• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Cigarettes in the EU from January 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
EHIC isn't insurance and tourists who use it to buy travel insurance that excludes a pre-existing condition are gambling.

EHIC doesn't cover everything but it does mean you will be able to avoid medical bills that will bankrupt you. You can live without the other things that EHIC doesn't cover, such as repatriation. EHIC is the only option for people who cannot get affordable travel insurance. They are already effectively barred from going on holiday to most of the world outside Europe.

If British emigrants with pre existing conditions cannot afford to buy health insurance then they would be a liability to their host country (which they are currently forced to accept because of FOM). Its reasonable for countries to set levels for third country citizens that ensure immigrants are not a liability (and they they learn the national language to a reasonable level).
So that is a huge loss. What if you get cancer before you retire? Then you won't be able to retire in Spain, but you would have been able to do so if you came from an EU country. Therefore if you are serious about retiring in Spain, you need to move to Ireland as soon as possible in case you get ill before retirement. If you are already ill, your only option is to spend 5 years in Ireland first.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester1

Established Member
EHIC doesn't cover everything but it does mean you will be able to avoid medical bills that will bankrupt you. You can live without the other things that EHIC doesn't cover, such as repatriation. EHIC is the only option for people who cannot get affordable travel insurance. They are already effectively barred from going on holiday to most of the world outside Europe.

So that is a huge loss. What if you get cancer before you retire? Then you won't be able to retire in Spain, but you would have been able to do so if you came from an EU country. Therefore if you are serious about retiring in Spain, you need to move to Ireland as soon as possible in case you get ill before retirement. If you are already ill, your only option is to spend 5 years in Ireland first.

I wouldn't choose Spain. A history of cancer is the sort of pre existing condition that should be covered by the Portuguese proposal (excluding people with cancer at the time of application). Other countries may follow. Its very much a sovereign decision for EU member states to decide the requirements. I can't support allowing three times as many EU citizens in the UK for every Brit that moves to the EU (even if that may include myself later in life). We are a small, densely populated country with a housing shortage. FOM comes at the expense of non EU citizens because it creates a largely closed labour market of half a billion people. I support the immigration system treating citizens of other countries more or less equally. I don't see why someone from Brazil should be treated significantly differently from someone with the similar skill and experience of a German. A system that annoys both pan europeans and racists sounds like a good idea.

Note to mods - please split this thread.

radamfi

Established Member
I wouldn't choose Spain. A history of cancer is the sort of pre existing condition that should be covered by the Portuguese proposal (excluding people with cancer at the time of application). Other countries may follow. Its very much a sovereign decision for EU member states to decide the requirements. I can't support allowing three times as many EU citizens in the UK for every Brit that moves to the EU (even if that may include myself later in life). We are a small, densely populated country with a housing shortage. FOM comes at the expense of non EU citizens because it creates a largely closed labour market of half a billion people. I support the immigration system treating citizens of other countries more or less equally. I don't see why someone from Brazil should be treated significantly differently from someone with the similar skill and experience of a German. A system that annoys both pan europeans and racists sounds like a good idea.

Why shouldn't I choose Spain?

Clearly we have such a sense of belonging with the rest of the continent and have grown up with it all our lives. That's the difference between Germany and Brazil. Ireland don't seem to have a problem with FOM despite being a tiny country compared to the UK and similarly acute housing problems in the Dublin region.

Non-EU immigration will simply replace EU immigration so people who want reduced immigration will not be satisfied. So everyone loses.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we stick to the topic please?
That is a topic worthy of a whole thread if moderators would like to split it!
If anyone wishes to create a new topic, you are very welcome to do so :)

It is much better if people create their own threads, rather than ask the volunteer moderation to do so. However if anyone would like to make a request, this must be done by reporting the first off topic post (using the 'Report' link underneath the post) and please include in your report a list of any subsequent off topic posts, along with a suggested thread title.

najaB

Veteran Member
We are a small, densely populated country with a housing shortage.
Small: yes. Densely populated: outside the south east corner, no. With a housing storage: only because we don't build enough houses.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So apart from the change in Beer and Wine etc, there is not or very little change in what you can bring back into the UK (non-EU)

Basically, the duty free alcohol limits have been extended, and then the whole lot is now applied to the EU.

class ep-09

EHIC isn't insurance and tourists who use it to buy travel insurance that excludes a pre-existing condition are gambling.

