• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buxton Branch closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thomas6187

10:52 Piccadilly-Buxton ended up in a snow drift and had to be dug out. 37676 was sent from Carnforth to assist in clearing the line, which reopen about 16:15

LCC106

Established Member
Yep - indeed, the Buxton line was showing as "closed" on the BBC Travel News Northern Page earlier than that this morning, somewhere between 9am and 10am, due to snow.

VideozVideoz

10:52 Piccadilly-Buxton ended up in a snow drift and had to be dug out. 37676 was sent from Carnforth to assist in clearing the line, which reopen about 16:15

Why would they send in a rescue train from Carnforth to Buxton? Seems excessive mileage to me and also time consuming. Apparently the rescue vehicle couldnt pull the train out... so i think spades were used

Correct, the line was cleared in time for evening rush hour as my girlfriend was on the 1st available train back to Buxton

oddiesjack

I don't understand why a loco from Peak Forest couldn't have been sent to Dove Holes. Its a damn sight closer than Carnforth!

Or is it some contractual agreement (or lack thereof) between Northern Rail and whoever has a handy locomotive?

driver9000

Established Member
Maybe Peak Forest had no plough fitted locomotives and WCRC was nearest with an available loco and crew. Any contracts for ploughing will be with Network Rail, not Northern.

It was indeed the nearest plough equipped loco at the time with crew ready and available to go. It only took it just over an hour to get to Buxton as well which is bloody good going considering!

VideozVideoz

It was indeed the nearest plough equipped loco at the time with crew ready and available to go. It only took it just over an hour to get to Buxton as well which is bloody good going considering!

I think it would've taken it more than just over an hour from Carnforth to Buxton! Bearing in mind it's over an hour on TPE from Carnforth to Manchester. Even without the stops you're looking at 1h30mins minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.