• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying house backing onto train tracks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L401CJF

Established Member
I have not long bought a new build Persimmon Home, not near a railway but very close to a motorway, and under a flight path for Liverpool Airport departures and Manchester departures (albeit higher up!) . Ive always lived under a flight path, and never notice the planes, ive lived on main roads and noise is something we have gotten used to.

It is worth mentioning on our new Persimmon home, they're incredibly good at blocking out sound. If you shut the windows you can hardly hear a thing, very impressive.

In my last house I was around 200m from Neston Station, a small station with an hourly passenger train and very occasional engineers trains late at night. The rails were still jointed rather than welded so the trains did shake the house even from that distance. It never actually disturbed us though. Hope this helps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SEA222

So much great information on here! Again, thank you so much everyone for your input, we have thoroughly read every comment and your info and advice has helped us so much! :)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I’m not sure if this thread is finished or not.

But for a good few years I lived in a house which back garden was directly next to the Largs line. At this time there were frequent trains to Hunterston. I recall being regularly woke up at 2/3am to the sound of a 66 powering up behind the back garden wall.

Even in those few years I didn’t get used to the noise whatsoever

Bevan Price

Established Member
Another thing to consider is that new estates next to railways or motorways are often provided with very high fences - often 3m./10 feet high. They will help to reduce noise levels, but they will dominate the view from your house & garden, and if facing south-ish, parts of the garden might be in near-permanent for much of the year.

L401CJF

Established Member
Another thing to consider is that new estates next to railways or motorways are often provided with very high fences - often 3m./10 feet high. They will help to reduce noise levels, but they will dominate the view from your house & garden, and if facing south-ish, parts of the garden might be in near-permanent for much of the year.

Ours is exactly like this. 2m behind our garden is a large noise blocking fence, motorway fairly audible in the garden, particularly on a wet day, but not audible at all indoors, dont even notice it at all to be honest even when we are outside! I was worried about the height of the fence, it must be about 10ft tall, but doesnt feel at all intimidating and to be honest makes the whole row feel quite private.

Also worth mentioning, ignore the bad press about Persimmon homes recently, they have given us 110% on everything and have no regrets. The site manager hasgone above and beyond with any snags we have had, and has even provided us with extra paving flags etc free of charge for some garden landscaping we wanted to do. Would recommend them to anybody.

Lloyds siding

Many years ago I studied at Lancaster University. I was in hall, on site, in a westerly facing room, and had a direct line of sight to the WCML about 700m away. The window was single glazed and I could easily hear trains passing, especially at night. Since then I've become qualified in Acoustics, and have worked professionally in noise assessment of road and rail noise sources, this included investigating the WCML upgrade from Tamworth to Armitage (changing from two tracks to four tracks to increase line speeds). More recently I've been working in the Milton Keynes area (not in the field of acoustics) and stayed in several places not far from the WCML, in particular the large flat development right next to Wolverton station on the WCML.
One thing I can say right away is that noise is taken much more seriously than it was: in house design and construction, in vehicle design, road and railtrack design and construction and in council planning applications. The result of this attention is that, despite increasing speed of traffic, especially on rail main lines, the impact of noise has lessened. In the case of Wolverton my flat had a facade exposed to noise from the WCML about 20-30m away, however there were no windows in the facade so very little noise penetrated: I was only aware of some large freight trains and engineering trains at night. This fits with my measurements and caculations of traffic on the WCML. Generally the more modern the vehicle, the quieter it is: Pendolinos and the various EMUs are surprisingly quiet. It is the diesel hauled freight (most freight movements are at night) and (when I did the measurements), the relatively slow Caledonian sleepers, which then included Mark II carriages with block brakes, which were the noisiest traffic.
Looking at your prospective house in Lancaster: the use of a noise consultant by Persimmon Homes is to ensure that the new houses fulfill planning conditions. Hepworth Acoustics report shows that my perceptions and measurements are correct: the night time noise level from the railway is louder than the daytime level. There's also some surprises in the report: the measured background noise levels (the LA90s) are, in the main, higher than the daytime ones. In the case of this site this may be related to the arrival of a ship at Heysham harbour resulting in more HGVs passing along the A683, or possibly local traffic, or noise from the railway (even though the acoustics report does not mention it as a perceived noise source at the measurement site). The railway line here is elevated (the report says 5m), therefore the edge of the embankment is acting as a noise barrier, reducing the measured noise at the sound level meter (the main source of noise from rail traffic is the wheels on rail). If the microphone had been raised to a reasonable level (say the first floor bedroom window level, where there may well be line of sight to the rails) then the measured noise level may have been somewhat higher (indeed, they will be). No extra noise protection measures have been incorporated into the houses, apart from those identified by Hepworths as being at risk from road traffic, and the one house and one block of flats that they believe are affected adversely by rail noise.
My advice is that, if your wife has easily disturbed sleep, you should avoid this property, which has no special noise protection measures (unless it is the 'one') , even though it is only 25m from the WCML.

