• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BVE 4 Ashford to Victoria route

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.G.E.Bakker

Hello Everyone

I do have this working route and I am most impressed with it and loaded it
down from the BVE in Kent website. However the route file seems to be missing. Can anyone throw any light on this ?

Cheers,

Ed Bakker
Oxford
New Zealand

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xc170

Yes i just love the scenery it really captures the southern region well!

Adam

guillyman

Yes, great route which captures the Southern atmosphere well. I'm very pleased at last to see it extended into Victoria via my own stomping ground!

I didn't have any trouble downloading the route file, Ed, so maybe you would like to take another look at the site...?

Al. :D

Yes, great route which captures the Southern atmosphere well. I'm very pleased at last to see it extended into Victoria via my own stomping ground!

I didn't have any trouble downloading the route file, Ed, so maybe you would like to take another look at the site...?

Al. :D

Last edited:

E.G.E.Bakker

Hello there and thanks for the responses
I must apologize that I did not phrase my question correctly. I have drive the
route ok, but what is missing is the train timetable. If possible can I have
some help with that?

Best regards
from Oxford New Zealand
Ed Bakker

Pumbaa

Established Member
Hello there and thanks for the responses
I must apologize that I did not phrase my question correctly. I have drive the
route ok, but what is missing is the train timetable. If possible can I have
some help with that?

Best regards
from Oxford New Zealand
Ed Bakker

As far as I can see, there is no timetable included. I've made my own one on a piece of paper.

E.G.E.Bakker

As far as I can see, there is no timetable included. I've made my own one on a piece of paper.

Hello Pumbaa, I did appreciate your comments. Can you e-mail me a copy of your timetable?
I can then work something out myself.
It is a bit tricky to run the route without names of stations and times. Having said that , in the early eighties I lived in Great Chart near Ashford and used to commute into London , but apart from Tonbridge, Sevenoaks, Hildenborough I cannot recall too many stations now being in this part of the world. Offcourse I could look it up on the map, but I need the travelling times as well.

Cheers mate
Ed Bakker

Hello Pumbaa, I did appreciate your comments. Can you e-mail me a copy of your timetable?
It is a bit tricky to run the route without names of stations and times. Having said that , in the early eighties I lived in Great Chart near Ashford and used to commute into London , but apart from Tonbridge, Sevenoaks, Hildenborough I cannot recall too many stations now being in this part of the world. Offcourse I could look it up on the map, but I need the travelling times as well.

Cheers mate
Ed Bakker

Staplehurst, Headcorn, Maidstone East,I, aswell, cannot remember any others. Good few months since I went to London.

Last edited:

Cheers mate
Ed Bakker

I've made a timetable for this route for the BVE4 version, you can now download it from here.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:

dennis63uk

Just downloaded the route today and really enjoyed it all the way to london victoria
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just downloaded the timetable and put it in but cannot get it to work i still get it blank in timetable area.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've not managed to find the route mentioned by the OP, can anyone provide a link to it? I'm quite interested in storming along Kent on something proper and it would make a change to drive on something apart from NWM!

Just downloaded the route today and really enjoyed it all the way to london victoria
Just downloaded the timetable and put it in but cannot get it to work i still get it blank in timetable area.

Hi Dennis,

Have you followed the instructions in the readme?

Don't forget to use a BVE4 train!

@ Techniquest - the route can be downloaded from http://www.mikan.demon.co.uk/john/john.htm

Thanks,
Ryan

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ta, downloaded those now and intend to open them later when back on the PC (my brother's laptop doesn't have BVE4 on it and I ain't gonna spend ages installing it right now either!), however the screenshots posted on the website looked good.

I can't wait to fire up BRR and get the HST storming through Kent! Yeah it's not prototypical but hey!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It may be a tight timetable demanding some agressive driving. By which I mean full power straight away from a station stop and late braking.

E.G.E.Bakker

It may be a tight timetable demanding some agressive driving. By which I mean full power straight away from a station stop and late braking.

Hello everyone,
I fully agree with your comments , this is my experience. Somehow I think it would have been better to have produced this route in BVE2, then at least one does get notice when to start braking when one approaches a station.

