• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
On the Remaining C Stock Diagrams topic it says tickets are on sale for the 29th of June tour but when I click the link it says they will be on sale from Monday, which one is right? The Remaining C Stock Diagrams topic also says the tour starts from Hammersmith but the LTM website says it starts from Moorgate again which one is right?

The tickets are on sale, but you have to be signed up to the LT Museum newsletter - I have sent you a PM with a link to buy tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
It is working the other way around, so it will be leaving Wimbledon at 1308, arriving at Edgware Road 1339, and then working to Hammersmith depot. And provided that following the chaos that went on earlier today doesn't wreak havoc with the unit stabling tonight, it should be units 5592+5517+5533 which will have the honour of operating it.

Mikey C

Established Member
I saw a C on the Wimbleware tonight, going the wrong way. It's suddenly occurred to me, that could be the last time I see a C...

bluegoblin7

Established Member
10346318_10152068573201360_1411939015984953124_n.jpg

The Last C stock. 0544 and C69 5592 leads train 74 into High Street Kensington. 03/06/14

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
After today will that be just S stock only on the Met, Circle, Ham & City and District?

Domh245

Established Member
Yup, after today the C stock will be entirely replaced with S stock, the only other stock on the SSL will be the D stock

bluegoblin7

Established Member
The train has been withdrawn early, running to Hammersmith depot where it will remain until running the railtour at the end of the month due to mileage and ticket restrictions. It departed Edgware Road, out of service, at 0942.

The end.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I personally apologise to the readers of these pages as I was unaware of the decision to withdraw the train early.
The information provided was given in good faith from the Traffic Notice for today.

ModernRailways

Established Member
It went out of service early because the wrong train was sent out. The set they sent out is to be used for the C Stock tour and if it continued it would be out of its miles for when the tour comes around.

Glad to see them go, but not glad! I really like the S Stock, but the C Stock has served so long! Commuters love the S Stock so the majority will be glad to see the back of them.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
It went out of service early because the wrong train was sent out. The set they sent out is to be used for the C Stock tour and if it continued it would be out of its miles for when the tour comes around.

Glad to see them go, but not glad! I really like the S Stock, but the C Stock has served so long! Commuters love the S Stock so the majority will be glad to see the back of them.

Agreed, while it's always sad to see a stock leave service, the replacement stock is a great improvement. I had similar feelings when the 1995 stock replacement the 1959s on the Northern Line (and indeed when the Networkers replaced the EPBs).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It's always sad to see the end of an era. Odd to think the out-of-service C Stock at Farringdon on Friday was the last time I'll see one, wish I'd been able to get a photo.

The new stock is significantly better though.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I thought the refurbishment for the C Stock was excellent, but ventilation.. well, what ventilation? On a hot day, they were HORRIBLE things to be on. And it didn't really matter if they were moving or not as there was virtually no airflow. Obviously the busier trains were the worst, i.e. in the peaks.

So, all things considered, they won't be missed. Especially as they've been replaced by a pretty decent train - even if I wonder how long they'll last or what they'll look like 40-odd years from now.

Last edited:

Amaroussi

Dstock7080, don't feel bad about the last revenue day being a total damp squibb, C Stocks were not the highlight of TfL design in any way: while they may have entered the 1990s with a good fanbase from a radical refurbishment, it came out today with plenty o' enemies, largely from disgruntled commuters.

I expect to be bashed by the train's respectable fans for saying this (The first driver shunned the hastily installed PA announcements for constant announcements about the last C Stock in revenue service), but I always thought of them as being inaccessible and hostile dirty cattle-truck sardine sauna-oven hybrids.

If you regularly used them for your daily commute you'd notice how the summer quite literally turns it into Sahara-on-wheels and the winter makes it Antarctica-on-wheels (unless the operator enabled selective door opening). As for spring and autumn... well it's still a hostile environment with cold lighting and lots of graffiti from the friends of TOX.

I could have brought bubbly to celebrate its departure like those sacked TV-am technicians if it hadn't been for the alcohol bye-laws and my rejective taste-buds (the latter was the decisive factor), but I came anyway just to have some photographic fun. It's like being in the 1980s again, only nostalgic.

