• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying London Travelcard (Day and 7-Day) from non London stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkstudent

Established Member
Some of my friends are planning to visit me and stay in London for a week after the easing of the current pandemic.

Would it be possible to buy the following London Travelcard from stations away from London (even out of the boundary of Network SE area) in advance, to avoid the hassle of queueing up in busy London stations?

1. London Day Travelcard
2. London 7-Day Travelcard

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can buy them from any retailer, including any station with ticket issuing facilities, as well as online retailers.

hkstudent

Established Member
You can buy them from any retailer, including any station with ticket issuing facilities, as well as online retailers.
Do they need to name a specific station in London in order to buy the travelcard (especially the 7-Day travelcard?)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Do they need to name a specific station in London in order to buy the travelcard (especially the 7-Day travelcard?)
You might need to do so to get some TISs to sell you a Travelcard. Better TISs will let you manually enter "London Travelcard Zones X-Y" as a destination.

Southern Rail, along with the other GTR brands, allow you to search directly for London Travelcard Zones 1-6 when purchasing a ticket. May be easier than choosing a random station in London and then clicking on the additional options for a travelcard.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You may need to give an origin station with the destination being the travelcard. It's probably safest to give a station in the outermost zone required.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Some of my friends are planning to visit me and stay in London for a week after the easing of the current pandemic.

Would it be possible to buy the following London Travelcard from stations away from London (even out of the boundary of Network SE area) in advance, to avoid the hassle of queueing up in busy London stations?

1. London Day Travelcard

For a day travelcard, you can buy it online if you search for a journey between two London stations, preferably as far apart as possible (ie Ealing Broadway to Upminster)

hkstudent

Established Member
You may need to give an origin station with the destination being the travelcard. It's probably safest to give a station in the outermost zone required.
Thanks.
Last year, I managed to get to the screen for buying a 7-Day Travelcard from a ticket machine at Luton Airport.
Probably that should apply to any National Rail Station then...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks.
Last year, I managed to get to the screen for buying a 7-Day Travelcard from a ticket machine at Luton Airport.
Probably that should apply to any National Rail Station then...
Are you happy that your friends won’t go to a TVM out in the sticks and accidentally buy a day travelcard or weekly season travelcard from that particular station to London?

{as per “away from London (even out of the boundary of Network SE area)”}

In other words are they fully aware of the difference between what we usually call an “out-boundary” product and the ordinary travelcard? I suggest there are many TVMs set up so that if there’s an obvious “Travelcard” button then it will sell the expensive product...

Last edited:

talldave

Established Member
In December, I always used to buy my Travelcards starting from Turkey Street. Not sure there's a summertime witty equivalent though!

hkstudent

Established Member
Are you happy that your friends won’t go to a TVM out in the sticks and accidentally buy a day travelcard or weekly season travelcard from that particular station to London?

{as per “away from London (even out of the boundary of Network SE area)”}

In other words are they fully aware of the difference between what we usually call an “out-boundary” product and the ordinary travelcard? I suggest there are many TVMs set up so that if there’s an obvious “Travelcard” button then it will sell the expensive product...
That's a good point. I shall tell them the right price of the products, and specify clearly what stations (in respective zone) is needed to be used

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Your friends will need photocards when they buy a 7 day season so purchasing from a TVM won't be possible unless they've already obtained photocards. IIRC you have to enter the photocard number into the TVM when purchasing a season ticket as it's printed onto the ticket.

adamskiodp

1. London Day Travelcard

Have you considered advance returns to London and then use the daily or weekly caps using contactless debit/credit cards?

hkstudent

Established Member
Your friends will need photocards when they buy a 7 day season so purchasing from a TVM won't be possible unless they've already obtained photocards. IIRC you have to enter the photocard number into the TVM when purchasing a season ticket as it's printed onto the ticket.
I could imagine a (rather shocking the ticket seller) scenario of buying a season ticket at a ticket office up north.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Depends. If they want to use a 2-for-1 discount for tourist spots, a paper travelcard would be needed...
Not so. It's acceptable to use a longer distance ticket to London as long as the date they are using the offer is between the out and return dates.

Barnsley

Up here we can only issue a 1-6 daily Travelcard, I use Upper Warlingham to Zones 1-6, we can issue a 7-day paper one no problem, just put any Zone 6 station into the Season Ticket option, but photocard required

hkstudent

Established Member
Not so. It's acceptable to use a longer distance ticket to London as long as the date they are using the offer is between the out and return dates.
Yeah, but it has to be an Anytime / Off-Peak return ticket right? Seems two Advance tickets can't make that?
Also, they are likely to do a rover in this country, so they are not likely to have return tickets...

Status
Not open for further replies.