• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Rover Tickets..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan2603

I tried to search for this answer but could not find it anywhere, so here goes.

My brother in law who is disabled wants to go on an explore of the railways and various cities/towns. I have been ‘volunteered’ to accompany him on this expedition, as I have some 'spare' annual leave owing to me. We are wanting to purchase two one week 1st class All Line Rovers, however when we start the first leg of this odyssey (0529hrs from Northallerton to Peterborough) the ticket office at Northallerton won’t be open.

As I am away until the night before the trip I won’t be able to buy the tickets in advance, so would we be allowed to purchase the two all line rovers (with disabled railcard deduction) on the 0529hrs VTEC train? Or would we have to buy ‘normal’ tickets from the machine at Northallerton to, for example, York or Peterborough and buy the rover tickets from the staffed booking office there?

I did have a look at the ticket machine at Northallerton when I passed through there last week but it didn’t seem to sell Rover tickets (unless I was doing something wrong?). I know that if the departure station has a ticket machine one needs to purchase tickets before boarding the train, but what if, as in this case, the machine doesn’t sell the actual tickets required?

Thanks

Alan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You can’t buy an All Line Rover from ticket machines (well, I’ve never seen it).

You can therefore buy the ticket on the first train. The guard will be happy with the commission!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I doubt you'll be able to buy ALRs on board.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The theory is that you can buy them on board, I’m sure the guard will not turn down the commission if they are physically able to sell the ticket!

Failing the above, Peterborough ticket office will be a good shout :)

TP

Kite159

Veteran Member
You can’t buy an All Line Rover from ticket machines (well, I’ve never seen it).

You can therefore buy the ticket on the first train. The guard will be happy with the commission!

Isn't the All Line Rover one of those available for sale from some London Overground TVMs?

You could always purchase in advance from the Northallerton if you pass by it before your trip, or depending how soon your plan is you could purchase from the GWR website (and get some Nectar points thrown in on top!)

paddington

depending how soon your plan is you could purchase from the GWR website (and get some Nectar points thrown in on top!)

Well in this case the nectar points will cover the postage charge for £1000 worth of rovers, but normally there is no point buying a £50 rover online and paying the postage

Cletus

Established Member
If you're willing trust the postal service, then GWR deliver for free.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well in this case the nectar points will cover the postage charge for £1000 worth of rovers, but normally there is no point buying a £50 rover online and paying the postage

It has been free postage for me in the past when I've purchased rovers from the GWR website as long as it has been over 7 days

Alan2603

Thanks Folks,

It is tomorrow we are looking to set off, so buying on the web is out. Plus even if we could buy online today and collect the tickets from the machine at Northallerton tomorrow morning, there is always the chance the one and only ticket machine there maybe out of order or something, leaving us stranded without the somewhat expensive tickets.

I am up on the moors all day until very late this evening so won't get chance to pop into Northallerton Station to physically purchase them before the ticket office closes tonight.

If I know the guard on the train can sell them that would be great and if he/she gets commission good for him/her (we don't collect nectar - we did collect the EC Rewards in the past when they were worth something). I suppose the worst that can happen is having to buy two first class tickets from Northallerton to Peterborough from the guard, but obviously with buying the Rovers, that journey would be covered by the Rover tickets if the guard can sell them.

Having just had a further thought, would a third party (my other brother) be able to buy them for us from the Railway Station later today without physically having the Disabled Railcard but getting the Railcard discount?

Thanks
Alan

Starmill

Veteran Member
It probably is physically possible to buy the tickets onboard, but if it is then they would be printed on receipt roll stock.

It's likely that someone else would be able to buy them for you yes. It's not guaranteed without presentation if the railcard though.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I doubt you'll be able to buy ALRs on board.

I have witnessed it being done on board! Gentlemen asked for a 14 Day First Class ALR and the guard was extremely happy to issue the ticket with the result they got a nice little wodge of commission. However...

DORIS doesn't issue rovers.

When I witnessed it being done that was by the old Avantix ticket machines that were replaced as being life expired not so long ago on most TOCs. It's gratifying to see that the new 'improved' machines have reduced functionality over the old ones :rolleyes:

Cough40

Alan how much are the 2 tickets ? My son aged 14 has a disabled rail card and was looking in to taking him on a 7day rover 1st class

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Alan how much are the 2 tickets ? My son aged 14 has a disabled rail card and was looking in to taking him on a 7day rover 1st class
Using his railcard discount on your ticket it would be £491.70 for you and then £372.50 for your son so a total of £864.20.

IanD

Established Member
Is the All Line Rover valid on the 0529 from Northallerton if alighting at Peterborough before 10am?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is the All Line Rover valid on the 0529 from Northallerton if alighting at Peterborough before 10am?
Yes. Peterborough is not a restricted station. The restriction is as follows:

The All Lines Rail Rover is not valid for boarding or alighting train services operated by CrossCountry, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains or Virgin Trains East Coast before 10:00 Mondays to Fridays at the following stations:

• Birmingham New Street
  • Bedford
  • London Euston
  • London Kings Cross
  • London St Pancras International
  • Luton
  • Luton Airport Parkway
  • Milton Keynes Central
  • Stevenage
  • Watford Junction
No restrictions apply on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Source

SaveECRewards

When I witnessed it being done that was by the old Avantix ticket machines that were replaced as being life expired not so long ago on most TOCs. It's gratifying to see that the new 'improved' machines have reduced functionality over the old ones :rolleyes:

Would you really want a 14 day all line rover on a bit of toilet paper? I wonder if the reason they don't issue them is just because there's no credit card sized stock?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would you really want a 14 day all line rover on a bit of toilet paper? I wonder if the reason they don't issue them is just because there's no credit card sized stock?
Yes I suppose so but there are plenty of day rangers where it might not be ideal to have on toilet paper but would certainly be workable!

Of course I suppose the wider problem is that this stupid toilet paper stock should never have been adopted in the first place.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Didn't some TOCs restricted the sale of ALRs on board during the Avantix era because of the possibility of payment card misuse?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes I suppose so but there are plenty of day rangers where it might not be ideal to have on toilet paper but would certainly be workable!

Of course I suppose the wider problem is that this stupid toilet paper stock should never have been adopted in the first place.

I've had a rover issued on the toilet paper stock on the Cambrian Coast (a Coaster). Although do ATW use a different system than VTEC?

Alan2603

Thanks all.

My brother managed to buy them (without having to show the railcard, but explained the situation) yesterday at Darlington. I did him a bank transfer and met up with him last night to pick up the tickets.

Currently heading towards Norwich from Peterborough!
Alan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.