If British emigrants with pre existing conditions cannot afford to buy health insurance then they would be a liability to their host country (which they are currently forced to accept because of FOM). Its reasonable for countries to set levels for third country citizens that ensure immigrants are not a liability (and they they learn the national language to a reasonable level).

Portugal is investigating various options for insurance for both British tourists and British immigrants. Collectively part time British residents and tourists contribute 1.5% of Portugal's GDP. The state backed Coronavirus holiday insurance has been success, which should encourage them to push ahead. The Portuguese government want to obtain larger shares of the British expat and tourist markets after Brexit. If correctly set up both schemes would make both part time residency and holidays viable for all but the most sick Brits.

Could we stop calling British IMMIGRANTS “expats” , or perhaps calling them that way is derogatory, as they are no different to other immigrants moving to UK?

Butts

Veteran Member
Rumours are reaching me that importing Cigarettes for personal use, paid for and transported by you from EU Countries to Northern Ireland is still permitted post Jan 1st unlike the rest of the UK where it has been replaced by Duty Free.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true ?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rumours are reaching me that importing Cigarettes for personal use, paid for and transported by you from EU Countries to Northern Ireland is still permitted post Jan 1st unlike the rest of the UK where it has been replaced by Duty Free.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true ?
That's correct - whilst it gets a bit complex in some areas - for the vast majority of cases, the customs border is the Irish Sea. So yes you could import them into NI, but you would then be liable for import duty (and with the same personal use limits) in exactly the same way as if you'd bought them from mainland Europe when bringing them back to GB.

Butts

Veteran Member
That's correct - whilst it gets a bit complex in some areas - for the vast majority of cases, the customs border is the Irish Sea. So yes you could import them into NI, but you would then be liable for import duty (and with the same personal use limits) in exactly the same way as if you'd bought them from mainland Europe when bringing them back to GB.

So I will have to move from Scotland to Northern Ireland to carry on enjoying cheap imported quality cigarettes !!!

If I was being naughty if I got through UK Border/ Customs in Belfast and then switched to a Ferry back to Scotland there would be no further checks.

What would be the position if you were flying from Luxembourg to Belfast via LHR....normally the bag would be checked right through to Belfast where you would exit through the Domestic Arrivals section ?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So I will have to move from Scotland to Northern Ireland to carry on enjoying cheap imported quality cigarettes !!!

If I was being naughty if I got through UK Border/ Customs in Belfast and then switched to a Ferry back to Scotland there would be no further checks.

What would be the position if you were flying from Luxembourg to Belfast via LHR....normally the bag would be checked right through to Belfast where you would exit through the Domestic Arrivals section ?
Agree the chance of checks is probably low - but Customs are permitted to check any boat sailing between NI and GB.

My assumption is that NI airports will now (or shortly will) have Green/Red channels (plus presumably a 'blue' channel for arrivals from Ireland) in their domestic arrivals flow, but I don't know that for sure. (Or, thinking about it, they might do what the UK - or certainly Luton - does with CTA arrivals such as those from Ireland and drop you into the international baggage claim area on arrival, bypassing Passport Control but not Customs).

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member

I'd assume so, you'd clear immigration in London but the customs channel would now be in Belfast since all arrivals from GB/anywhere else are going to have to be controlled. Not sure how it would work if you were flying separately i.e. Luxembourg - Gatwick then Heathrow - Belfast. Presumably not possible to do as you'd be 'entering' GB.

It would make sense for arrivals in GB to now use the same route as arrivals from the ROI, they go through 'customs' but not passport control.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Agree the chance of checks is probably low - but Customs are permitted to check any boat sailing between NI and GB.

My assumption is that NI airports will now (or shortly will) have Green/Red channels (plus presumably a 'blue' channel for arrivals from Ireland) in their domestic arrivals flow, but I don't know that for sure. (Or, thinking about it, they might do what the UK - or certainly Luton - does with CTA arrivals such as those from Ireland and drop you into the international baggage claim area on arrival, bypassing Passport Control but not Customs).
I imagine red and green channels require someone to be honest. But would customs be scanning hold luggage for things like large quantities of ciggerites?

How long would the OP's stash of ciggerites last?

I just add I personally don't smoke, never have done, have no Interest in doing so and would prefer it if others didn't. Despite that I found this thread interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.