and a packet of crisps, this new box -- 3.5cm x 8cm x 10cm -- contains:

2 Jacob's table crackers
1 small packet of pretzels
1 Speculoos biscuit
1 traditional flapjack
1 Kiri cheese spread

As I hate the really fatty kettle crisps they used to serve, I rather like the change. Would be nice if the advertised fresh fruit would also make an appearance occasionally.

Remind me how much of a premium first class passengers pay?

Must be why the carriages are always empty....... :roll:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Remind me how much of a premium first class passengers pay?

Must be why the carriages are always empty....... :roll:

Sunday is the busiest day for Virgin West Coast services, I can assure 1st Class carriages are suitably busy, especially with the £15 upgrade and relaxed restrictions on Open tickets. On weekdays the offer is different, as well as 1st being quieter.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There you go, I corrected your typo for you.

Maybe out your way on God's Wonderful, but I can assure you that on Sundays in particular, VWC is very busy in 1st: I have known Anglo-Scotland services to have had less than 10 free seats in First Class leaving London on Sundays. By no stretch of the imagination whatsoever is First empty on weekends, the upgrades more than compensate for the loss of midweek customers.

neilmc

There is of course a large stock of "Secret - special reserve" cheese stored in a box in ... err ... Box tunnel.

This to ensure that vital First Class passengers can still be fed with radiation-free cheese on Virgin trains in the event of a nuclear catastrophe.

barrykas

Established Member
A quick bit of Googling suggests that Butler's Secret is a brand of a company called H&B Foods, based near Stewarts Lane TMD, the "Special Reserve" referring to a mature cheddar they produce. Their website is in need of updating though, as it's got a testimonial from GNER on there!

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.