• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buxton Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_158

I took a trip here on Saturday and yet i was sadended by how much of a dump the Station actually is.

I could see that there are some maintiance Sheds at twards the end of the current platforms, When where theese closed ?

Also i noticed that there looks to another Building at the top of the platform with Buffers which is all fenced off and disused, What was this ?

-few other Questions

A-Why is the Railway Station in such a derilict condition

B-What was the Buffer Stop at the far side next to Platform one used for

C-What is the big idear of using 156s on such a slow route wtih stops only minutes apart and why not use more 150s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
I can't answer the first 2 questions, but there is no difference in performace between a 150 and 156, so it doesn't matter which is used along the route.

FusionRail

Yes there is: 156's give a better ride <D

Dont know about the maintenece side just its never been in use when ive been there. There used to be 37s up there i think, maybe shauna can 'shed' some light on this :D

Ilove165's

All I've ever get when I go to Buxton are 150s, I`ve only had one 156 and that was coupled up to a 150...

Sam

P156KWJ

Established Member
it's mostly 156s but remember these used to run all the way to Blackpool. And before anyone suggests... pacers are banned from Buxton :lol:

As for the buildings, the large derilict facade beyond the blocks suggests that it used to be a much wider station (where those extra buffers come in to proportion) and that was the main window at the end.

As for the sheds, don't know, but aren't some units stabled there for the first working which is usually 4 car?

Mintona

Established Member
It aint that bad. I've been to Buxton a few times, thought it was actually quite a nice station. The booking hall is in good condition, and the front of station is welcoming.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I agree with you Mintona :D

The 05:59 Buxton to Clitheroe is usually formed of a class 156, although it's not very useful for 156-fans who just want a trip on a 156 on the Buxton branch ;)

me123

Established Member
Please post threads in the most appropriate forum; thanks.

Anyway, I'm sure a certain member will have a lot to say about this topic...

FusionRail

There used to be two stations in buxton.

The buildings yu can see are the remains of a kind of TMD, with a headshunt/siding down the other ide of the fence of the platform opposite the building.

Everytime I have been there its been an average mix of 150s and 156s, though it is getting progressively more 156 operated.

FusionRail

Oh the weeds are immense.. I was considering sending some phots into a weed competition a few years ago in the Railway Magazine!

Gizmogle

Established Member
As for the sheds, don't know, but aren't some units stabled there for the first working which is usually 4 car?
Yeah, they keep units there overnight. There's usually at least two units there. Often more.

It aint that bad. I've been to Buxton a few times, thought it was actually quite a nice station. The booking hall is in good condition, and the front of station is welcoming.
The booking office has recently been refurbished, so it's lovely in there now. New(ish) benches have been placed along platform 1 (the far platform) too.

Oh the weeds are immense.. I was considering sending some phots into a weed competition a few years ago in the Railway Magazine!
We do have the occassional shed/MPV on weedkilling duties, but it doesn't seem to do much good!

Dont know about the maintenece side just its never been in use when ive been there. There used to be 37s up there i think, maybe shauna can 'shed' some light on this :D
Buxton used to be full of great locos.
Here's a picture (found on Google lol) of the old loco shed in full glory!
2964809929_f5e7580d20.jpg

And another photo from circa 1980 where you can see the far platform that John_158 mentioned in use!
KD0128.jpg

FusionRail

Yeah, they keep units there overnight. There's usually at least two units there. Often more.

The booking office has recently been refurbished, so it's lovely in there now. New(ish) benches have been placed along platform 1 (the far platform) too.

We do have the occassional shed/MPV on weedkilling duties, but it doesn't seem to do much good!

Buxton used to be full of great locos.

I usually see 3 or 4, and have the toilets finally reopened? I bet they have started to charge properly for carparking now <D
Im also assuming we forgot to fill up the weedkiller tanks before it came down the line :D

You can also see an old water tower thingy from the Waitrose? carpark obviously from the steam days. Wasnt the second station situated where the shopping centre now is?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, the toilets have reopened. I've got a feeling that they've been refurbished too, but may be wrong.

The second station was indeed where Spring Gardens shopping centre is now. I think it was in the carpark area of the shopping centre, but I'm not sure.

westcoaster

Established Member
in the second picture with the old dmu in it , if you look the back of the train and one line/track to the left can anyone else see what looks like a drs class 66( looks a little blurred)

Darandio

Established Member
Those are really the sort of pics I like! It seems as though it once was, and still is in some respects, a hive of activity.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, Buxton Lime Industries.

There's a quarry at either Hindlow or Dowlow (I forget which :lol:) on our local freight lines.

FusionRail

Yeah, Buxton Lime Industries.

There's a quarry at either Hindlow or Dowlow (I forget which :lol:) on our local freight lines.

Both. Theres 3 quarries in the buxton area (one at the end of the cycle track that runs to parsley hay, the LHoist venture near the bookshop and anotherone the other side of that road i according to a map in the cottage) and Tunstead/Doveholes a bit further down towards, well, Dove Holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.