• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

By train to kefalonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
I have just been for a week in Kefalonia

Many years ago we went from Warwick to Palermo by train and we thought going to kef by train would be fun. train 1 way, back by squeezy-jet

So we thought train to Bari or Brindisi then ferry to Sami on Kef. But its an 18 hr ferry crossing :(

or to Athens via Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade,Athens, Patras, then ferry to Poros.

Any comments about how feasible that is would be welcome. or alternative routes.

Dont have to use Eurostar, ferry would be OK. live in Yorkshire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfonso

I have just been for a week in Kefalonia

Many years ago we went from Warwick to Palermo by train and we thought going to kef by train would be fun. train 1 way, back by squeezy-jet

So we thought train to Bari or Brindisi then ferry to Sami on Kef. But its an 18 hr ferry crossing :(

or to Athens via Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade,Athens, Patras, then ferry to Poros.

Any comments about how feasible that is would be welcome. or alternative routes.

Dont have to use Eurostar, ferry would be OK. live in Yorkshire.
Perfectly feasible, much quicker via Italy, more of an adventure via Greece. Whether it's fun or not is up to personal preference.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'd say the best route - ie more interesting, and not necessarily the fastest, would be;
London - Brussels - Frankfurt - Munich - Salzburg - Ljubjana - Zagreb - Belgrade - Thessanoliki - Athens, then somehow get to Kefalonia

Veteran Member
I'd say the best route - ie more interesting, and not necessarily the fastest, would be;
London - Brussels - Frankfurt - Munich - Salzburg - Ljubjana - Zagreb - Belgrade - Thessanoliki - Athens, then somehow get to Kefalonia
That depends on there being a service on the last Balkan section to the Greek border and Thessaloniki - think it's summer-only ATM, but who knows?

Dren Ahmeti

That depends on there being a service on the last Balkan section to the Greek border and Thessaloniki - think it's summer-only ATM, but who knows?
Belgrade-Skopje has been undergoing engineering works for aeons now!
I believe you have to take a bus between the two, or at least from Niš.

oldman

According to Serbian Rail:

In the period from Jun 14/15 to Sept 15/16, 2019, train no 1335/1334 “Hellas" will run on the route Topcider-Gevgelija-Topcider. The passengers will be transfered by bus in organization of TRAINOSE on the route part Gevgelija-Thessaloniki- Gevgelija

Leaving a couple of hours on the bus.

Ken H

On Moderation
Thanks for all your inputs

Going via Athens looks like a non-starter. The bit from Belgrade of Sofia looks well unreliable and bus replacements etc. Not my idea of fun.

Also the Athens Patras line is being redeveloped beyond Corinth so another long bus ride.

I do like the idea of the Venice-Patras ferry. Thanks Struner. Will investigate that.

Red star do Brindisi - Sami stgart 16th July and run on Tuesdays.
Venturis do Bari-Sami Mondays from 22 July 3rd Sep.

Ian99

I did London to Kefalonia last Autumn. E* to Paris. Sleeper train to Milan. Train to Ancona. Nice cruise to Patras. Ferry next day to Poros on Kefalonia.

Came back by ferry from Fiscardo on Kefalonia to Nidri on Levkados then coach to Igoumenitsa then ferry back to Ancona.

Ken H

On Moderation
I did London to Kefalonia last Autumn. E* to Paris. Sleeper train to Milan. Train to Ancona. Nice cruise to Patras. Ferry next day to Poros on Kefalonia.

Came back by ferry from Fiscardo on Kefalonia to Nidri on Levkados then coach to Igoumenitsa then ferry back to Ancona.
Ill check out Ancona - thanks

Ian99

Every time I go to Greece by ferry, I look at timings for Venice, Ancona and Bari and end up going via Ancona.

Teleros

- Travel from London to Brindisi by train, using Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Milan, overnight stop, then take a Frecciabianca train along the Adriatic coast to Brindisi. In Brindisi, use a taxi to the port a few miles away.
- European Seaways and Red Star Line each sail from Brindisi to Sami, the main town on Kefalonia (Cephalonia) once a week.
- And then take a taxi kefalonia airport to your destination.

Last edited:

Ian99

I've never been from Brindisi to Greece - only from Venice, Bari and Ancona. One day I'll go to Brindisi but it's a hell of a long trip to do in one day from Milan. Bari felt far enough for me.

The ferry from Brindisi must slip down the channel between Kefalonia and Ithaka - which would be a spectacular trip.

Sami by the way is a small town - the capital of Kefalonia - Argostoli - is a coach trip from Sami. I expect they have a coach awaiting the ferry's arrival.

Bungle158

I lived and worked in Greece for several years and have travelled there overland many times. I consider it far easier to travel via Italy and the Adriatic. In my early days, the route of choice was via Brindisi, some train services even ran to the port station.

In the 1990s, passenger services moved to the Costa Morena port, a few Km from the station. The local bus company provides a shuttle linking airport, station and port.

It's a long schlep down to Brindisi, but the crossing to Greece is of course shorter. Bari could be a compromise, again, local buses connect port and station.

For all the main Ionian islands, except Zakynthos, Igoumenitsa is your destination of choice. Direct services to the islands are sporadic at best, even in summer. A bus from Igoumenitsa to Prevezza and connection from there will get you to Lefkada, pop down to Nidri and there are ro-ro ferries to Fiskardo on Kefalonia.

For interurban bus info in Greece, Google KTEL, (generic acronym for bus operators) and the area of interest. Most sites have pages in English. This link may be of help in planning Buses on Kefalonia. https://ktelkefalonias.gr/en/

If using Patras, the bus station is around 300 meters to the left on exiting the port.

