• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bve4 Hst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbostar

Done a BVE4 Edinburgh to Aberdeen run during the weekend in a HST, & I was wondering, with all the refurbishments going on with various HST operators, both power cars & coaches, does anyone know if the cab environment has changed? I mean, do you still have the old AWS bell & buzzer sounds, like in the current BVE4 HST, or has it been changed in recent years through refurbishment? I'm asking as if so, I would like to change my HST4 sounds to be what they are today, for realism. Thanks.

Mart

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbostar

Yeh, I know about the cab refurbishments. I was on about the AWS stuff etc. on pre-refurbished power cars, as in the HST on BVE4. Wasn't sure if the bell & buzzer had changed with the updates over the past year or so with TPWS etc.

Mart

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Bells have all been retained on TPWS fitted trains, but on those with air horns for caution these have been replaced with an electronic tone, as on modern trains. HSTs though, whilst having a bell for clear, always have had an electronic tone for caution, so this has stayed the same. I'm not at all sure about the current MTU refurbishments though, but I can't see why they would change it.

Muppet

After consulting my freind at Old Oak Common He did a test on 43175 which has had MTU and they still have all the old AWS systems Bell and Horn etc

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I had a HST from Bedford to Leicester today, with 43047 leading, and when I got off I noticed that it had had major changes to the instrument pannel. The instruments were all recessed (looked rarther like the APT-P cabs actually), and it had new style buttons. I didn't get a very good look though, since it was putting out when I noticed it (I'd nipped up to the front to get a photo before it left, although sadly I timed it wrong to get the VP185 seriously clagging). After that, I looked at all the other HST cabs I could, and all of those were normal. I don't know if this is further refurbishment work MML are carrying out on the HSTs (I think the powercars were really just painted to start with), or just a one off. I wouldn't be suprised if the FGW and GNER refurbishments won't end up similar.

Boxcars

Something I read a couple of years ago implied that, like the Deltics, the HSTs were on their way out. Does all this refurbishment work mean they're going to be around for years to come. I do hope so.

Turbostar

If I'm correct, I think they're concentrating on the FGW refurbishment first, then the GNER & MML after, but the FGW is priorty I think.

Mart

Boxcars

Mart 158741 said:
If I'm correct, I think they're concentrating on the FGW refurbishment first, then the GNER & MML after, but the FGW is priorty I think.

Mart

Music to my ears. :cheers: Paddington to Penzance is the route I travel on the most. Nice to know I'll still be able to hang out the window along the Dawlish sea wall etc. HSTs are proper trains IMHO

devon_metro

Established Member
According to Jim, Brush are employing more people so that the average turnover for MTU fitting will be 30days

Status
Not open for further replies.