• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying PlusBus on train

Status
Not open for further replies.

north

Hi,

I'm on an East Coast train and have just asked the guard if she would sell me a Newcastle PlusBus. She said that she not could sell those (I even gave her the Newcastle+Bus code of J927).

Are East Coast guards able to sell these and/or have they been instructed not to?

Just a bit of a pain to have to queue up at Newcastle!

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You can sell them on train. I've sold a few to people.

It's either a case of poor training or can't be bothered.

reapz

Hi,

I'm on an East Coast train and have just asked the guard if she would sell me a Newcastle PlusBus. She said that she not could sell those (I even gave her the Newcastle+Bus code of J927).

Are East Coast guards able to sell these and/or have they been instructed not to?

Just a bit of a pain to have to queue up at Newcastle!

Thanks

avantix can but u have to do 2 tickets , it wont work for example "bristol to cardiff puls bus" the avantix wont find the fare.

You would have to do "bristol to cardiff" and "cardiff to plus bus" .

either the guard is poorly trained or lazy

north

Thanks for the replies. That was what I thought. I should add that I already have a ticket to Newcastle. I just wanted the plus bus.

dk1

Veteran Member
I regularley buy them on the train via Advantix as have BR boxes. Cambridge all-day plusbus is just £3 per day (£3.50 if bought on the bus).

island

Veteran Member
EMT is known to deny railcard discounts when bought on train, but I do have somewhere a Sheffield PlusBus issued on board EMT.

jinxie

Plus bus tickets are not sold on board East Coast trains, they must be purchased in advance or from a ticket office, very rude to call the guard lazy or lack of training.

causton

Established Member
Plus bus tickets are not sold on board East Coast trains, they must be purchased in advance or from a ticket office, very rude to call the guard lazy or lack of training.

Could you elaborate more on this rule?

We don't seem to have anything else to go by as every single other TOC probably issues them fine... there's no reason not to?

sonic2009

Established Member
I had a XC Guard issue me a Ashchurch to Tewkesbury Bus PlusBus No problem this afternoon.

island

Veteran Member
I remember reading this mentioned before that EC has a policy of not issuing them for some inane reason.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Welcome to the forum :smile: Could you back up this 'fact' with supporting evidence please? I have personal experience of seeing a +Bus sold onboard an East Coast service.

Thanks,

TP

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

There is no need to purchase plusbus in advance at all - what happens if a passenger started at an unstaffed station?

The tickets are there in Avantix and can be sold without problem. I have done quite a few on trains before now.

If East Coast "cannot" sell them on board then that is certainly not a national policy, it may be a case of they "won't" sell them on board - and there must be some reason why - as well as it being documented somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.