• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BVE4 sudden problem! runs for a bit or just runs slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hi all,

I've ran into a bit of a problem with my BVE4. I have gone back to using BVE after installing my nVidia GFX card and it runs, but usually only until a certain point the picture stops but the sounds carry on (say you were approaching a tunnel and froze just before the tunnel, the sounds carry on as if you were still driving into the tunnel).

I read that BVE doesn't like nVidia cards so should update the driver, which I have, but I'm still getting the same problem. On NWM, I get 5.0FPS, which is stupid really, compared to my Intel On-board graphics card I had ran much better, and was only 64MB GFX!

I also have the DXdiag set to Basic Acceleration on the sound menu.

PD Spec:

HP Compaq d230 MT
256 MB nVidia GFX card
Internal Sound Card (up-to-date has never caused me problems, drivers up-to-date)
768 MB of RAM
DirectX 9

Cheers,

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
My built in card (12fps 256MB ATI) is appalling compared to my laptop (25fps 256Mb Intel GMA)

I think BVE prefers to have RAM than Graphics Memory, as you say, it copes with 64mb!

mbonwick

Established Member
My own experience supports the RAM over GFX thing. What card have you got? Sounds like a driver issue to me.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
hi nick,

as i said in my post:

PC Spec:

256 MB nVidia GFX card
768 MB of RAM
I have updated the GFX card before i posted this, downloaded/installed it from the nVidia website. the driver version as listed on my PC is 6.14.11 dated 16/05/2008. Doesnt seem to be any newer ones yet.

Im tempted to buy the ATi Radeon GFX card ive been looking at, is Radeon good on BVE?

mbonwick

Established Member
We need the actual card, eg. nvidia 8800gt, 7800gs etc etc

Also, I've never come across that driver version from nVIDIA before. Have you used their driver tool to get the latest drivers?

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Ah i see sorry,

Its a nVidia 6200.

The driver i got from nvidia.com and the version etc I got from My Computer/Properties/Hardware devices.

Cheers,

James.

class 313

Established Member
My built in card (12fps 256MB ATI) is appalling compared to my laptop (25fps 256Mb Intel GMA)

I think BVE prefers to have RAM than Graphics Memory, as you say, it copes with 64mb!

If anyone remembers, I mentioned this a lot ages back. It is more to do with RAM than your GPU.

I'm Insane

Hi, I also have been having graphics related issues with bve, I recently bought a nvidia geforce 9400 gt, it runs great at first at 40fps average, but then it drops down to about five randomly, and when i close bve the blue screen comes up. I know bve doesn't like nvidias but does anyone have a solution?

devon_metro

Established Member
hi nick,

as i said in my post:

PC Spec:

256 MB nVidia GFX card
768 MB of RAM
I have updated the GFX card before i posted this, downloaded/installed it from the nVidia website. the driver version as listed on my PC is 6.14.11 dated 16/05/2008. Doesnt seem to be any newer ones yet.

Im tempted to buy the ATi Radeon GFX card ive been looking at, is Radeon good on BVE?

I have a Radeon 9550.

It was AWFUL!

mbonwick

Established Member
Hi, I also have been having graphics related issues with bve, I recently bought a nvidia geforce 9400 gt, it runs great at first at 40fps average, but then it drops down to about five randomly, and when i close bve the blue screen comes up. I know bve doesn't like nvidias but does anyone have a solution?

Not a lot really you can do. Keep trying the latest drive for your card when they become available, and pray!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Whilst it is often said that nVidia cards are good for gaming, for some reason this doesn't follow with BVE4. I've used Radeon cards for BVE4 before (don't ask which as I've forgotten), seemed to work OK.

But yes, the graphics card needs lots of RAM on it as well as the more usual RAM. Of which DDR is the best, but you've got to be careful to match the correct number of pins and bus speed. Either way, I use BVE4 on less DDR RAM than you have and with less graphical capability, so I'm fathomed.

At the end of the day, the only things I can suggest would be to be 100% sure the system isn't trying to only use the graphical capability built into the system. If it is doing it correctly, then the only other thing that can be wrong is that a piece of hardware is not functioning correctly. In which case, that needs to be dealt with (replaced, new bought, whatever).

Do keep us up to date with any developments James.

class 313

Established Member
Thing is no one listens to you :lol: ;)

Shows they are missing out 8)

BVE just doesn't work properly with nVidia on Vista, works better on XP but still not perfect. Though saying that BVE worked fine on a geforce 4600ti

Last edited:

I'm Insane

It's annoying cos it worked fine on the ati radeon xpress on-board graphics, hopefully it'll work when the next driver comes out...

Status
Not open for further replies.