• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Plusbus ticket with Megatrain ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

I am travelling between London and Nottingham with Megatrain tickets on 2 April. Will I be able to buy a Nottingham Plusbus ticket from a ticket office if I show my reservation code at a ticket office?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes, I can see no reason why you wouldn't be able to.

I can.

I suspect most ticket offices will know little to nothing about megatrain tickets and have no way of checking their validity.

You may have some luck with an EMT ticket office.

I'm not saying it's fair but I'd expect the OP to encounter difficulties.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I am travelling between London and Nottingham with Megatrain tickets on 2 April. Will I be able to buy a Nottingham Plusbus ticket from a ticket office if I show my reservation code at a ticket office?

The only place I can find a definitive answer is in the Megatrain T&Cs, and that suggests you can. However, as Deerfold notes, ticket offices generally cannot tell if a Megatrain reference is a valid ticket, so your best bet is indeed an EMT (or SWT) ticket office. Some staff may 'take your word for it', but that's not guaranteed.

Might be worth noting that the Megatrain T&Cs also state "14. If the vehicle you are travelling on is fitted with seatbelts, you are legally required to wear it." so I'm not so sure it's something that can be relied on.

mikeg

Established Member
Might be worth noting that the Megatrain T&Cs also state "14. If the vehicle you are travelling on is fitted with seatbelts, you are legally required to wear it." so I'm not so sure it's something that can be relied on.

Surely though subject to other laws the T&Cs are binding on both parties? The bit about seatbelts is because some megatrain journeys are combined coach and train, with a change at East Midlands Parkway.

The only place I can find a definitive answer is in the Megatrain T&Cs, and that suggests you can. However, as Deerfold notes, ticket offices generally cannot tell if a Megatrain reference is a valid ticket, so your best bet is indeed an EMT (or SWT) ticket office. Some staff may 'take your word for it', but that's not guaranteed.

I would suggest that's their problem and that they should give the customer the benefit of the doubt rather than breaking the T&Cs. Maybe an idea to print off the actual booking reference though and maybe the T&Cs just to be on the safe side?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Surely though subject to other laws the T&Cs are binding on both parties?....

I would say so, but then some on this forum seem to disagree depending on their own particular problem with them.

....The bit about seatbelts is because some megatrain journeys are combined coach and train, with a change at East Midlands Parkway....

Wasn't aware of that, learn something new everyday.

....I would suggest that's their problem and that they should give the customer the benefit of the doubt rather than breaking the T&Cs....

The T&Cs would be binding with Megatrain, EMT, SWT and Virgin, depending on the journey, so I'd not be so confident about that.

....Maybe an idea to print off the actual booking reference though and maybe the T&Cs just to be on the safe side?

Seems a reasonable thing to do.

snail

Established Member
You could try getting one in Nottingham. I often buy Preston plusbus from the ticket office there [Preston (Lancs) to Preston (Lancs) + BUS], no one asks to see my rail ticket.

richardderby

no according to megatrain terms and conditions as below...:(

6.Journeys are only available for travel in Standard Class. A Weekend First Upgrade is available on East Midlands Trains at weekends and public holidays, subject to availability.

7.Megatrain booking references cannot be used in conjunction with any National Rail, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains or South West Trains promotion or offer unless stated otherwise. (This includes, but is not limited to, PlusBus and discounted admission tickets to attractions.)

8.Seat reservations are not available on megatrain services.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
no according to megatrain terms and conditions as below...:(

6.Journeys are only available for travel in Standard Class. A Weekend First Upgrade is available on East Midlands Trains at weekends and public holidays, subject to availability.

7.Megatrain booking references cannot be used in conjunction with any National Rail, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains or South West Trains promotion or offer unless stated otherwise. (This includes, but is not limited to, PlusBus and discounted admission tickets to attractions.)

8.Seat reservations are not available on megatrain services.

I think I must have misread them then.

Status
Not open for further replies.