Scott M

With respect, you would be daft to buy a house that close to the WCML if your wife suffers from insomnia.

vlad

Noise from railway lines certainly depend on infrastructure and how fast the trains are going.

I used to live about half a mile from a famous viaduct on the ECML. When trains went over that you knew about it - the entire building would rattle and it was pretty noisy even when the train was electric. It took a few weeks but I did get used to the noise.

I currently live less than a quarter of a mile from the Stoke to Manchester line but at a place where there's no major engineering. Although I can hear trains going past when I have my windows open the noise isn't intrusive and it's easy to forget the line is there.

mpthomson

In the OP's case the houses are not on the same level as the line, which is on a short arched stretch of what becomes Carlisle Bridge. This viaduct and the embankment that precedes is the NE of the housing and will block out a good portion of morning sun in any case, as it's something like 50ft tall.

mpthomson

Many years ago I studied at Lancaster University. I was in hall, on site, in a westerly facing room, and had a direct line of sight to the WCML about 700m away. The window was single glazed and I could easily hear trains passing, especially at night. Since then I've become qualified in Acoustics, and have worked professionally in noise assessment of road and rail noise sources, this included investigating the WCML upgrade from Tamworth to Armitage (changing from two tracks to four tracks to increase line speeds). More recently I've been working in the Milton Keynes area (not in the field of acoustics) and stayed in several places not far from the WCML, in particular the large flat development right next to Wolverton station on the WCML.
One thing I can say right away is that noise is taken much more seriously than it was: in house design and construction, in vehicle design, road and railtrack design and construction and in council planning applications. The result of this attention is that, despite increasing speed of traffic, especially on rail main lines, the impact of noise has lessened. In the case of Wolverton my flat had a facade exposed to noise from the WCML about 20-30m away, however there were no windows in the facade so very little noise penetrated: I was only aware of some large freight trains and engineering trains at night. This fits with my measurements and caculations of traffic on the WCML. Generally the more modern the vehicle, the quieter it is: Pendolinos and the various EMUs are surprisingly quiet. It is the diesel hauled freight (most freight movements are at night) and (when I did the measurements), the relatively slow Caledonian sleepers, which then included Mark II carriages with block brakes, which were the noisiest traffic.
Looking at your prospective house in Lancaster: the use of a noise consultant by Persimmon Homes is to ensure that the new houses fulfill planning conditions. Hepworth Acoustics report shows that my perceptions and measurements are correct: the night time noise level from the railway is louder than the daytime level. There's also some surprises in the report: the measured background noise levels (the LA90s) are, in the main, higher than the daytime ones. In the case of this site this may be related to the arrival of a ship at Heysham harbour resulting in more HGVs passing along the A683, or possibly local traffic, or noise from the railway (even though the acoustics report does not mention it as a perceived noise source at the measurement site). The railway line here is elevated (the report says 5m), therefore the edge of the embankment is acting as a noise barrier, reducing the measured noise at the sound level meter (the main source of noise from rail traffic is the wheels on rail). If the microphone had been raised to a reasonable level (say the first floor bedroom window level, where there may well be line of sight to the rails) then the measured noise level may have been somewhat higher (indeed, they will be). No extra noise protection measures have been incorporated into the houses, apart from those identified by Hepworths as being at risk from road traffic, and the one house and one block of flats that they believe are affected adversely by rail noise.
My advice is that, if your wife has easily disturbed sleep, you should avoid this property, which has no special noise protection measures (unless it is the 'one') , even though it is only 25m from the WCML.

I'm not sure where they took the embankment height reading from, the viaduct that backs onto the development is something like 15m tall...

Status
Not open for further replies.