• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BVE 4 in new display resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
Hi

I've been doing a bit of experimentation with this using a plasma screen with native resolution 1360 x 768. Using the graphics card tools it is being run with a 90 degree pivot i.e. on its side. However, when BVE is run with these settings, it is very unstable and crashes after a couple of stations. Has anybody else had any similar symptoms? I was using the first version of the program and subsequent releases may have run better.

Cheers

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reschanger

I've been doing a bit of experimentation with this using a plasma screen with native resolution 1360 x 768. Using the graphics card tools it is being run with a 90 degree pivot i.e. on its side. However, when BVE is run with these settings, it is very unstable and crashes after a couple of stations.
So when running a 1360x768 screen 90° pivoted, the resolution would be 768x1360 (because it's on its side) and the corresponding aspect ratio would be 0.5647059. However, neither 1360x768 nor 768x1360 should be a resolution your graphics card would natively support (it's non-standard), so I guess you ran the whole thing in fullscreen then and it became unstable because of that incompatibility. That's how I would explain it. For a list of compatible resolutions just open the properties of the desktop (right click -> properties), go to the right-most tab and see what is selectable (applies to Windows XP). If you're using window mode or I got the whole idea wrong, then I still practiced my imagination well.

Tom B

Established Member
Hi

You're pretty much spot on. I tried it both in Windowed and in Full Screen - the crashing was in fullscreen, windowed was very jerky. That's a thought, I'd not considered the graphics card, will look into it. I suppose it's an occupational hazard of using a funny shaped screen!

dennis63uk

Best resolution i can run in with TFT Monitors here is 1024 by 768 32bit in full screen mode. One monitor is running in VGA and the other one in DVI which is capable of receiving HDTV as have been experimenting with it. In any other resolution BVE 4.2 crashes on me

reschanger

Tom B said:
I suppose it's an occupational hazard of using a funny shaped screen!
You might also want to try putting christmas-tree-shaped CDs into your CD ROM drive and see if it starts spinning or just breaking.:D

Best resolution i can run in with TFT Monitors here is 1024 by 768 32bit in full screen mode.
Interesting, because we couldn't have don THAT before.:D

Ok, and now seriously.

I have problems imagining all of that. And you're not the only ones reporting that BVE crashed. How exactly does BVE "crash". Do you get an error message when starting, do you see at least something on screen, can you drive for a while and then when you least expected it, etc. That would be interesting now.

I probably can only say the thing one more time, hoping that's what's causing the problems. In fullscreen, the resolution can be arbitrarily set in the tool but must still be supported by the graphics card (and monitor) for it to properly work (the tool does not check against that). The easiest way of finding that out would probably have to be XP's desktop properties (right tab then) and looking what is available from the slider.

Tom B

Established Member
It generally works for a short while, then crashes - exactly where you least expect it. Leaving Belsize Park on the Northern having started there, for example - nothing there which is special or out of the ordinary. Running it unpivoted seems to be fine, so as you say it may well be that asking it to pivot as well is causing the gfx card to throw the dummy out of the pram. The crash takes the form of freezing followed a few seconds later by a BSOD and reboot. I'll take a look at the graphics card and let you know.

reschanger

The crash takes the form of freezing followed a few seconds later by a BSOD and reboot.
Blue Screens of Death are only possible in Window XP when in kernel mode. Programs run in user mode. The only things that run in kernel mode are device drivers, so it seems like a buggy driver to me. Try downloading a new driver (or if you have the newest then try an older one). A longer while ago I also had some random crashes in BVE and it resulted from a buggy sound driver. Updating the driver solved the problem for me.

Muppet

Thanks Muppet. I don't have MSN running on my computer. Perhaps another programme is causing the same problem!

Cheers.

BilllEWS.

If you got any other applications running in the background try turning them off to see if it solves the flickering :)

FusionRail

thanks for this.. it really looks better on my 19" highdef monitor.. and its brilliant in window mode as i can have it any size depending on what im doing. cheers

reschanger

Now isn't this interesting: Someone translated the program into Chinese and hosted it on their website. I never really thought about the possibility of translating it for users who don't speak English, but obviously someone felt it was necessary. Releasing the source code has therefore finally paid off. See http://www.konkyu.net/ for that purpose...

richa2002

Established Member
This worked well before but it's now cocked up on me, when I use it, the sim is very very slow, about a frame every 5 seconds. Any ideas?

rocky4427

can you give me an example on how to put new display resolutions in my BVE4 folder pls

D306

Established Member
install the program into the normal BVE4 folder, then when you want to change it, you need to go into the destination folder, then the installer is in there under a folder called reschanger.

