• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BVE 4 HST [Now Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
Stooopid said:
What does WSI mean? The light keeps on flashing.

Wheelslip indicator. If it keeps flashing you're probably applying too much power too soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
I'm very grateful to being able to play it at Acton and even more grateful that it's been released!

wumpty

Finally I'm able to log in again.

We're glad you like it. I think a small patch will be released at the weekend, as there are a few tiny issues that will need fixing.

- Brake release delay
- Other brake problem
- Train length inaccuracy

James I'll have a look at the 'harsh braking' below 20mph too. I'd not noticed myself, but best to make sure I've got the numbers correct.

In response to the few questions about lights and switches, there is a labelled jpg file in the HST4/d3d showing what most of the stuff on the desk does.

Cheers
Steve

eezypeazy

Just to say....

OH! MY! WORD!

What a superb piece of work.... just downloaded this MAGNIFICENT train and tried it on my diverted HST run on the Tyne Valley.... the sound is ASTONISHING!

Congratulations to everyone involved in this superb release....

eezypeazy

evil_hippo

This is definitely the best BVE experience I've ever had, coming in a whisker above the 37. Well done to all involved! There was already a HST and it's so great to see people putting in such hard work just to make things even better for us.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
well just downloaded it, got to take it over to my rig and have a go in a bit :)

ChrisA

dennis63uk said:
Reaaly great train.. As i've driven it on Maybank Night Route as well. Went whizzing past a station i suppose to stop at

If you're thinking of Frankly Jucntion, i did exactly the same! Saw the approching station, said "oh sh*t" (hope PA isn't on!) and slammed on the emergency brakes. Managed to stop just in time!

richa2002

Established Member
I did the exact same thing! I don't think the emergency brakes would have stopped me in time as I was going about 100MPH :?

nutter

I haven't gone through a station i was supposed to stop at for ages. I'm starting to miss not knowing where the next station is. I like the brakes though, they pretty good.

I did something I haven't done in ages last night, I tripped the TPWS going into the station after Frankley Junc. (can't remember name). Thats how good the brakes are, I was doing 40mph

I have to say, I love the sounds but also don't like them because there so loud the crakle on my earphones. I have the sound as quiet ahs is reasonable but it's still to loud. Great train though

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Isn't it a better way to leave the brakes on and have it in notch 1 to ensure power is flowing through both locomotives, then take the brakes off? Or should this mainly apply to take-offs? Starting in notch 2 in BVE I always seemed to thunder away a little too quickly in the HST I used way back when, as if the rest of the train was not behind it. I'm sure it applys to freight, not sure when it comes to passenger services, but I'm informed when taking off you should put it into notch 1, wait until the rest of the train is moving with you then continue as you would normally through the notches until the correct speed was reached.

richa2002

Established Member
I like it how when you apply power you can hear the engine revving up and then you start moving. Very realistic :D

I really like it. I'm not the biggest of HST fans but it seems to have captured that HST character.

I'm no expert on the HST but are they really so slow to accelerate from about 90 to 125mph - or have I just been driving too many MUs? Just seems a little underpowered at the top end, but as I said, I am no expert.

But then again, I am a perfectionist and I am petty lol. But I really like it, most stuff seems to be just right. With this being the latest in a line fo fantastic BVE addons from TSC, I can't wait for their next release!

In a HST when you start off you have to be careful becasue of the rear pwercar. The rear powercar supplies the ETS to the train and is on higher amps. If you start off in notch 2 or above, the rear powercar will accelerate a little faster than the front and bash into the coaches causing quite a jerk which can cause wear and tear and is uncomfortable to passengers. to avoid this, you should start off in notch 1 to gain the amps and roll forward, when you begin to pick up a little speed and the rest of the train is moving you should put it into notch 2 to gain mroe power. Hold it into notch 2 until about 10mph and then notch up slowly until you get to notch 5 just after 20mph. Also, when powering down you have to be careful becasue if you went straight down through the notches, the front powercar would shut off but there is a bit of a time delay between the front one shutting off and the rear ones, so the rear one would still be in power and hit the back of the train. Also, if you shut off completely in one go, it can cause a flashover. The throttle is controlling the flow of electricity down to the traction motors adn if the supply is cut off all of a sudden, the electricity has nowhere to go. Obviously this doenst happen in BVE4, but would happen in real life.

richa2002

Established Member
Thanks for your advice James. Will try that next time I'm driving it.
--- edited ---
Another good thing I have noticed is that it has a very good shutting down sound. It makes the journey more satisfying being able to shut it down :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good advice James. I'll bear it in mind when I'm driving next in BVE, but I'd never have imagined hammering it into notch 5 when at 20mph! Certainly not the way I drive on Maybank!

Also nice to hear a shut-down sound too, will make it feel more real. Bring on my driving of this beast! I can see me doing a 2-hour marathon on it already!

Coxster

Established Member
You're not meant to apply full power in HSTs in stations anyway are you?...

Tomnick

Established Member
I thought the rear power car didn't take power until the power handle was in notch 3 or above, or something like that? Could've been imagining things, of course!

The revs mean that it takes power at about notch 3 yes. So if you put it into notch 3 at 10mph it wont hit the rear of the train. ;)

bloogrape

few problems with the HST

not sure if they been listed but here is what i noticed,

scrolling left will show a slight clitch and allow outside of cab view show up in about a 3-4pixel wide margin,

when braking the engine shuts down completley and wont power up unless shifted back down to 0 then up again (is this spose to be like this?) its annoying and also its realy of putting when you brake and the power up again at around 60mph and it sounds like its just powering up from idle!

also in maybank... not sure what the hell is going on here but when using other trains. but when i reached radley junct and then wait while passengers load... when i pull out the platform siding it basicly crashs and do's nothing, when i right click i get nothing but then a left click after will bring sound back but stil nothing moving.. in thr 170 and 220 cab views it is fine, only in the hst...??? i think its a cab error not route.

also buzzer.... cant it have a whisle instead? would be nicer

apart from that i thank you for the great realease and i think its done real nice.

wumpty

bloogrape said:
scrolling left will show a slight clitch and allow outside of cab view show up in about a 3-4pixel wide margin,

Screenshot? Nothing like that visible on my machine.

when braking the engine shuts down completley and wont power up unless shifted back down to 0 then up again (is this spose to be like this?) its annoying and also its realy of putting when you brake and the power up again at around 60mph and it sounds like its just powering up from idle!

Yes, like every other train - the engine shuts down when you brake or you'll burn the brake pads off. You're meant to shut off power before braking anyway?

also in maybank... not sure what the hell is going on here but when using other trains. but when i reached radley junct and then wait while passengers load... when i pull out the platform siding it basicly crashs and do's nothing, when i right click i get nothing but then a left click after will bring sound back but stil nothing moving.. in thr 170 and 220 cab views it is fine, only in the hst...??? i think its a cab error not route.

Try downloading the route/train again, as this is unpresidented.

also buzzer.... cant it have a whisle instead? would be nicer

You want this to be realistic? There is a buzzer not a whistle on a HST set.

richa2002

Established Member
The beeps really add to the experience as I'm always listening out for them in real life so I know when to start a vid of the HST revving up :D

bloogrape

wumpty said:
Screenshot? Nothing like that visible on my machine.

Yes, like every other train - the engine shuts down when you brake or you'll burn the brake pads off. You're meant to shut off power before braking anyway?

Try downloading the route/train again, as this is unpresidented.

You want this to be realistic? There is a buzzer not a whistle on a HST set.

will download maybank again, as for the screeny il take one later when im on it.
just a quick note.. is anybody here good at making routes for bve?

Status
Not open for further replies.