• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BVG All Zones ticket questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm planning a daytrip to Berlin, I'm going to use a day ticket for Zones ABC.
Does anyone know how much this costs and whether I can use it on RB/RE services within the zones?

I assume I can purchase this at Schoenefeld Airport station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
A day ticket for Berlin zone ABC costs € 7,70 and can be bought anywhere - just look for a ticket vending machine.

You can use the ticket on all regional public transport within the Berlin ABC area; this means S-Bahn, U-Bahn, bus, trams, and regional trains (RB/RE). You're not allowed to use Fernverkehrszuge (long distance trains) as these have their own tariff system.

If you're not sure, just look for a VBB logo on the vehicle:

120px-VBB-Logo.svg.png

radamfi

Established Member
When you walk from the terminal to the station, there are at least 10 machines in the subway. You can set the language to English and they accept credit cards.

Alternatively you can do what I do and buy from the DB app and have it as a mobile ticket.

M28361M

The DB ticket machines are touch screen and have an English language button, from memory I think you need to press a button marked "VBB tickets" to see the Berlin day ticket options. Don't forget to stamp your ticket in the validator on the platform before getting on the train.

There is a BVG phone app available with a journey planner which shows S-Bahn and regional trains as well as the BVG's own services. This might be useful for you if you're planning on using lots of trains that day.

The RE7 or RB14 regional trains are usually the fastest way to get to the city centre stations from the airport, they run every 30 minutes throughout most of the day. The S-Bahn also runs to the airport but will be a slower journey.

Veteran Member
When I was last there, some years back, there were BVG machines in the arrivals hall at SXF. There is a handful of IC services on which VBB tickets are accepted, but I thin these are outside the Zones. Enjoy, especially the overland trams in the East.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Thanks
Does anyone have any suggestions for any interesting journeys?

ooo

There's some central sections of the u bahn which are above ground with good views which are worth a journey but I'm afraid I can't quite remember which lines they were

radamfi

Established Member
There's some central sections of the u bahn which are above ground with good views which are worth a journey but I'm afraid I can't quite remember which lines they were

A bit of the U2 north of the city centre is above ground.

M28361M

The U1 from the terminus at Warschauer Straße to just after Gleisdreieck station is elevated. Just after departing Warschauer Straße you pass over the famous bridge over the River Spree, the Oberbaumbrücke which is a famous Berlin landmark and well worth the short walk from Warschauer Straße to see from street level.

The U2 emerges to run on a viaduct between Wittenbergplatz and Mendelssohn-Bartholdy-Park (Wittenbergplatz is underground but the U2 trains toward Pankow climb out of the tunnel onto a viaduct shortly after)

There is also the Stadtbahn (S-Bahn lines S5, S7 and S75) between Ostbahnhof and Charlottenburg which is an elevated line running east-west through the city centre.

All of the above offer some great views of Berlin, although annoyingly all the U-Bahn trains have an anti-graffiti film applied to the windows with a pattern of the Brandenburg Gate which can make it difficult to see out.

Thanks

The U55 from Hauptbahnhof to Brandenburg Gate is an interesting ride - intended to be part of an extension of the U5, funding problems led to the project being postponed, except for this short three-station shuttle service which opened to avoid Berlin having to repay a federal grant. It's not connected yet to any other part of the U-Bahn and service is just one short train shuttling back and forth, with cavernous stations that are very underused. The missing link to Alexanderplatz to meet up with the U5 is expected to be completed in the next few years. I believe as well that BVG have pressed old 1950s "Dora" trains into service on the U55 to free up more modern stock for use elsewhere.

Some of the stations at the western end of U3 are architecturally quite interesting. Krumme Lanke's station building is said to be the inspiration for Charles Holden's Piccadilly Line stations; Dahlem-Dorf's ticket hall has a thatched roof. Heidelberger Platz has a cavernous interior with ornate lighting.

Wittenbergplatz station has a grand Art Nouveau entrance hall, and on one of the platforms is a Tube roundel, donated by London Transport in 1953.

U-Bahnfreund

Berlin's Circle Line - the S41/S42 Ringbahn services are also interesting and show different parts of the city.

I strongly recommend a tour on Berlin's extensive tram system: especially the subnetwork in Köpenick (6x lines) are very nice. Also, there are two special independent tram lines to the East of Berlin: the Schöneiche-Rüdersdorf tram from Berlin-Friedrichshagen station and the Woltersdorf tram from Berlin-Rahnsdorf station, both operated with rather historic trams from the 1960s. The Woltersdorf tram terminus is also close to BVG line 61's terminus in the middle of a forest, very nice.

If you want to have a better overview of the system, I'd recommend you to buy the BVG Atlas, which not only contains a street map, but also various line diagrams and other information.

paddington

There are so many interesting journeys to take in Berlin that I find I keep needing to go back.

Only the U6-9 are a bit boring being entirely underground.