Tom B

Established Member
can you give me an example on how to put new display resolutions in my BVE4 folder pls

This is the second time you've made a post like this - it explains quite clearly how to use the program, it's a very simple application to use.

reschanger

I hope that some users still play BVE 2. Take a look at the screenshot, please. This is an actual working example.

Only thing: The cab image cannot be resized, so it can be left-aligned, centered or right-aligned at the bottom. Not perfect, but acceptable for 440x200 cabs. For the ones extending into the 3D view, it will be catastrophic.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1038/bve2preview2qy7.jpg

The BVE 2 version will be available soon.

EDIT: What will be available in the final version:
- You can play:
- the standard way (bottom bar with smiley etc., right bar with ats lamps, signal preview, etc.)
- entirely fullscreen with a minimalistic version of the previews, lamps etc. at one of the corners
- entirely fullscreen with only the cab at the bottom (e.g. centered) and nothing else similiar to BVE 4
- You can switch the signal preview on and off
- You can switch the station preview on and off
- Maybe some color changes if you want (background, ats lamps, etc...)
- More things to come...

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Take a look at the screenshot (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bve2preview2qy7.jpg) again: Much of the screen space is wasted for higher resolutions. The bottom pane and the right pane will mostly stay gray and therefore much of the screen space is just wasted.

I have therefore played around with some control rearrangements. The final version will offer multiple choices for the layout much like these (fakes):

Layout 0 (classic): http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bve2layout0fy1.jpg
Layout 1 (condensed): http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bve2layout1vr0.jpg
Layout 2 (compact with cab): http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3613/bve2layout2il6.jpg
Layout 2 (compact w/o cab): http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bve2layout2bc3.jpg
Layout 3 (entire screen): http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bve2layout3gm4.jpg

Note that these images are actually fakes, because I need to know how to align them first before I can start coding them, which takes some time to do and I need to make sure. Also, the 3D view will of course not be stretched, I just did the images in Paint the dirty way.

Please comment on this. I can try to take any wish into account.

reschanger

There is a new thread open for the BVE 2 version:
http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16516

Please post here only what concerns the BVE 4 version of the tool from now on. And by the way, there will be a new version for BVE 4 available in around 1 or 2 weeks together with the official release of the BVE 2 version.

reschanger

The new version 1.0.0.15 is available. This version allows you to enable a new effect: Normally, BVE will introduce new parts of the scenery in blocks of 25m, which will abruptly appear at the horizon. You can move the background image (which is placed at 600m) closer to the camera (e.g. by 25m), so that new parts of the scenery will be introduced behind the background image and as you drive along your route, the scenery will smoothy glide out of the background image into view.

Flyboy

As I mentioned on another thread, everytime I exit BVE4 after using ResChanger in Custom mode 1900x1200 I get the blue screen of death. My Dell Dimension uses an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE graphics driver, version 6.14.11.6371

The error is :

nv4_disp.dll - Address BF0C5B72 Base at BF012000

Any ideas?

Flyboy

Update - Using Ctrl-Alt-Delete to exit BVE solves the blue screen problem, but remember to ignore the "Quit BVE" window that appears, task manager will get rid of that after a few seconds.

Thanks for the advice.

What's the B stand for? Bolton, Bury?

Batley, as attended by the scientist, polymath and discoverer of oxygen and many other gases - Joseph B Priestley. In my day it was an all boys school as yours is, but just after I left they started letting those giggling girl types in, just my flippin' luck!

Last edited:

E.G.E.Bakker

I have loaded the attachment, thanks. My question is I like to run BVE 4 with a smaller screen, but the signals come out blurred. Can you advise me how to deal with that issue? This comment relates to Recharger's message regarding BVE4 in different disaplays.

Much obliged.
regards,

Ed Bakker

This is really great thank you. Now i can play in a window the size of mu screen and actually get playable framerates unlike fullscreen which just ruins it all :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I dont use bve 2 but i use a lot of bve 2 routes and trains in bve 4 which have much better frame rates than bve 4 goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.