Best wishes from down under,
Ed Bakker

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Agree with that, but at the same time it is less realistic that way. Indeed, the way it is set up now means you need to learn the road by driving it a few times. Which whilst harsh on the first couple of times is more prototypical. Of course, in real life you'd have a driver trainer/pilot driver with you for that sort of thing, but hey!
I just tried installing this and I can't for the life of me work out what goes where. I seem to have the .csv in there and have modified it for the traction I wish to drive on it, but it seems to have an issue with the route files itself. I downloaded both of them but the readme supplied with the route seemed merely to list what had been used from other creators and not go into installation of the route.

This is why I appreciate the efforts of those who use .exe for their trains and such, it's so much easier to get things right.

Anyone able to help me with this one? I've got the PC free for me to use for a while and thus run the route, but I can't drive it yet! :(

Agree with that, but at the same time it is less realistic that way. Indeed, the way it is set up now means you need to learn the road by driving it a few times. Which whilst harsh on the first couple of times is more prototypical. Of course, in real life you'd have a driver trainer/pilot driver with you for that sort of thing, but hey!
I just tried installing this and I can't for the life of me work out what goes where. I seem to have the .csv in there and have modified it for the traction I wish to drive on it, but it seems to have an issue with the route files itself. I downloaded both of them but the readme supplied with the route seemed merely to list what had been used from other creators and not go into installation of the route.

This is why I appreciate the efforts of those who use .exe for their trains and such, it's so much easier to get things right.

Anyone able to help me with this one? I've got the PC free for me to use for a while and thus run the route, but I can't drive it yet! :(

If you look on page 2 of the readme, it does have an installation guide of sorts. Copy the SeastV2 folder to Railway\Objects and the Ashford-Victoria
folder to Railway\Routes. Then it should work. Any probs, let us know.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Bizarre, I didn't see that myself. Never mind, I did as you suggested and it seems to load now! :D

Will report back later with any problems or comments. Now to go and storm along Kent with a proper HST! <D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Gotta admit, I don't fancy trying to do that again unless I get a clearer run! Too much crawling at 35mph under 3-aspect signalling with blocks so long that even the Sutton Park line would look like it's set up for high-speed running!

Other problems I encountered:

Timetable failed to load. Granted, whilst it must have been my error when putting the files into BVE4, it made it nigh on impossible to tell where I was or how long I had to reach places.

I mentioned before about long signalling blocks. All fine and well except for the signalling before the first station stop. All of a sudden around the bend a single amber comes up with the station almost directly in front of it with a red at the other end. Having gotten up to line speed, with no warning whatsoever, you can tell the emergency brakes got slammed on. Even then I slid right past the red signal by some way...<(

On the subject of station stops, the lack of car stop signs did nothing to help. Back I went from the overshoot and SPAD, stopped. Got to go back again. OK, this time I saw the platform come into view. Stopped again, not good enough. Back even further, still not good enough. That was enough, the signal had gone green now anyway so I immediately changed my mind. Since I wasn't exactly seeing a timetable, I changed plans and turned it into an express run with no station stops.

On the subject still, when I reached Swanley I hit some sharp double bends before and after the platform. OK fine, I can't remember what the route looks like since I did it in September 2005 so I'll take it as right. What I didn't like was then seeing a PSR for 80mph and then hitting the same sort of double bends again for the next few stations. Suffice to say the amount of leaning it did put the ATP to shame and was a tad scary! My complaint there is there is absolutely no warning whatsoever of sharp double bends, no lower speed restrictions or anything.

Speaking of Swanley, I was annoyed severely by the quick succession of speed restriction changes. Down to 40mph for the junction, yes fine but to have it followed so very quickly by a 25mph limit (I'd only just gotten down to 40 after the brief amount of time allowed by the AWB to slow down!) was not appreciated.

I did like the opportunity to drive down a route I've travelled on, I should say that much. But the lack of AWBs, AWS and 3-aspect signalling (I find it hard to believe a mainline allowing 80mph running would run on 3-aspect signalling, especially non-UK signals!) annoyed me endlessly. Granted, after Maidstone East I did have a faster run but the constant speed up to slow right back down soon after and back through the cycle again kept me to 40mph for most of the last 15 miles.

