buying tickets from a station other than the journey start point

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Ken H, 16 Jun 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken H

Ken H Established Member

I had a west yorks train and bus day ranger but I wanted to get to Settle. I needed to change at Shipley, so I went to the ticket office there and asked for a ticket to complete my journey. A Steeton and Silsden - Settle single
    Northern ticket machines wont sell that ticket that dont start from the machine location.
    I got a funny look off the clerk. But I then showed him my day ranger ticket and he seemed happier.

1. Did he suspect I was going to do something fraudulent? (I can understand that)
    2. Are ticket office clerks supposed to query purchases like mine?
    3. Anyone else had an experience like mine?
    4. Or did I totally misread his body language?

BTW, I got a leccy to skipton which stopped at S&S. 321. nice buzzing in the motor coach!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Best thing to do is buy the ticket online (using a computer or a mobile app) and pick it up from the machine. No "funny looks" that way, and you get Nectar points or cashback as well if you buy from the right TOC. That ticket may well also be available as a mobile phone ticket that you don't need to collect from a machine. Some TOCs have ticket machines that let you buy tickets from other stations but many if not most do not.

4. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

To play devil's advocate:

• You asked for a ticket that probably isn't sold very often at that location
    • Perhaps the clerk was worried that he'd misheard or misunderstood what you asked for
    • The clerk may have wanted to make sure that you wouldn't get in trouble with any revenue protection staff during your journey
    If the clerk refused to sell the ticket to you at all, that'd be a cause for concern. But there are several good reasons for them to have looked confused, or asked you to confirm what ticket you wanted.

I wouldn't worry about this matter at all. If you feel the situation was socially awkward, you could follow radamfi's advice above if you want to avoid it in the future.

5. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

The first two points especially are why I’ve always been taught to repeat back what people ask for. I still do it now out on train, so when someone asks for a return to X, I always say “A return to X, that’s £6.30 please”. Then if I’ve made a mistake, they can correct me there and then before anything is issued. This is more important with unusual purchases or less familiar tickets.

In this case, I agree that the clerk was probably just initially a little confused as to what you’d asked for. There were apparently no issues with them selling it to you, or issues with the tickets validity.

6. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

I can't see any problem here.

7. island

island Established Member

I don’t see an issue here to be honest.

8. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Other than a bit of social awkwardness (possibly), no.

As I don’t think there’s anything further to add, I’ve closed the thread. @Ken H if you do wish to add anything further please drop me a PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.