• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying a house near the railway line at Beckingham (Nottinghamshire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.hewittlee

Hi all,
Considering a purchase of a house backing the small railway line that passes through Beckingham DN17, there used to be a station there.

Is there a way of knowing how many trains, including freight and commuter pass along this line daily?

Many thanks
James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

Edit: I understand where the location is now (thread title amended accordingly!); see post below this one.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
You, or a Mod, has corrected the thread title!

The line runs from Peterborough via Lincoln to Doncaster.

I seem to recall the regular passenger service will be increased to hourly (daytime) in a year or so. It is an important route for freight traffic, and is also used by East Coast route passenger trains during (weekend) diversions for engineering work or (less predictably) when there is a blockage on the main line.

A convenient source of information is Realtime Trains, and this link
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...20-05-28/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
should give you the times of all the trains that might pass on a particular day.
In practice, you will see that quite a lot of those are duplicates anyway and most of the freights run only when required by the operator. However, they are the ones you will most notice.

Last edited by a moderator:

J.hewittlee

Thanks for this - perhaps I'm just not understanding but who are ISTR? I can't find anything on line?

Just to be clear, this is Beckingham to which we refer...

Sorry think I've got a bit clearer - the Beckingham loop appears to be a 'parking spot' (apologies no idea what the correct term is!!) for freight trains - so the arrival and departure times listed for the Beckingham Loop are the idling times for trains sat there - is that correct

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for this - perhaps I'm just not understanding but who are ISTR? I can't find anything on line?
In this case it's internet slang for "I seem to recall"; I have amended @30907's post accordingly to clarify.
Sorry think I've got a bit clearer - the Beckingham loop appears to be a 'parking spot' (apologies no idea what the correct term is!!) for freight trains - so the arrival and departure times listed for the Beckingham Loop are the idling times for trains sat there - is that correct

Yes if there is both an arrival and departure time shown, they are booked to wait in the loop (but, in practise, may pass straight through)

High Dyke

Established Member
Where the house/land is directly next to the railway boundary there should be some information in the deeds regarding that. Also, the estate agent should have any relevant information about the property and it's relationship with the railway. Network Rail have information about properties near the railway on their website.

Tom B

Established Member
I am familiar with the area and the line. Yorkie has summarised it well. If I may add a few points for the benefit of the original poster who may find this useful (I apologise if you know this and it is teaching granny to suck eggs) :-

At present, the passenger services I shouldn't imagine to be intrusive, even if they go up to hourly, they are short and lightweight - undoubtedly you would soon stop noticing the noise.

The likelihood of freight idling in the loop will vary - this may be more intrusive if a locomotive is sat outside for some time. For various reasons, locomotives are typically left switched on and idling when waiting for time in a loop. The impact on noise will also depend on the location of the property in respect to the signal (at the exit of the loop); as that is where the locomotive will wait.

It is worth adding for the benefit of the OP that freight trains are less predictable than passenger - as said above, even if you look back at the last few days movements, many of the trains 'run as required', and others may be added according to customer demand.

The weekend diversions may be slightly disruptive as they are the intercity services between Leeds/Scotland and London; the schedule for this, however, is publicised some time in advance. New units are being rolled out on this line which have an integrated diesel engine rather than being dragged by a second locomotive as before - I would imagine (although I don't know for sure) this is less noisy.

To the original poster - you are welcome to PM me directly if you have queries about the area in general, I used to live nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.