• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

c2c 357s, Diamond Jubilee livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Electrostar

I wonder what Her Maj thinks of a quarter of the Union flag being cut out? Perhaps a semi-transparent tram-style window covering would be more aesthetically pleasing.

I understand one of the five units outshopped in this livery was named Diamond Jubilee 1952 - 2012. If memory serves the other week a GA class 90 received the name Diamond Jubilee and recently a DB 67 was named Royal Diamond. On the railway network how are naming rights decided, is it a case of first come first served? I assume any Diamond Jubilee related names have to be approved by the Palace but what about more general names? Would DB for example inform all other operators they were planning to name a loco after a bird, town, monument etc, or do they just make the arrangements and hope GA, Southern, Virgin etc don't do the same?

fgwrich

Established Member
Personally i don't think it's the most impressive of all the 'Jubilee' branded locos / rolling stock - If anything, making the coach Symetrical would have looked better with full union jacks over the windows (Contravision can and has i think been done before on C2C with the Green Unit!), and potentially moving the Diamond Jubilee logos to either side of the doors - So |\/|D@ National Express @D|\/|

*|\/| Being the union jack flag
@ being the Jubilee logos
and D being the Doors.

On a separate note, here's the First Great Western and Greater Anglia contributions:

FGWs 43186
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...1298978963_546148962_9586226_1399056680_n.jpg

And the Greater Anglia attempt - Which is nice to see the few old stratford traditions are still being kept up - White cab roof, Red Buffer Beams, Union Jack Flag :)

http://www.wnxx.com/pictures/90009.htm

ushawk

Established Member
I do rather like the FGW one, not sure on the C2C and GA contributions.

Any ideas if any other TOCs will carry a special livery ?

SprinterMan

Established Member
I think they all look great, although my favourite is 90009, that is probably the smartest a 90 in 'one' colours has ever looked! Well done GA :)
FGW's is also very good, but the colour of the blues don't quite match with each other.
c2c's is pretty good, but probably the worst of the 3. Nice to see NX make an effort though, which is rare enough in itself.

Adam :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Much as it pains this Republican, the GA one does look pretty smart- as noted, it's a traditional Stratford look. The c2c effort looks half hearted and tacky

SprinterMan

Established Member
Much as it pains this Republican, the GA one does look pretty smart- as noted, it's a traditional Stratford look. The c2c effort looks half hearted and tacky

Agreed, I hope GA keep it in this livery after the jubilee situations are over. :D

cj_1985

im not a great lover of the monarchy, but i think its good to see operators doing something to recognise the "event"
even if the official royal "Jubilee" logo thats being applied to the various branded locos/units , looks like a kid drew it with crayon...

the official "Jubilee" logo on FGWs power car IMHO ruins the other overall fairly smart and tidy branding.

as for the question about loco/unit names...
i think its just a case of whoever wants to name a loco or unit something does so without having to ask other operators if they are going to...

example being FGW and FSR both naming a loco/unit after the (then) outgoing MD of First Group "Moir Lockhead"

or FGW and Wessex trains both naming a loco/unit after "Isambard Kingdom Brunel" while EWS still had 60081 carrying the name

obviously there are cases where certain names can't just be used willy nilly due to trademarks ie. the Thunderbird related names applied to the Virgin class 57s

Last edited:

Electrostar

Thanks for the information. I must admit to not knowing about the multiple Isambard namings. I assume it was less likely in BR days, even during the 80s when certain depots had a habit of painting unnoficial names on locomotives.

As for the Jubilee logo, I assumed it was the result of a Blue Peter-style logo designing competition.

O L Leigh

Established Member
A Stratford silver roof...? On an ELECTRIC loco...? That's as wrong as a very wrong thing. No, no, no, no, no. Stratford is a DIESEL depot. As nice as 90009 looks it is an abomination; an offence against nature.

O L Leigh

TGV

A Stratford silver roof...? On an ELECTRIC loco...? That's as wrong as a very wrong thing. No, no, no, no, no. Stratford is a DIESEL depot. As nice as 90009 looks it is an abomination; an offence against nature.

O L Leigh

Sometimes I wish these boards had a "like" button like facebook...

Rhydgaled

Established Member
As for the Jubilee logo, I assumed it was the result of a Blue Peter-style logo designing competition.
Nail on the head, see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12520456TP
I was going to say it looked like a kid drew it, slightly supprised that it was in fact the case though.

The class 43 power car livery is rather let down by that logo I think, though that's not to say it would be a bad logo for most of the other things it will be used for.

Status
Not open for further replies.