On the plus side, the bird that was on the tube was not a pigeon for the first time:

Little Owl on the Tube by κύριαsity, on Flickr

SPOILER: It's my cuddly owl, meaning that the only highlight of this whole day was my creativity.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Does it only have a certain amount of mileage left before it's deemed to be completely life expired?

455driver

Veteran Member
Maybe not completely life expired but some major component will have reached the end of its design life so that part would have to be renewed at probably quite an expense hence why the milage has to be kept below the cut off.
Yes we all know that the component won't fail one mile after that and it could be used a bit longer l but them is the rools.

Domh245

Established Member
Much like how a car must be serviced every so many miles, a train must as well. Checking for things such as brake pads, defects in the wheels and that sort of stuff. Supposedly the units operating the final train today would have run out of miles for the railtour. Whilst in all likelihood an axle wouldn't have snapped in half, or the heaters combusting mid-railtour, its still a bit naughty.

christopher

The exam's do not work on mileage as there is no mile counters on the C's, It works on a date basis so even if it was down to it running out of it's exam - It could of finished at 09:30 or at 23:00 and it'd still be in exam.

Domh245

Established Member
But if that were the case, why was the train withdrawn early? If it were due an exam regardless on that day, it wouldn't have been chosen to run on the railtour.

christopher

No idea, The trains were not even on the right workings on Monday to get them in the right places for yesterday (Even before the loss of all signalling around Earl's Court) for the scrap trains etc.

The last train could of quite easily ran until the last run and ran to Hammersmith then, The District Line management were furious when they heard about it I understand and tried everything they could to keep it out!

Established Member
I was on the C Stock from around 06:45 until it was withdrawn (picked it up at Notting Hill heading Northbound). Certainly glad I made the effort to catch the 04:48 to Liverpool Street, everyone else I knew who was intending to go for a last ride was too late! Uploaded the few photos I was able to capture: https://www.flickr.com/photos/max_rail_photos_ii/14159350479/

R.I.P my favourite sub-surface stock, looking forward to the 29th now for one very last ride.

Last edited:

simple simon

I thought the refurbishment for the C Stock was excellent, but ventilation.. well, what ventilation? On a hot day, they were HORRIBLE things to be on. And it didn't really matter if they were moving or not as there was virtually no airflow. Obviously the busier trains were the worst, i.e. in the peaks.

So, all things considered, they won't be missed. Especially as they've been replaced by a pretty decent train - even if I wonder how long they'll last or what they'll look like 40-odd years from now.

When the trains were new the ventilation issue was recognised and extra ventilators were later added. Not that it made that much difference. :|

I used to travel to / from school on these. In those days it was a lottery whether the train would be a CO or a C. I wish I'd photographed the route map on the CO stock trains - these were for Metropolitan and Circle Lines, as in those days the hammersmith & City line was not known as such.

Simon

Established Member
Trailer car 6567 was fitted with tinted windows at one point (pre-refurbishment) as an experiment to lower temperatures. Presumably it wasn't a success as no other cars were so fitted, but it retained these windows right up until withdrawal last year. Another car was fitted with plastic seats at one point, but as you can imagine these didn't go down well and did not last long!

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Car 6513 was fitted with trial air-conditioning equipment after refurbishment, as all C Stock were ducted for air-con upon refurb.

spinba11

When I bought my rail tour ticket said I would do a box office collection (I thought that it would be posted so didn't take much notice) I'm guessing that I will need to go to the LTM to collect my ticket, am I right?

tranzitjim

So can we confirm that all of the C stock trains have in fact been scrapped?

There are none which are sitting around CS Booth waiting for their turn?

Dstock7080

Established Member
So can we confirm that all of the C stock trains have in fact been scrapped?

There are none which are sitting around CS Booth waiting for their turn
6720-5720 are still in Acton Works, 6720 will be scrapped, 5720 will be donated to a school.

5578- 5721-6721 6531-5531 are still at the LTM compound at Acton. 5721 is to be kept for the LTM the others going for scrap.

5701 still exists at Royal Greenwich University Technical College, so 3 C77s will survive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.