• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buy "Off-peak" at any time using SE TVMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
While playing around with the TVM at Crayford earlier I noticed that it is now possible to buy off-peak tickets for travel on the day, before the end of the morning peak period. You need to start by selecting the button marked "Future tickets" at the bottom left of the screen. You then get asked when you are travelling - select the first available date (today) then enter the time you want to travel. You then choose the destination in the usual way, select return, and lo and behold you get options for off-peak as well as anytime.

Just need SE TVMs to be able to sell tickets from elsewhere and they'll be really useful.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I don't for the life of me see why it's rocket science to the programmers to offer (for example) off-peak tickets at any time but to supplement these with a full-screen message that the customer has to acknowledge, advising them of the validity limitations.

CarltonA

Such a feature is also useful for purchasing Network Railcard discounted tickets on a weekday. The machines will normally only let you purchase from 09:55. Of course a ticket clerk can sell NSE tickets at any time and should point out that they cannot be used before 10am. I believe it is ok to wait on the platform prior to 10am, just don't board any train DUE to depart before then regardless of the time it actually departs.

talldave

Established Member
Thanks for passing on this news - it's positive to hear that sanity has prevailed with at least one TOC.

John @ home

Established Member
just don't board any train DUE to depart before then [10:00] regardless of the time it actually departs.
It's not quite as simple as that.

The Network Railcard does not allow travel before 10:00 Monday to Friday (although there are a few Easements) and this is measured by when a train actually leaves a station.
Network Railcard discounts are not valid on tickets for travel before 10.00hrs, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). This time restriction applies to all types of tickets.

http://www.network-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/travel-times/
But the ticket used with a Network Railcard may also have its own time restrictions, and the wording of those restrictions usually mentions when the train is due to arrive or depart, not when it actually departs.

Status
Not open for further replies.