• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BVE For Apple Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harold

It's a possibility that BVE could come out for Apple Mac

It may not be popular, but it would allow Apple Mac users to run BVE on their PC

so it would make sense to release BVE for Apple

HBA135

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
It would make sense to see ports for both mac and linux as so many people are leaving the microsoft world even if at a slow pace! my main reason for not going totally reliant on linux is because I am unable to run things like BVE4.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
well seeing as mackoy forbids the engineering of his code... to a degree yes! I don't know a lot about mac's but I would guess it would be hard for us for that reason. It probably wouldn't be hard for mackoy however.

T

Tom

Ahahaha. Got .NET working on CentOS in WINE last night! ;)

Tom B

Established Member
TBH the demand for BVE on a mac would be small... you could try using an emulator though, but porting .net over might be difficult.

T

Tom

Mac is a *BSD base so it's pretty easy to port it over from Linux.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
i'd try but I don't currently have a mac to hand, let alone a pc that runs BVE4 without crashing lol!

joeholmes

TC have you stopped the idea for this now or are you still playing around with it!

(FIRST POST WITH MY NEW APPLE MAC)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
w00t w00t, you have a mac, whats it like??? I get discount off apple computers lol. I fancy one on those little white mac computers they do!!!

joeholmes

Well thanks for telling me that you can get discounts now HstFan!! lol,

Basically My Computa is a iMac G5

More Specifically, tis a 160GB Hard Drive, 512mb Ram, 2.something GHz of Something and a Raidion 7000 or something Vid Card..

Im awfull with computers so Apple Mac is easyer for me :D:D

Joe

PS It is love-o-ly and fast though

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
is it user friendly for someone who has never touched on mac before, I have only briefly used a mac in dixons and found the eject button on the keyboard highly entertaining! :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
Now after several dud CD-Rs (which were duly dealt with by a 9.81m/s^2 brick :D) I have managed to burn myself a KNOPPIX CD, which I'm currently typing from... now, if TC can get BVE4 working under Linux I will be very happy to say goodbye to Bindoze!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I'm preparing day by day to leave bindoze! The second I buy my mac mini will be the second I never turn back to windows, well I'll keep using til my mac turns up and then this pc will resort to being my errrr...... my music stand! well I might replace a few parts and use it as a media center.

btw, whats the Knoppix like?

Tom B

Established Member
Well - it's the only Linux I've used, so I can't make huge comparisons.

BUT it's 10x better than Bindoze, the only issue is being CD-based there's a slight lag sometimes, and it can't access my NTFS HDD, but otherwise it's fine. Might not be able to use Knoppix permanently - but it's an excellent way to @put your toes in@ to Linux.

I'm happy :D.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
you should be able to read an ntfs hard drive, but it will only write to fat and ext3 or whatever the linux partition is called these days! I managed to read ntfs, only way to access my mp3's, you might be better of getting a hard drive install and partitioning (I found it easier to get two hdd's and make one for bindoze and one for linux) I've never used a mac really, well a few times in the shop, so don't know what to expect lol!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
right, just been thinking about bve on the mac, depending on how well virtualpc runs under mac maybe it could be possible to run it under that but I fear it would be a bit laggy. :?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
lol I ran windows 98 and xp under virtual pc and it isn't the best thing is it! :lol:

joeholmes

Has TC thought of a method or given up..... Cos ive spent a while trying to understand.... and just gave up...

lol

Joe

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
i'll endoubtly look into it when I get my mac but that may not be til like christmas lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.