Sadly, the Peloponnese Railway is currently defunct, although there is a Corinth to Athens rail link and a city shuttle to the Paras suburbs.

Ian99

Following on from your point about the port moving in Brindisi, it's also moved in Patras too and it's now about an hour's walk along the coast to the bus station or a 2 Euro bus ride.

Having said that, the ferry did surprise me once in the last 5 years by arriving at the old port without me realising. I was puzzled by the guy who said to turn right for the main town until I realised what had happened.

Re the Ingoumentisa to Levkada journey I've never found it to work to change in Preveza but there is a direct bus once a day.

The bus from Patras to Argostoli on Kephalonia goes on the ferry with you which makes luggage and timings easier.

Enthusiast

I've been to Levkada quite a few times. I cannot ever recall seeing a bus of any description there!!! I usually stay just outside Levkada town and walk in during the evenings. I've honestly never seen a bus and don't know where the bus station is (if indeed there is one). 8-)

Ian99

The buses stop near to the marina and also near the causeway. The actual bus station is out past the marina.

Enthusiast

The buses stop near to the marina and also near the causeway. The actual bus station is out past the marina.
Ah! We usually stay the other side of the town, towards Agios Ioannis and walk through the Old Town. We were due to go there on Sunday week but.....

Bungle158

Following on from your point about the port moving in Brindisi, it's also moved in Patras too and it's now about an hour's walk along the coast to the bus station or a 2 Euro bus ride.

Having said that, the ferry did surprise me once in the last 5 years by arriving at the old port without me realising. I was puzzled by the guy who said to turn right for the main town until I realised what had happened.

Re the Ingoumentisa to Levkada journey I've never found it to work to change in Preveza but there is a direct bus once a day.

The bus from Patras to Argostoli on Kephalonia goes on the ferry with you which makes luggage and timings easier.

I hadn't realised the Patras bus station had moved, thanks for the correction.

With regard to Prevezza Lefkada services, they appear to be quite frequent, https://www.ktelprevezas.gr/en/homepage-2/ The issue, as you point out, is reaching Prevezza from Igoumenitsa.

Prevezza KTEL appear to be offering one bus a day, 2 on Sunday. Timetable info from the Thesprotia (Igoumenitsa) outfit doesn't seem to be working, although they do advertise a direct Lefkada service.

Nevertheless, if it is not possible to connect on the day, Igoumenitsa has several hotels and room options. The town is compact and has a good choice of shops and restaurants, although it is not the most attractive of Greek ports.

Ian99

I think the Patras bus station is in the same place - it's the port that's moved ;)

Yes, Igoumenitsa is fine to stay in. There's a park high up to walk in, there are plenty of restaurants and some larger posh bars used mainly with local people. Couldn't find anywhere to swim though - I was advised to get a taxi to a beach. Anyone from this forum who walks around the bay will probably spend the walk thinking, "this path looks like an old railway line". I couldn't however find any online evidence of an old railway in Igoumenitsa but I did find some EU plans to build a railway from Igoumenitsa to Thessaloniki (and presumably onto Turkey) which would be a major task and asset for Greece.

How I long to be back in Greece.....

jopsuk

Veteran Member
only just seen this thread- I'd planned on getting to Corfu this summer by similar means, and had settled on (and started booking) the following:
GN Cambridge to London
Eurostar (in the afternoon) London-Paris
Thello Sleeper Paris-Milan
Frecce (when I first started looking, this would have been Bianca but I think it should now be Argento) Milan-Ancona
Overnight ferry Ancona-Igoumenitsa
Local ferry Igoumenitsa-Corfu

About 48 hrs

Last summer there was a three times a week passenger ferry service Corfu- Paxos-Lefkas- Ithaca- Cephalonia - Zante three times a week, taking about eight hours

Ian99

Sounds good jopsuk.

Once when I did a similar route, it was only when I was on the ferry towards Igoumenitsa that I realised that the ferry I was on stopped on Corfu on the way. It was about 4am I think but there was a medium sized all night cafe to sit in until the busses start or the car hire office opens...

Bungle158

I think the Patras bus station is in the same place - it's the port that's moved ;)

Yes, Igoumenitsa is fine to stay in. There's a park high up to walk in, there are plenty of restaurants and some larger posh bars used mainly with local people. Couldn't find anywhere to swim though - I was advised to get a taxi to a beach. Anyone from this forum who walks around the bay will probably spend the walk thinking, "this path looks like an old railway line". I couldn't however find any online evidence of an old railway in Igoumenitsa but I did find some EU plans to build a railway from Igoumenitsa to Thessaloniki (and presumably onto Turkey) which would be a major task and asset for Greece.

How l long to be back in Greece....

Sorry for my confusion ref the Patras bus station. Entirely down to my misreading relevant posts.

I never heard of a railway in Igoumenitsa and l lived and worked in Corfu and Athens for many years. Surprisingly, there is a railway of sorts on Corfu, over at Ermones on the west coast.

Before packing cameras and dusting off anoraks, it is only a small funicular serving the beach.

Beaches are generally poor in Igoumenitsa, but Sivota, around 20 Km south has a decent beach and sporadic bus service.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If it's this one it looks really interesting as it's quite a small boat so can go down the canal in Lefkas rather than have to go all the way around the island.
That's the one- by going down the canal it's able to serve Lefkas town.

The dream would be an eastern Adriatic railway wouldn't it? All the way from Trieste to Athens. Wildy expensive though, with massive physical challenges (the western Balkans are very mountainous, all the way to the sea for almost the entire extent- and even bigger political ones (seven countries, not all yet in the EU, some still scarred by all too recent conflict, some still working their way out of decades of political isolation)

Status
Not open for further replies.