Even with just fixing the lack of AWS and putting in UK signals would vastly improve the route to me. I do like the speed restriction signs that must have come from photographs for at least some of them, that's a nice touch.

Sadly I reckon this will be like the Barrow to Carlisle route for me (which I've never actually finished) and driven very rarely.:(

Sorry to say this, but have you read the readme that I included with the timetable? In there are perfect instructions on how to get the timetable working.

E.G.E.Bakker

It's not just the timetable I was annoyed with. I'd have fixed that if I hadn't been so keen to just get going!
Hello Everyone
This has become a long thread, let me first of all say that I have the utmost admiration for the person, who created this route, I am still learning to write me own but getting there. I have got the time table working, but indeed it is just very tight. I also find that one really need to get advance notification of stations approaching, that would be a tremendous help. In regards to some stations on the line, there is NO stopping marker, hence once is further delayed to keep to the timetable. Is there a way with BVE4 to get a notice popping up to alert the driver to a station approaching? If someone has mastered that skills, I will be willing to learn how to implent this myself.

Regards from NZ in autum ( still 27c today )
Ed Bakker

Bill EWS

I hope that you don't mind me repeating the comments I made on the Trainsimcentral forum but they do seem to add to this forum discussion.....

I enjoyed the latest update and the extension to Victoria. The scenery looks good even in OpenBVE with only a few object problems. which isn't a bother. However, I had to edit the opening time in the Timetable editor as it was set for a 15 minute wait before departure and so that is OK now.

In BVE4 I didn't appear to get any error messages enroute so didn't get warned when over speeding etc. However, the most serious error is at a number of stations where the line curves around the platforms and the speed is 80mph. This is way too high. these should have a speed restriction of at least 30 mph or the curves straigthtened out to suite the line speed.

In OpenBVE with the programmed train the AWS/TPWS doesn't cancel and sounds continuously with the power applied. For peace of mind I changed the train to the Wessex unit. This unit works OK in regard to control but some of the sounds are not correct.

As this is a WIP further upgrades and corrections will make this a very welcome third rail route.

Update: As good as this route is I have to agree with Techniquest that in it's present state it is not a route I will be inclined to run very often. However, should much of the problems be fixed then this has the makings of being a really great 3rd rail route. Remember at maximum speed a train takes the best part of a mile to come to a stop and coming down for speed restrictions is the same. by degree, therefore you must have sufficient distances between signals, including warning to speed restriction boards and, of course, you must know these braking distances to be able to stop at a signal, station or stop block in time and comfort.

The 'emergency' brake position is meant exactly for that purpose only and should never be operated under normal train running. When I first got to drive trains you would be in for a rollicking from the driver or train inspector if you used the emergency position. I am sure that still stands today.

BillEWS.

Meteosat

Hi all,

Just getting used to BVE 4 and this route - slowly!

Relaly enjoying it... but a few questions.

1. In choosing which train to use, is there one which the prog uses to send a guard's signal to which I then respond?

2. Generally, how do I measure time passing - is it just a question of watching one's own watch/clock?

3. When it says e.g. 4.3 delay - does that mean 4.3 minutes late arriving?

4. On this route is a guards signal sent to indicate OK to leave?

5. I can't find an installation note in the most recent readme.doc - was it just there in a previous one I wonder? I get the two pages with various credits and at the end there is just a reference to some stations which can be passed.

I enjoyed the latest update and the extension to Victoria. The scenery looks good even in OpenBVE with only a few object problems. which isn't a bother. However, I had to edit the opening time in the Timetable editor as it was set for a 15 minute wait before departure and so that is OK now.

BillEWS.

Could you let me know which line in the that is in the route file?

Thanks in advance for your patience folks - as I live in Wales I hope one day to be able to see or make a local route.

Cheers

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where to get the trains for the Ashford - Victoria route?

I've got the route - but no trains.

If you do know where to get them can you email me on:

[email protected]

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.