• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying a lottery ticket from a lottery winner - a good omen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yesterday would have been my father's 100th birthday. I don't normally buy a full National Lottery ticket these days, resenting the increase in price coupled with the addition of an extra ten numbers to conjure with, but I do on close family birthdays. Anyway, having agreed with my sister that I would buy two, and we would share any winnings (£25 split between us would have been a result!), I went to buy the tickets in a local store before realising that the draw wasn't until today. On enquiring about EuroMillion, which I knew was drawn on a Friday, I was told you could now, for £1.50 a go, choose from between one and five numbers as so-called 'Hotpicks', and getting two numbers right (out of two) would earn you £100, so I duly chose two numbers and bought one.

Now the shop assistant looked vaguely familiar, but not from this shop. She had problems entering my slip into their lottery machine, in the end having to enter the numbers manually. She said, when handing me the lottery ticket, that the misfunction could be a sign of good luck. I expressed doubts, to which she said 'well, I was very lucky once'. I then realised where I'd recognised her from: she had been amongst a group of staff from a local supermarket who had shared the top Thunderball payout of £500,000 a few years back, each syndicate member getting about £33,000. They got a lot of publicity at the time and I believe they all continued with their jobs, because it was a lovely sum of money for each of them without being life-changing (or life-destroying, in some cases). Anyway, checked my two numbers last night and, you guessed it, I'd won £100, the most I've ever won in my life. I'll toast my father tonight, even though he was a teetotaller for the last fifty years of his life and, come to think of it, totally anti-gambling! Yes, my sister will get half, and I've still got tonight's National Lottery to check at some stage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Congratulations Busaholic. Maybe it was lucky buying it from a previous winner or maybe it was your father giving you both a little helpful nudge from afar?

TheNewNo2

I'm sure the shop assistant has sold lots of lottery tickets which didn't win, so no, you just got lucky. Quit now while you're ahead.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Or maybe it was apophenia.
Could well be, if I knew what it was.
I'm sure the shop assistant has sold lots of lottery tickets which didn't win, so no, you just got lucky. Quit now while you're ahead.
Can't quite quit yet, as one of my National Lottery tickets got two numbers right, so I get a free play next time: oh, and the other one had three correct numbers, so £25.:smile: I do, however, recognise that such luck cannot and will not last.

johntea

Established Member
I do a single ticket online each Saturday, get a fiver back from my bank for having the direct debit set up so a bit like having £1 tickets anyway!

Funnily enough I don't care that much about the main lottery, I would be satisfied enough winning £20,000/£1m with that raffle number thing! It can be done, my Uncle bought a spur of the moment ticket and bagged £20,000...sadly he then died about a month later! Just remember you can't take it to the grave with you if you are lucky enough to win it so might as well enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.