At SXF station, if you see a queue at the first set of ticket machines (in the tunnel under the platforms), just walk along a bit further, and you will find plenty more machines with no queue. There may even be some on the platforms, I can't remember. (Also I really hope that TXL stays open, because SXF and the airlines that serve it are horrible)

Now that mobile data generally costs the same across most of Europe, the only reasons to use ticket machines are if you want to buy a ticket using cash or if you are ideologically opposed to mobile tickets.

Veteran Member
If you have time various overland tram routes in the Eastern suburbs, of which IMO the line to Woltersdorf from Rahnsdorf is the most interesting.

If you follow alex397's other suggestion below and do the Schoeneiche line, check the timetable to get a non-accessible vehicle, which will be a vintage one. The accessible ones are Tatras with a low-floor centre car added - still old, but not so rare.

Last edited:

alex397

Established Member
Thanks

If you get time and are a fan of trams, head out into the eastern suburbs on S-Bahn line S3 . These are different from the BVG trams, as they are individual lines operated by private companies (but as they are part of the VBB zone, you can use a day ticket). Change at Friedrichshagen for tram 88 (operated by SRS) - You can ride on old Tatra and Duewag trams, through suburbs and countryside. Travel to the next station on the S-Bahn at Rahnsdorf for tram 87 (operated by Woltersdorfer Straßenbahn) where you can ride through a forest on trams dating from 1960. If you are a fan of trams, this is an absolute must. Its rare to find in Germany (or Western Europe as a whole), trams of such vintage working in ordinary service on isolated lines run by small companies.
You can see my pictures here of the Woltersdorfer trams ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/loughtonkid/albums/72157675414772202 ) and the SRS trams ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/loughtonkid/albums/72157677022348315 )

Bus 100 (Zoologischer Garten to Alexanderplatz) is great for a bit of tourism and the iconic MAN Lion's City double-deckers.
Travel a bit further to Messedamm, where you can catch vintage bus route 218 through the Grunewald forest to Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island). If I remember correctly, the route is half-hourly, but hourly it is run by ordinary BVG Mercedes Citaros, and hourly by vintage double-deckers. - check the 218 timetable on the BVG website, and it should show the vintage journeys.

As already mentioned, the U1 line is elevated, so that is a must. It is also the oldest U-Bahn line in Berlin, I think. There are so many other great things to see with Berlin's transport. I have been 3 times, and still haven't covered everything I would like.

As you're travelling into Schonefeld, you can buy a ticket there from the machines at the station, where a day ticket covers the airport. Quickest option is using the regional trains (RE). S-Bahn takes longer, as stops at more stops. There is also the option of catching the bus link to the U-Bahn (line U3), but this takes longer (if you're travelling to the centre), but is more interesting if you wanted a bus and U-Bahn.

It is probably my favourite European city for both transport and culture, so enjoy exploring!

U-Bahnfreund

There is also the option of catching the bus link to the U-Bahn (line U3), but this takes longer (if you're travelling to the centre), but is more interesting if you wanted a bus and U-Bahn.

Note, the U-Bahn from Rudow is the U7, not the U3. Bus links between Schönefeld and Rudow are routes X7 and 171.

dutchflyer

Established Member
From what I remember, the longer of those trams out of Berlin is not fully in zone C!
If you have never been there and have some interest in soviet-era DDR housing/environment, indeed the many traims and also S-bahnen to Marcahn/Reinickendorf should be on your list, though do it daytime and avoid the dark/dusk. Also go for the Stasi Museum for some insight.
The dayticket is indeed for 1 day-till close of service or 3.00 when night buses run, and not 24 hrs.

Veteran Member
From what I remember, the longer of those trams out of Berlin is not fully in zone C!
If you have never been there and have some interest in soviet-era DDR housing/environment, indeed the many traims and also S-bahnen to Marcahn/Reinickendorf should be on your list, though do it daytime and avoid the dark/dusk. Also go for the Stasi Museum for some insight.
The dayticket is indeed for 1 day-till close of service or 3.00 when night buses run, and not 24 hrs.

Alt-Rüdersdorf is definitely in Zone C, as is Woltersdorf.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Re Marcahn, quite! I went there a few years ago because of my interest in Cold War history. When I went in a bar the friendly barman said, "what are doing in this dump?!" As you say, don't go after dark. Full of neo Nazi thugs.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I also recommend a visit to Gatow airfield if you like seeing loads of cold war era planes from both sides. Get there by bus from Spandau, then take the bus on to Kladow, ferry F10 (you can use your ticket) across to Wansee then pick up the S Bahn.

Sadly the nearby S Bahn museum is now closed.

Established Member

I don't think you mean Reinickendorf, that was in the West and is actually quite a pleasant area - it's where I usually stay when I visit Berlin. Marzahn, on the other hand - you don't get much more DDR than that!

I'd like to echo a previous comment about Köpenick's tram network - it's also a lovely part of Berlin in its own right. If you want to go straight to the old town, Spindlersfeld station on the S47 is actually closer than Köpenick station on the S3. If you're a beer drinker, be sure to check out the Schlossplatzbrauerei there, Germany's smallest brewery!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.