• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Greater Manchester Rail Rangers from outside the area

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Established Member
My daughter and I need to travel from Leeds to Manchester Airport. The cheapest way that still gives flexibility over journey times looks to be to use a combination of a Metro Train Day Rover (£6.20) and and a TGM Rail Ranger (£4.60). (From the explanation at http://www.wymetro.com/NR/rdonlyres...7-9864DAB24758/0/CrossBoundaryinfoleaflet.pdf I assume that these would be treated as two zonal tickets and so would together be valid across the whole journey).

We'll be at Leeds Station and s can buy the Metro Day Rover there but is it possible to buy the TGM Rail Ranger either there or in advance (or some other mechanism)? The TGM site only refers to buying it as staffed stations within Greater Manchester or on train if you board at an unstaffed station. However as we would b already on the train from the West Yorkshire side of the journey, neither of these look to be an option.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
You could buy it on the train as long as you do so whilst still under the validity of your day rover after which you could be treated as over riding so this is a bit risky if you can't find the guard.

Nym

Established Member
They're not zonal tickets, so this is not a valid set of tickets.

NRCoC said:
19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets unless special conditions prohibit their use in this
way. The Ticket Seller will, if you ask, advise you whether you can use a Zonal
Ticket in combination with another ticket.
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another;
or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/
are not.
You must comply with any restriction shown on the tickets relating to travel in the trains of
a particular Train Company or Train Companies (see Condition 10).
If you do not comply with this Condition, you will be treated as having joined the train
without a ticket and Condition 2 or 4 will apply, either to the entire journey, or from the last
station where the train stopped at which at least one of the tickets was valid.
For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket
(excluding Season Tickets) valid for:
(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days
and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and BritRail passes.

Both PTE Products are not Zonal, this is only where you are within consecutive zones of a zonal fares area, such as TfL.

island

Veteran Member
Not commenting on whether the combination of tickets is valid or covers all the stations involved, but there is no problem issuing G M Rail Ranger tickets outside the area. I have previously obtained one at Bradford Interch. You may need to give the seller the ticket code, which is I103, and they may (or may not) need to set the origin as a station within the zone, such as Rochdale.

button_boxer

Established Member
This has been discussed a number of times in the past and I seem to remember the consensus was that the WY ranger area ends at Marsden and the GM one starts at Greenfield, and you'd need another ticket to bridge the gap. And Marsden to Greenfield is very expensive per mile compared to fares wholly within the PTE areas either side.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've had no problem buying a GM Evening ranger at Halifax before now, which I combined with a day rover and a Walsden-Littleborough single.

It was only worth doing that way because I'd already had substantial use from the Dayrover earlier in the day and I was travelling too late to get a Littleborough - Manchetser evening return.

Established Member
This has been discussed a number of times in the past and I seem to remember the consensus was that the WY ranger area ends at Marsden and the GM one starts at Greenfield, and you'd need another ticket to bridge the gap. And Marsden to Greenfield is very expensive per mile compared to fares wholly within the PTE areas either side.

The maps are not clear, but I'd agree with that, and that is what the majority of guards are likely to do if you presented both of those tickets.

TUC

Established Member

Both PTE Products are not Zonal, this is only where you are within consecutive zones of a zonal fares area, such as TfL.

But surely the fact that Metro have included the zonal tickets issue in their cross-boundary guide (see link in OP) implies that there must be tickets in their area that are zonal and for which cross-boundary issues need to be clarified in terms of another set of zonal tickets available in an adjacent area. If its not these tickets which is it?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
But surely the fact that Metro have included the zonal tickets issue in their cross-boundary guide (see link in OP) implies that there must be tickets in their area that are zonal and for which cross-boundary issues need to be clarified in terms of another set of zonal tickets available in an adjacent area. If its not these tickets which is it?

South Yorkshire. All the Metro publicity makes it quite clear that you can swap from Metrocards/Dayrovers etc to South Yorkshire tickets at all boundary stations.

They could make it clearer that the same does not apply with the Greater Manchester boundary than they do but I've always needed a ticket across the boundary.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

Both tickets are zonal, the issue is whether or not they cover the whole journey. There is no clearly defined boundary for either ticket and they do not share a common station.

Status
Not open for further replies.